What's new

Game Thread Nov 17, 2023 08:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Suns (Tournament)

Added to Calendar: 11-17-23

Does the NBA still do 2 minute reports? I'm interested to see if the Durant dunk attempt was an actual foul. That was the biggest momentum swinger. Jazz would have had an easy fastbreak layup if they didnt call it.

Lauri just looks injured to me. i felt like he had a pretty bad game, especially defensively (despite the monster block), but then i see he has 21 points on 12 shots. He just doesn't look right.
He's fine. He just got punked. Simple as that. Phoenix was giving him chippies whenever they could and he had his hands full trying to guard Durant when they were matched. Whatever wear and tear he has isnt an excuse as I'm sure he will have an amazing game within the next week.

The Suns only have 5 offensive rebounds all game, so can't really point to Lauri's 1 rebound being a huge issue, but the one he lost to Nurkic late in the game was one of the those game winning/losing plays you have to make.

He's fine. He just got punked. Simple as that. Phoenix was giving him chippies whenever they could and he had his hands full trying to guard Durant when they were matched. Whatever wear and tear he has isnt an excuse as I'm sure he will have an amazing game within the next week.

The Suns only have 5 offensive rebounds all game, so can't really point to Lauri's 1 rebound being a huge issue, but the one he lost to Nurkic late in the game was one of the those game winning/losing plays you have to make.
We are seeing different things i guess. He is moving really stiff and slower than normal. Others are seeing it too. He had a really bad fall earlier this year and has been grimacing more and reaching for his back and moving differently since.

I like how the 2nd unit of Sexton/THT played for the most part, but there were stretches where both would take no pass (or like 1 pass) possessions and the half-court offense was just off. They definitely arent a natural fit together, but will be interesting to see if they can figure it out. There was some good stuff though. The transition play was electric. THT was our 2nd best defender tonight behind Ochai. Talen feels like the only effective perimeter help defender on the team at times.

My most disappointing revelation on THT this year is that his ball-handling just isnt good enough. I dont mind his passing turnovers, because his passes are high risk/high reward plays that often pan out, but the turnovers he gets just because he isnt a strong ballhandler are very frustrating.

Jazz season high this year is 133. walker wasn't hurt.
The Grizzlies...

Are you really arguing with me that the offense isnt markedly better with Walker out? If you want to argue rebounding/defense is strong enough to offset that, sure, that's probably a valid argument. The offense is legit 50% more fluid without Walker.

We are seeing different things i guess. He is moving really stiff and slower than normal. Others are seeing it too. He had a really bad fall earlier this year and has been grimacing more and reaching for his back and moving differently since.
Yeah, wear and tear. Every player has those throughout the season. I acknowledged it. IT's the NBA, everyone has it.

The Grizzlies...

Are you really arguing with me that the offense isnt markedly better with Walker out? If you want to argue rebounding/defense is strong enough to offset that, sure, that's probably a valid argument. The offense is legit 50% more fluid without Walker.
Those goalposts are harder to see in their new locaation.

This was a loss but not an encouraging one. If not for Durant making every god damn shot we win this game. Hail the tank commander THT. he saved our butts tonight.
THT is the dude who salvaged the bad 4th quarter start and kept Utah in it....

Yeah, the bad start was partly him, but after the huge transition block he had he nailed a 3, hit an alleyoop, and sunk 2 FT's all back to back to back plays.

Reactions: hgb
Yeah, wear and tear. Every player has those throughout the season. I acknowledged it. IT's the NBA, everyone has it.
Ya I said he looks injured to me. he doesn't look right. Then you seemed to want to argue that post for some reason. Just you doing you I guess.

Does the NBA still do 2 minute reports? I'm interested to see if the Durant dunk attempt was an actual foul. That was the biggest momentum swinger. Jazz would have had an easy fastbreak layup if they didnt call it.
Yes and now way that one will change. Remember the call at the end of the first half that was reviewed with a no change?

That one kind of sucked because he was vertical and Key got put on the court earlier or after and they gave Eubanks the verticality benefit of the doubt.

Overall thought the officiating was poor but that we benefitted early and got the short end of the stick the majority of the game. Bill Kennedy’s shtick is tired imo.

Yes and now way that one will change. Remember the call at the end of the first half that was reviewed with a no change?

That one kind of sucked because he was vertical and Key got put on the court earlier or after and they gave Eubanks the verticality benefit of the doubt.

Overall thought the officiating was poor but that we benefitted early and got the short end of the stick the majority of the game. Bill Kennedy’s shtick is tired imo.
Kennedy makes me laugh so I dont mind it.

The challenge by Hardy was bad. It was such an obvious foul.

I thought the refs were good for the most part. They let a lot go on both sides from what I could tell live. It was one of those highly phsyical games that just makes it tough to decide what to call/not call.

I think THT had a block (maybe it was Collins?) on someone where they clearly had all ball then slapped down on the forearm on the follow through, also was a bad call and it was another one where the block led to a Jazz rebound.

THT is the dude who salvaged the bad 4th quarter start and kept Utah in it....

Yeah, the bad start was partly him, but after the huge transition block he had he nailed a 3, hit an alleyoop, and sunk 2 FT's all back to back to back plays.
So he helped clean up a mess he made?

1700323863471.gif

He's not injured. being injured means you cant play. If you are on the court having aches is not an excuse/injury.
I think some wear and tear is worse than other wear and tear. He is laboring. its effecting him. he keeps grimacing and reaching for his back. but you make a good point. maybe he shouldn't be playing right now until he gets right.
Luckily we have some time off now so maybe he can heal up and come back looking healthier.