What's new

Oscar Nominations

sirkickyass

Moderator Emeritus
Contributor
Two things:

1. I am astonished that the Lego movie was snubbed for best animated feature. I didn't even like the Lego movie and I can acknowledge that there is no objective argument that it should be on the outs while How to Train Your Dragon 2 got a nomination.

2. The Academy refuses to recognize the awesome power of Snowpiercer. Do they not realize that Captain America had to fight his way to the front of the train? THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN!

snowpiercer_ver19.jpg

Snow Piercer?

Stillborn thread...

I couldn't get through snowpiercer. I'm not a tough guy and all the violence did me in. It was kind of cool, but I couldn't stomach it. Also, I don't like the Captain America actor. Just can't stand his voice. The part with the teacher in the classroom reminded me of those child killers from Running Scared. The portion I watched was uber heavy-handed, and it's also the antithesis of an academy pick.

Love, love, love that American Sniper is up for six awards (more?) including Best Picture and Best Actor. I did it to win BP, 100 to win 2,000 and Cooper to win Best Actor, 50 to win 1,000, about a month ago. The Academy and their love for Eastwood and Cooper coming through big for me. Now they need to do it two more times.

1. I am astonished that the Lego movie was snubbed for best animated feature. I didn't even like the Lego movie and I can acknowledge that there is no objective argument that it should be on the outs while How to Train Your Dragon 2 got a nomination.

Wow, that is a shocker to me as well. I thought the Lego Movie was very, very clever. And the animation was top notch. I wouldn't call it one of the best of all time, but to use your example... I didn't even watch How To Train Your Dragon 2 because the first one didn't live up to the hype for me.

I couldn't get through snowpiercer. I'm not a tough guy and all the violence did me in. It was kind of cool, but I couldn't stomach it. Also, I don't like the Captain America actor. Just can't stand his voice. The part with the teacher in the classroom reminded me of those child killers from Running Scared. The portion I watched was uber heavy-handed, and it's also the antithesis of an academy pick.

The magic of Snowpiercer is not in its subtlety but in craftsmanship. Also in fighting to the front of a ****ing train.

I had a longish post written up about how the film is shot and symbolism, but then I found this youtube video and he did a better job than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9qKj1Q_OU

Colton can even watch it since it doesn't contain R-Rated material (unlike the delightfully R-rated film).

Al Sharpton takes the Oscars (or at least, a lack of racial diversity among the nominees) seriously!

https://www.businessinsider.com/al-sharpton-blasts-appalling-oscars-2015-1

I understand where he's coming from but this seems a bit myopic. 12 Years a Slave won last year and big portions of the cast won and/or were nominated.

I'm more concerned with the continued lack of female directors. Of course if they had nominated the director of Selma they would have gotten a two-fer on that one.

I understand where he's coming from but this seems a bit myopic. 12 Years a Slave won last year and big portions of the cast won and/or were nominated.

I'm more concerned with the continued lack of female directors. Of course if they had nominated the director of Selma they would have gotten a two-fer on that one.

Do black people ever win oscars for roles other than slaves? Honest question, I don't follow these award ceremonies.

2. The Academy refuses to recognize the awesome power of Snowpiercer. Do they not realize that Captain America had to fight his way to the front of the train? THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN!

Awww Snowpiercer.

When the fat lady is screaming for chicken I knew this could be a classic worthy of MST3K.
When the bad guys gut a fish to intimidate the good guys, well... it had Razzie all over it (Weinstein pleaded for the Director to cut the scene, but he pretended not to understand English).
But when the pregnant teacher pulls out an Uzi on the good guys after her piano solo, all plausibility went out the window and I realized I was in the middle of a nightmare with over the top class warfare symbolism.

I always wondered what was in the Coors Light Train...now I know.

Didn't Jamie Foxx win an Oscar when he played some blind singer?
What about will Smith when he played ali?

Awww Snowpiercer.

When the fat lady is screaming for chicken I knew this could be a classic worthy of MST3K.
When the bad guys gut a fish to intimidate the good guys, well... it had Razzie all over it (Weinstein pleaded for the Director to cut the scene, but he pretended not to understand English).
But when the pregnant teacher pulls out an Uzi on the good guys after her piano solo, all plausibility went out the window and I realized I was in the middle of a nightmare with over the top class warfare symbolism.

I always wondered what was in the Coors Light Train...now I know.

This is a movie about the entirety of humanity confined to a single train. Also, they have to FIGHT THEIR WAY TO THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN! Where does plausibility figure into anything?

Didn't Jamie Foxx win an Oscar when he played some blind singer?
What about will Smith when he played ali?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees

winners:
Best Actor
1963 Sidney Poitier Lilies of the Field
2001 Denzel Washington Training Day (Will Smith - Ali, Nominated)
2004 Jamie Foxx Ray (Don Cheadle - Hotel Rwanda, Nominated)
2006 Forest Whitaker The Last King of Scotland (portrayed Idi Amin)

Best Actress
2001 Halle Berry Monster's Ball

Best Supporting Actor
1982 Louis Gossett, Jr. An Officer and a Gentleman
1989 Denzel Washington Glory
1996 Cuba Gooding, Jr. Jerry Maguire
2004 Morgan Freeman Million Dollar Baby

Best Supporting Actress
1939 Hattie McDaniel Gone with the Wind
1990 Whoopi Goldberg Ghost
2006 Jennifer Hudson Dreamgirls
2009 Mo'Nique Precious