What's new

Ok...Now what?

I think you go ahead and move Hood to the 3 and start giving minutes to Mitchell. Mitchell taking minutes at the 2 (along with Exum potentially) enables Hood and Ingles to cover Hayward's minutes.

Will Joe Jesus rise like the phoenix from the ashes and lead the Jazz back to the promise land?

Currently, it looks like the Jazz might take a step back and win 40 - 45 games next year, as currently constructed. It would be similar to the two prior years when the Jazz were drafting #12 in the lottery. Though now the East is so bad, that may be more like #13 or #14. We need to compare ourselves to Portland and Denver.

The Jazz need to figure out how not to become a treadmill team like Indiana.

Either

1) Keep the team together, sign some veterans to replace him, finish 6-10 in the west every single year... And eventually probably lose Rudy and rebuild.

Or

2) Burn it down. Trade all of the vets and big contracts except for Rudy for assets. Let Rudy and the young guys run the team while we retool with assets, cap space and hopefully decent picks.

We DESPERATELY need to do #2. But knowing the Jazz they will probably do #1. The future went from extremely bright to f***** in the blink of an eye. We were so close to a championship. It's so frustrating.
Not necessarily #1 or #2. Stars do gets drafted late on occasion. Kahwi leonard and jimmy butler come to mind.

Let's just say hypothetically Donovan Mitchell or someone we draft next year or X or something becomes a leonard level player. I think that changes things.

Always have to hope to get lucky in the draft. Mitchell blew me away yesterday.

I was saying trade Hayward for the Boston pick last year. Draft Buddy Hield.
Ya, I was advocating trading hayward for a top pick last year too

Don't sign some veteran to take minutes away from the young guys.

If we don;t finally give Exum a chance we are stupid.

Make Hood most improved player.

Give Mitchell every opportunity to win ROY

Favors in a contract year and wants to show us something? Let him.

Definitely don't tank, but don't be stupid either, let's figure out exactly what we have.
This.

It woulda been nice to get something for him, but Jazz FO thought that he'd stay with them if pimped him hard enough all over their radio station and on Billboards, commercials, and Locke's podcast and in Harpring's broadcast script. Never mind his never giving any convincing indication he was happy here. If only we'd traded him last year when there were those rumblings he wanted to play for Boston. Eyeroll.
If nothing else Jay Crowder would be nice to have now. Oh well.

I love Rudy.
I love Rodney.
I love Alec (please be healthy this year).
I love Fav.
I love Rickeee.
I love Ingles.
I love all the draft picks this year: Bradley, Williams-Goss, and especially Donovan Mitchell.

Who did I forget?
I think there's no one on the team who I don't love.

And, again, I'm one who, while recognizing Hayward's gradual improvement, never drank the Koolaid that he was a stud to build your team around. The Jazz are gonna be pretty much the same as last year.
Of course, the West got a lot tougher this year, so even with Hayward on the team I think the Jazz might've been fighting for a 7th seed. With Hayward gone, I don't see much drop off.

AND I really like this Mitchell kid. I'm really excited for the Jazz' future.

AND not having to pay Hayward his huge price tag really helps us out. We can keep guys we want to keep. And/or sign guys we want to sign. We can absorb contracts in order to gain assets. If we want to even do that.

I'm really excited. Things are good. Sorry to all y'all who feel jilted. Hayward's a dick.
you forgot JJ, neto, exum, bolomboy....

See what the team can do. Quin needs to change his system up and run more. Take advantage of Rubio's passing and try to bring some more shooters on.

We have guys that can step up. Only 1.5 yrs ago, Favors was being mentioned as an all-star possibility.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3297567-155/utah-jazz-notes-derrick-favors-hoping

Hood and Burks have been good for significant stretches. Maybe Exum and the new rook will show something. I'm hopeful that one or two or all of them will improve this season.

We will regroup and wait for the Warriors to falter.

**** Hayward.

That's only one way to look at it. I'd still rather take the risk that the players might think that and still rebuild than be stuck 6-10 in the West every single year going absolutely nowhere. It's the worst f***** position to be in.

You can't give up and tank right out of the gate. Might as well just trade Rudy as that's something that could really burn his loyalty as well.

At the same time, don't give out any deals that aren't extremely tradable. Give the team a chance to make the playoffs, but depending on how they're doing, it might be wise to dump a player or 2 at the deadline for picks. Joe Johnson could be really valuable to a playoff contender, so we might get a late first even though he's expiring.

Utah has to manage really carefully and see which way the team is heading. Give Hood and Mitchell a chance to take a step up before blowing it up and quitting on Rudy.

Not necessarily #1 or #2. Stars do gets drafted late on occasion. Kahwi leonard and jimmy butler come to mind.

Let's just say hypothetically Donovan Mitchell or someone we draft next year or X or something becomes a leonard level player. I think that changes things.

Always have to hope to get lucky in the draft. Mitchell blew me away yesterday.

Even if Mitchell or someone becomes a high level player, that's like 3 years out in the future. Maybe 2 if we are lucky.

I don't think we can do much for this season, just play it out and see what happens. It's gunna be hard figuring out how much to sign Hood, Exum, and other players. There's always the chance that Hood, Favors, and Burks get healthy and fill the new void of Hayward.

Don't sign some veteran to take minutes away from the young guys.

If we don;t finally give Exum a chance we are stupid.

Make Hood most improved player.

Give Mitchell every opportunity to win ROY

Favors in a contract year and wants to show us something? Let him.

Definitely don't tank, but don't be stupid either, let's figure out exactly what we have.

Good post.

You can't give up and tank right out of the gate, but you do have to manage carefully. Unless we look like a potentially 2nd round team, I'd seriously consider dumping JJ at the trade deadline for a late 1st. Even if we look like 7th or 8th seed, first round exit, we should be looking for long term moves that might be a step back immediately.

Jazz record when hayood missed games is pretty good iirc.

**** him

Edit: haywood

Goran Haywood is just the next small market project to go to a big market. If you don't think franchise tags are coming your fooling yourself.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It looks like if we flop out on Rudy Gay we'll probably have to watch out for players in the G-League honestly. Maybe we can find a Wesley?

Before Haywood did his double denial departure the talking heads were saying the players, and really the star players run this league now.

Kevin Durant had talked with GS players and decided he was going there long before he dogged three playoff games against them.

Chris Paul arranged his own trade to houston.

LeBron formed his super team twice.

The owners and gms are going to strike back. The next lockout will be a blood bath. The players will respond by trying to form their own league.

you forgot JJ, neto, exum, bolomboy....

I've loved JJ even when he was on the Hawks. I like Neto. I dunno how I feel about Ex long term, but he's a nice kid (hopefully he improves this year). Bolomboy I'm indifferent on - at least he's got a good attitude and isn't a drama queen.

I like Withey too although I dunno if he'll be around next year.

Mack? Meh.

Is that it?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app