What's new

Official Draft Thread

THis was on NBADraft.net

Luke Babbit to the Jazz at #9? From Today's ESPN Insider Rumors:

"This year's combine darling? Nevada forward Luke Babbitt. Babbitt measured around 6-9 in shoes with an 8-9 standing reach. That doesn't blow you away. However, he had an impressive 6-11 wingspan and essentially measures up with Griffin (6-10 in shoes, an 8-9 standing reach and a 6-11 wingspan). But Griffin is way more athletic, you say? Not according to the combine numbers. Babbitt had a 37.5-inch max vertical, a 3.2-second sprint and an impressive 10.98 lane agility score. Griffin's numbers were 35.5, 3.28 and 10.95, respectively ... What about production on the court? Griffin clearly had Babbitt bested here. Griffin averaged 22.2 PPG and 14.1 RPG in 32 mpg his sophomore year. Babbitt averaged 21.9 PPG and 9 RPG in 37 mpg his sophomore year. However, Babbitt does bring two things to the table that Griffin doesn't -- 3-point shooting and ball-handling ability. Babbitt shot a blazing 43 percent from beyond the arc this past season and showed excellent ball-handling skills for a big man in the combine. Of course, Babbitt isn't as good of a prospect as Griffin was. That's why we've had Babbitt No. 12 on our mock draft for two straight weeks. However, we might have him too low. Based on what I'm hearing, Babbitt could be in play as high as No. 9 to the Jazz."

Babbit to the Jazz at #9 could be interesting he could be a nice replacement for Andrei Kirilenko and he would be a great small forward with D-Will as a point guard. Not a bad idea for the Jazz if they really think he would be a good player for them.

Good call Wolverine. Babbit is the man!

I didn't read the last 2 pages so......

I'm holding out hope that we can Trade AK + 9 to New Jersey for #3 and select Favors. If the Brookyln Jameses want to be Champs next year they could use AK and not a young buck like Favors. :) A guy can dream.....

Best case scenario:

Prokhorov gets a woody for AK and wants instant credibility in terms of a coach.
So he give us the #3 or Lopez for Kirilenko and he pays Jackson $12M to coach the Nets.

Kurt Rambis, head coach of the Minnesota Timberwolves, attended to the game between Caja Laboral and Real Madrid in the ACB league. According to “Noticias de Álava”, Rambis paid special attention to Ante Tomic, drafted in 2008 by the Utah Jazz. The Croatian 23-year-old center is averaging 7.0 points and 5.0 rebounds in 20 minutes per game in the ACB league with Real Madrid.
How much we interested in #4 pick?

Don't think Wolves would give #4 pick for Tomic. Jazz would have to give Tomic and #9 pick and probably a lot more.

In fact that Tomic dude it pretty good and starting for an elite club in Europe.

Keith McLoud and Milt Palacios started in the NBA. It doesn't mean they were good enough to. :)

What I am trying to say he doesn't look like an ordinary bust that will never be even considered to be signed for a NBA team.

In fact that Tomic dude it pretty good and starting for an elite club in Europe.
Any team trading for Tomic would have to be patient for at least another year until he is eligible again to enter the NBA.
https://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/36753846/sports/player_news

And do we even know how interested he is in coming over? He's probably making decent money in Madrid, and I hear that the paella and senoritas are pretty positive there ...

I think the Jazz have to bring in Udoh, Monroe and Whiteside and pick one of those players. Of course, Favors is the prototypical player for the Jazz to take in this draft, but it's all but impossible to get him. If Whiteside can hang close to the other two in the workout and not just get pushed out the way by them, I think you go with Whiteside. It's just too much upside to pass on. The only question is whether he can survive in the paint.

I think Aldrich and Babbit are decoys for the Jazz in this draft.

The Jazz need athleticism and explosiveness inside on both ends of the court at the PF position. Nothing else really matters in this draft. They've got Okur and Fessenko to play the C position adequately, and a player like Babbit on the wing won't make much difference if the Jazz don't have the interior presence.

Man, just looking at New Jersey, they only have 22 million on the book next year currently. Would be great if they would foolishly take a S&T Boozer, Kirilenko and the 9 for Lopez and the 3. Problem is that we'd have to take someone at 9 they'd like. Trade also wouldn't happen until NJ strikes out on several players. Also would have to be before Boozer signed somewhere else.

Still a good fantasy to think of. Favors or Turner would be ours. Whee.

I have a feeling Whiteside is going to get embarrassed in workouts.

I really doubt it. Whiteside only gives up 10 - 15 lbs on other guys, he moves deceptively well and has nice touch. If he can bulk up and make himself a better rebounder, I think he can be a slightly poor man's Tim Duncan. No, I'm not kidding and I'm not his agent.

Edit: Okay, the Duncan thing is a real long shot. But the point is, you don't get skilled length like that very often.

Last edited:
I really doubt it. Whiteside only gives up 10 - 12 lbs on other guys, he moves deceptively well and has nice touch. If he can bulk up and make himself a better rebounder, I think he can be a slightly poor man's Tim Duncan. No, I'm not his agent.

Dude got smoked in his workout with Hilton Armstrong. HILTON ARMSTRONG.

Wesley Johnson looks great as a wing. If he somehow slips, I wouldn't mind taking him. He looks like the next Rudy Gay to me, possibly even better offensively. He could actually have a better pro career than Turner, although I think it's going to be close either way.

For what it's worth, I also think Paul George would be a bit better than anyone we have at the wing right now.

Xavier Henry doesn't really look like he can do much that CJ Miles can't do. Maybe shoot a little better, not sure.

Okay, here's the article on NBADraft.net https://www.nbadraft.net/hassan-whitesidedaniel-orton-workout

I once watched Jamie Watson school Bryon Russel in one-on-one drills at the Deseret Gym. These little iso-scoring games inside the key are not a real indication of how the players are going to turn out. In a real game, Whiteside is going to run down the court and extend over either Orton or Armstrong.

You know though, if I were the Jazz, I'd invite Hilton Armstrong to training camp. He could be a nice back up for Millsap. He's more physical than Koufos.

Last edited: