What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Game Thread Oct 13, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Bucks (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-13-21

rjfan

Whiteside finally got his first impressive game (at least in a positive manner). Another level in terms of activity and engagement, even if screening not that great. That post move was interesting not only for a clean move, but also for being a well placed one, as of not forced, good reading of an opportunity to do so right within the rhythm of the offense, without the need to wait an especially designed set to get the ball down to his spot.

Not much confidence of how many nights he gonna show up competitive like this, but they should be the ones that might justify the contract (which at the minimum, may have its value), when not at it, at least now we should be able to go small, not only because of Rudy Gay, but also of Paschall (and Oni too when without Gay, to the board despair)

Last edited:

rjfan

Some pennies on Butler

Still some raw as expected a rookie, but the way he makes mistakes, he does it as a player exploring what he can get away (or not), and adapting to it (also been great his fighting to get the ball back right away after losing it, and also not shying away on following posession). Kinda of some expectations on him to show some nice growth (being able to cut down some mistakes) of his within the year, shows right approach to the game

Release the Kraken

Whiteside finally got his first impressive game (at least in a positive manner). Another level in terms of activity and engagement, even if screening not that great. That post move was interesting not only for a clean move, but also for being a well placed one, as of not forced, good reading of an opportunity to do so right within the rhythm of the offense, without the need to wait an especially designed set to get the ball down to his spot.

Not much confidence of how many nights he gonna show up competitive like this, but they should be the ones that might justify the contract (which at the minimum, may have its value), when not at it, at least now we should be able to go small, not only because of Rudy Gay, but also of Paschall (and Oni too when without Gay, to the board dispair)
I think Whiteside has bought in and I expect to see a great season in relief from him. I didn’t think I’d say this, but with his post up skills and shot blocking, I think he’ll be an upgrade at a discount to Faves. He knows if he slacks off Doke is there to take his spot. He also knows that this season is pivotal if he hopes to catch a better contract next season.

With he, Paschal, Gay and Butler, this is looking like our most productive offseason ever! We really do have the look of a championship team IMHO.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
not too overly concerned about Quin since Butler is arguably our best prospect since Donovan. Guys like Grayson/JWF/Hughes/Brantley/Oni aren't even close to being in the conversation.
Quin's one of the best in the business when it comes to playing young players. If there's a kid who couldn't even find minutes under Quin, chances are he won't have any luck playing for any other coaches on any other teams either. See Burke, Lyles, Dante, Bradley, NWG, Bolomboy, JWF, Brantley, Ty Wallace. It's not Quin's fault that we just drafted ****** prospects who have no business playing in the NBA.
A coach who turned Gobert into our franchise player to save him from a nightmare rookie season with Corbin would find a way to get Butler into the rotation. I mean, you kinda said it yourself, even a ****** prospect like Oni(who probably wouldn't survive training camp on any other NBA team) is getting minutes, why wouldn't an elite prospect like Butler get minutes? Rudy and Donovan got their minutes from Quin almost instantly and that worked out pretty well for us.
And so we come full circle. IF Oni gets even a single minute ahead of Butler then Snyder should be fired.

SteakNEggs

I think Whiteside has bought in and I expect to see a great season in relief from him. I didn’t think I’d say this, but with his post up skills and shot blocking, I think he’ll be an upgrade at a discount to Faves. He knows if he slacks off Doke is there to take his spot. He also knows that this season is pivotal if he hopes to catch a better contract next season.

With he, Paschal, Gay and Butler, this is looking like our most productive offseason ever! We really do have the look of a championship team IMHO.
His post up alone would be absolutely huge. Next time teams want to try 5 wide we make them pay down low. Even Paschall with his wider frame is capable.

SoberasHotRod

Last chance to see some of our guys that won't play much this season (or maybe they will with all the garbage time).

- Oni: I'm wondering if he got extended run so the team can make a decision on his contract. I think it's a tough call. He does some things really well. He can play defense on the perimeter and in the paint. He's a good rebounder, and is generally in the right place at the right time off ball. He has 0 play making skills and has to be able to hit a wide open 3, which hasn't fallen for awhile now. He could fit a huge need and be great in a switching style defense, he just hasn't made enough progress from last year to make me too hopeful.
-Hughes: Made some good progress over the off season, so that is promising. Showed more defensive potential and play making. I see him as an all around ok player, but not overly excited about him.
- Dok: He has to be able to defend a spaced floor in today's NBA. He's really far away from that. His screens and pressure at the rim make him a better offensive player than expected. I don't see him taking minutes away from Whiteside anytime soon.
-Forrest: I like him, but if only he could shoot. I'm not sure he gets any time with Butler. Probably spends most the season with the G league unless there are lots of injuries.
- Second two way: I would give the slight edge to Teague over Fitts. Maybe they have their eye on someone outside the team. Teague seems very in control and can handle the ball. Fitts can shoot and has some size though, so maybe he just needs some development time.

candrew

Last chance to see some of our guys that won't play much this season (or maybe they will with all the garbage time).

- Oni: I'm wondering if he got extended run so the team can make a decision on his contract. I think it's a tough call. He does some things really well. He can play defense on the perimeter and in the paint. He's a good rebounder, and is generally in the right place at the right time off ball. He has 0 play making skills and has to be able to hit a wide open 3, which hasn't fallen for awhile now. He could fit a huge need and be great in a switching style defense, he just hasn't made enough progress from last year to make me too hopeful.
-Hughes: Made some good progress over the off season, so that is promising. Showed more defensive potential and play making. I see him as an all around ok player, but not overly excited about him.
- Dok: He has to be able to defend a spaced floor in today's NBA. He's really far away from that. His screens and pressure at the rim make him a better offensive player than expected. I don't see him taking minutes away from Whiteside anytime soon.
-Forrest: I like him, but if only he could shoot. I'm not sure he gets any time with Butler. Probably spends most the season with the G league unless there are lots of injuries.
- Second two way: I would give the slight edge to Teague over Fitts. Maybe they have their eye on someone outside the team. Teague seems very in control and can handle the ball. Fitts can shoot and has some size though, so maybe he just needs some development time.

I'd keep Hughes and Forrest. Hughes has legit offensive skills - I'd give him another year to see how he develops. And Forrest does a lot of good things where I'd give him another year on the off chance he can develop his shot to the point where he can hit a wide open 3 (I have my doubts though).

The rest are not NBA players.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

Fitts >>>>>>> Teague for the two way. Roster needs and just overall nba talent. I like him more than Oni… Oni is coming up third imo between Fitts/Hughes/Oni.

I’d give Fitts the two way and release Oni to save some money of Ryan is asking the FO to save some pennies. It’s the easiest way to save a few pennies and Locke has indicated they might do so. Rather that then a meaningful roster player is traded later.