What's new

Official Utah/Minnesota/Philadelphia Pick Watch

Ya you have to draft the right player so orlando hasn't done that yet. Thing is if you dont have the #1 pick then there is a chance you dont even have the chance to draft the steph, lebron, giannis, durant (he belongs in that convo), luka, doncic, etc.
But Steph was drafted a #7. Giannis at #13.

Heck, if you look at the All NBA Teams (1-3) in the NBA last year, 9/15 were drafted in the Top 5. A good percentage, but it does mean finding talent out of it is possible. Heck, go a year earlier and it's 9/15 who were drafted out of the Top 5.

But Steph was drafted a #7. Giannis at #13.

Heck, if you look at the All NBA Teams (1-3) in the NBA last year, 9/15 were drafted in the Top 5. A good percentage, but it does mean finding talent out of it is possible. Heck, go a year earlier and it's 9/15 who were drafted out of the Top 5.
So roughly 50% of the best players come from 5 draft slots… the other 50% ish come from the other 55 spots in the draft and as undrafted FAs… that’s why having a top 5 pick is important… yes you can land an all nba talent outside the top 5 but it may take you 4-5 as many attempts. Getting that top 5 pick combined with the assets we have and combined with Lauri/Walker… that’s something.

Minny’s last 12 games of the season are brutal. 8/12 on the road including 3 back to backs In that span.
Its not only that.. but check their schedule starting from January 25th onwards.
- They have only 3 games combined against the NBA bottom 6 (vs ORL, vs CHA, @SAS)
- They have 11 games against current top contenders (@NOP, vs MEM. vs DEN, @DEN, @MEM, @DAL, vs PHI, vs BKN, vs BOS, @BKN, vs NOP)
- They play GSW 3 times (1 home 2 away) and Kings 4 times (2 home, 2 away)... both teams being really bad matchups for them (also their two @GSW games are so late that Steph is back for sure)

The other 12 games not listed above are:
@UTA
vs WAS
@LAC
@LAL
@ATL
@CHI
@TOR
@NYK
vs ATL
@PHX
vs LAL
vs POR

I have posted this twice before.. but got ignored because people were caught up in their few wins. But that schedule is just downright ridiculous.

Also.. Vegas currently has Minnesota over/under line at 38.5 wins... which happens to be exact same as ours. Lakers are at 39.5.

wolves won’t win much with this current squad , missing KAT yes , Rudy hasn’t moved the needle , we’ve had enough sample size to see this now .

Biggest question going forward for them , who is the first to go , obviously DLO , but do they give up on KAT ? Edwards demands to be traded ? Or do they have the balls to look stupid and trade Rudy after one season , whilst giving up half the farm for him ?

The Thunder are opening up a can on the Sixers. That's cool.
Boston taking a lead on the Nets, who are playing without KD.

Good night for the Jazz so far with teams under Utah and Minny winning (OKC, Tor, Heat) and both Philly and Brooklyn losing. Now just need Portland and Lakers to win to cap it off!

Gradey Dick, Taylor Hendricks, Jordan Hawkins
On first glance most would be bummed on this as it mean we would be missing the main top end dudes.

But, IMO, this would be a sneaky elite draft potentially.

-Dick is a dude that could go day 1 and have an impact. Huerter from outside but a better rebounder/playmaker. I think he’s in the league for 12+ years.

-Hendricks is your high end ceiling dude here. I can’t tell if I’m irrationally high on him but to me he’s a dude in a 3 year “re-draft” is seen as the steal of this draft for anyone that drafts him in the teens.

-Hawkins defense means more to me than his shooting and his shooting is elite.

You’re relying on Hendricks to be THEE sleeper of the draft here but that’s a hell of a draft all said and done imo.

With a bit of effort we can be bottom 6/7 in a couple of games. Bottom 5 seems to be about the max, but with a little luck that could land a juicy pick.

On first glance most would be bummed on this as it mean we would be missing the main top end dudes.

-Dick is a dude that could go day 1 and have an impact. Huerter from outside but a better rebounder/playmaker. I think he’s in the league for 12+ years.

-Hendricks is your high end ceiling dude here. I can’t tell if I’m irrationally high on him but to me he’s a dude in a 3 year “re-draft” is seen as the steal of this draft for anyone that drafts him in the teens.

You’re relying on Hendricks to be THEE sleeper of the draft here but that’s a hell of a draft all said and done imo.
That would be fine with me. Whatever it is that's not tanking anyway.

I think we have the ammo to move up… I just hate raiding the coffers for that ammo now… which is another reason to sell off a bet or two for picks imo.

I’d really like Black or Wallace but I could also see us just staying where we are and pursuing a guy like Jones with our Brooklyn pick… I love this draft this far but I have a feeling we will be “plucky underdog” status for a few more years if we aren’t able to get a top four pick or at least two back half of the lotto picks.

The debate for me is Hendricks vs Lewis and as of today, Hendricks has the nod from me. REALLY like them both though.
Only thing with Lewis is his defense is bad… per some draft nerd guys that have really watched him. Not that it’s super uncommon. I think Hendricks has a high ceiling and I think he will rise up boards if he continues to play well. I might rather bet on his upside than GG.