What's new

Oscar Nominations

Two things:

1. I am astonished that the Lego movie was snubbed for best animated feature. I didn't even like the Lego movie and I can acknowledge that there is no objective argument that it should be on the outs while How to Train Your Dragon 2 got a nomination.

2. The Academy refuses to recognize the awesome power of Snowpiercer. Do they not realize that Captain America had to fight his way to the front of the train? THE FRONT OF THE TRAIN!

snowpiercer_ver19.jpg

Snowpiercer was definitely one of the better movies of the year. Not sure where it would be nominated though.

I understand where he's coming from but this seems a bit myopic. 12 Years a Slave won last year and big portions of the cast won and/or were nominated.

I'm more concerned with the continued lack of female directors. Of course if they had nominated the director of Selma they would have gotten a two-fer on that one.

Fassbender was infinitely better than Chiwetel Ejiofor in 12 Years A Slave. Can't be nominated when you are outshone by that much imo.

I do think that David Oyelowo (?) should have been nominated, certainly more deserving than Eddie Redmayne. Selma was pretty bland imo, but Oyelowo was great as MLK.

Snowpiercer was definitely one of the better movies of the year. Not sure where it would be nominated though.

For everything!

I'm being a little silly in this thread about Snowpiercer on purpose, but I'm honestly surprised Tilda Swinton didn't get a Best supporting nod for the film.

For everything!

I'm being a little silly in this thread about Snowpiercer on purpose, but I'm honestly surprised Tilda Swinton didn't get a Best supporting nod for the film.

Was she the strong, authoritarian Swinton or the always nervous, stressed out Swinton?

I ****ing hate her.

End of mini-rant./

The magic of Snowpiercer is not in its subtlety but in craftsmanship. Also in fighting to the front of a ****ing train.

I had a longish post written up about how the film is shot and symbolism, but then I found this youtube video and he did a better job than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm9qKj1Q_OU

Colton can even watch it since it doesn't contain R-Rated material (unlike the delightfully R-rated film).

I never pegged you for a "but it's ART so it MUST be the best" kind of guy, instead of, you know, a guy that actually thinks.

Was she the strong, authoritarian Swinton or the always nervous, stressed out Swinton?

I ****ing hate her.

End of mini-rant./

Are either of those the same as the neurotic Swinton?

1. I am astonished that the Lego movie was snubbed for best animated feature. I didn't even like the Lego movie and I can acknowledge that there is no objective argument that it should be on the outs while How to Train Your Dragon 2 got a nomination.
i am astonished by ur poor taste and judgement. what pics u got on jason that made u a mod?
bad *** dragon >>>> lego BS

I never pegged you for a "but it's ART so it MUST be the best" kind of guy, instead of, you know, a guy that actually thinks.

I see, we disagree so I must be a moron.

That's the kind of reasoning that will really impress the yokels.

I like Snow Piercer more after I watched the whole thing, than I did while I was watching it.

It's a pretty good film.

I see, we disagree so I must be a moron.

That's the kind of reasoning that will really impress the yokels.

It impressed you enough to get a response so, mission accomplished!

The Lego Movie should have definitely been nominated for best animated movie. There is a reason it was the 4th highest grossing movie last year (ahead of The Hobbit, Transformers, X-Men, etc). It also got a 96% on rotten tomatoes.

The Lego Movie should have definitely been nominated for best animated movie. There is a reason it was the 4th highest grossing movie last year (ahead of The Hobbit, Transformers, X-Men, etc). It also got a 96% on rotten tomatoes.

May be too much self promotion is its downfall?

Love, love, love that American Sniper is up for six awards (more?) including Best Picture and Best Actor. I did it to win BP, 100 to win 2,000 and Cooper to win Best Actor, 50 to win 1,000, about a month ago. The Academy and their love for Eastwood and Cooper coming through big for me. Now they need to do it two more times.

Good movie, but I don't think you're winning those bets.

Boyhood will probably win, it was a good movie so I'm okay with that. If J.K Simmons doesn't win best supporting for Whiplash it will be a travesty, that whole movie was great, and he was amazing. Keaton will likely get best actor for Birdman, even though that movie was just meh for me.

My favorite movie of the year was Interstellar, but the media wasn't super high on that. Oh well. Still need to see a couple best picture nominees.