What's new

Game Thread Oct 13, 2021 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Bucks (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-13-21

We should raise our expectation on Butler though, as we saw the plays he's made against guys like Luka and Giannis, preseason or not. Right now he's a solid backup PG already in my book and should aim for a starting role in the near future, then hopefully some all-star consideration.

That was fun. Both Butler and surprisingly Paschall could be rotational. I expected Butler to look good but Paschall looks really good too. We need to give Mike, Joe, Don, and Jordan a number of games off. Give Bojan some games here and there too.

Makes no sense. Physically they are close enough for defensive assignments at that level (3rd string) and Butler is far far more versatile in every way, and is showing signs of being a better defender. Offensively it isn't close. If Oni gets the call because they don't want Butler and Ingles on the floor together because of some stupid depth-chart then Snyder should be double-fired.
not too overly concerned about Quin since Butler is arguably our best prospect since Donovan. Guys like Grayson/JWF/Hughes/Brantley/Oni aren't even close to being in the conversation.
Quin's one of the best in the business when it comes to playing young players. If there's a kid who couldn't even find minutes under Quin, chances are he won't have any luck playing for any other coaches on any other teams either. See Burke, Lyles, Dante, Bradley, NWG, Bolomboy, JWF, Brantley, Ty Wallace. It's not Quin's fault that we just drafted ****** prospects who have no business playing in the NBA.
A coach who turned Gobert into our franchise player to save him from a nightmare rookie season with Corbin would find a way to get Butler into the rotation. I mean, you kinda said it yourself, even a ****** prospect like Oni(who probably wouldn't survive training camp on any other NBA team) is getting minutes, why wouldn't an elite prospect like Butler get minutes? Rudy and Donovan got their minutes from Quin almost instantly and that worked out pretty well for us.

Last edited:
Oni is this year's Niang. People are going to hate him no matter how he plays and will be actively praying for his downfall.

Like a Niang that doesn’t do anything well? Cause Niang did a few things well.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just because Oni wasn't the lockdown defender that single handedly saved our defense doesn't mean he doesn't do anything well. He's still a solid defender and rebounder. He's just barely below average as a shooter, but if makes a tiny improvement that's all he needs to do on offense.

We have a team full of guys who want to have the ball and don't like to defend. You have to have complementary players and Oni fits that role. There is no other alternative to Royce on this roster. We know we can put him in the rotation and things will run smoothly, he proved that last year.

I thought Udoka looked great in that final run to win the game (last 5-7 minutes or so). He was clamping down on the defensive end and had a big dunk (after a nice block) and the assist for the dunk to the cutter.

Butler is so smooth. Gets where he wants… they’d played off him and he still got to the middle… could tell he didn’t want to settle for the three… so he could have gotten the pull-up three whenever he wanted as well. Makes great passes. Just cerebral… I already loved him and I’m surprised.

Butler is a serious talent. His start and stop is so fast. Once he gets into the paint he’s muscling much bigger guys out of the way with ease. Tonight he put Thanasis in the weight room and he also did the same to Kleber.

Don’t underestimate the defense either. He’s been creating a lot of turnovers. Led all major conference players in steals IIRC.

Whiteside finally got his first impressive game (at least in a positive manner). Another level in terms of activity and engagement, even if screening not that great. That post move was interesting not only for a clean move, but also for being a well placed one, as of not forced, good reading of an opportunity to do so right within the rhythm of the offense, without the need to wait an especially designed set to get the ball down to his spot.

Not much confidence of how many nights he gonna show up competitive like this, but they should be the ones that might justify the contract (which at the minimum, may have its value), when not at it, at least now we should be able to go small, not only because of Rudy Gay, but also of Paschall (and Oni too when without Gay, to the board despair)

Last edited:
Some pennies on Butler

Still some raw as expected a rookie, but the way he makes mistakes, he does it as a player exploring what he can get away (or not), and adapting to it (also been great his fighting to get the ball back right away after losing it, and also not shying away on following posession). Kinda of some expectations on him to show some nice growth (being able to cut down some mistakes) of his within the year, shows right approach to the game

Whiteside finally got his first impressive game (at least in a positive manner). Another level in terms of activity and engagement, even if screening not that great. That post move was interesting not only for a clean move, but also for being a well placed one, as of not forced, good reading of an opportunity to do so right within the rhythm of the offense, without the need to wait an especially designed set to get the ball down to his spot.

Not much confidence of how many nights he gonna show up competitive like this, but they should be the ones that might justify the contract (which at the minimum, may have its value), when not at it, at least now we should be able to go small, not only because of Rudy Gay, but also of Paschall (and Oni too when without Gay, to the board dispair)
I think Whiteside has bought in and I expect to see a great season in relief from him. I didn’t think I’d say this, but with his post up skills and shot blocking, I think he’ll be an upgrade at a discount to Faves. He knows if he slacks off Doke is there to take his spot. He also knows that this season is pivotal if he hopes to catch a better contract next season.

With he, Paschal, Gay and Butler, this is looking like our most productive offseason ever! We really do have the look of a championship team IMHO.

not too overly concerned about Quin since Butler is arguably our best prospect since Donovan. Guys like Grayson/JWF/Hughes/Brantley/Oni aren't even close to being in the conversation.
Quin's one of the best in the business when it comes to playing young players. If there's a kid who couldn't even find minutes under Quin, chances are he won't have any luck playing for any other coaches on any other teams either. See Burke, Lyles, Dante, Bradley, NWG, Bolomboy, JWF, Brantley, Ty Wallace. It's not Quin's fault that we just drafted ****** prospects who have no business playing in the NBA.
A coach who turned Gobert into our franchise player to save him from a nightmare rookie season with Corbin would find a way to get Butler into the rotation. I mean, you kinda said it yourself, even a ****** prospect like Oni(who probably wouldn't survive training camp on any other NBA team) is getting minutes, why wouldn't an elite prospect like Butler get minutes? Rudy and Donovan got their minutes from Quin almost instantly and that worked out pretty well for us.
And so we come full circle. IF Oni gets even a single minute ahead of Butler then Snyder should be fired.

I think Whiteside has bought in and I expect to see a great season in relief from him. I didn’t think I’d say this, but with his post up skills and shot blocking, I think he’ll be an upgrade at a discount to Faves. He knows if he slacks off Doke is there to take his spot. He also knows that this season is pivotal if he hopes to catch a better contract next season.

With he, Paschal, Gay and Butler, this is looking like our most productive offseason ever! We really do have the look of a championship team IMHO.
His post up alone would be absolutely huge. Next time teams want to try 5 wide we make them pay down low. Even Paschall with his wider frame is capable.