What's new

Oscar Nominations

Good movie, but I don't think you're winning those bets.

Boyhood will probably win, it was a good movie so I'm okay with that. If J.K Simmons doesn't win best supporting for Whiplash it will be a travesty, that whole movie was great, and he was amazing. Keaton will likely get best actor for Birdman, even though that movie was just meh for me.

My favorite movie of the year was Interstellar, but the media wasn't super high on that. Oh well. Still need to see a couple best picture nominees.

I doubt I have a chance with the film but I think Cooper has a legit shot. His career trajectory is exactly what Hollywood loves and he's one of their golden boys while Keaton may get the Rourke/Murphy treatment for actors who have some one hit wonder of sorts.

And yes, I know Rourke could've been the next Deniro. But he hasn't been. Not even close.

I doubt I have a chance with the film but I think Cooper has a legit shot. His career trajectory is exactly what Hollywood loves and he's one of their golden boys while Keaton may get the Rourke/Murphy treatment for actors who have some one hit wonder of sorts.

And yes, I know Rourke could've been the next Deniro. But he hasn't been. Not even close.

I would have no problem if Cooper won, he was outstanding.

I actually just watched Theory of Everything, and dude who played Hawking is not getting enough attention, he was amazing. Wouldn't upset me at all if he won.

I would have no problem if Cooper won, he was outstanding.

I actually just watched Theory of Everything, and dude who played Hawking is not getting enough attention, he was amazing. Wouldn't upset me at all if he won.

Carrell has zero shot IMO. So that leaves the two you mentioned, Cumberbatch (haven't seen the movie, you?), and who else? Who's the last guy I'm forgetting?

Oh yeah, Keaton. The frontrunner. LOL. Yeah, I could simply see him getting the Mickey Rourke/Eddie Murphy treatment of sorts and it going to Bradley Cooper. Especially if AS isn't going to win any other awards. It may hit both their young star checkbox and spread the awards around checkbox.

Last edited:
The Lego Movie was a major snub, but to me the biggest snub was Nightcrawler. Did anyone see this? I think the movie should have been up for best picture and Gyllenhaal should have been up for best actor. It's only nomination was for best original screenplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8kYDQan8bw

The Lego Movie was a major snub, but to me the biggest snub was Nightcrawler. Did anyone see this? I think the movie should have been up for best picture and Gyllenhaal should have been up for best actor. It's only nomination was for best original screenplay.

I didn't like it. But I'm the exception.... most everybody else liked it alot. You are probably right that it should have more nominations

This movie was very good, although not one of the very best of the year in my opinion. In short, it was no snowpiercer.

Jake Gyllenhaal has actually morphed into being underrated.

I really liked it but I don't think its best picture material. Too dark , too weird, too Nightcrawlery. I loved it but theres no way it would get a best picture nomination.

Carrell has zero shot IMO. So that leaves the two you mentioned, Cumberbatch (haven't seen the movie, you?), and who else? Who's the last guy I'm forgetting?

Cumberbatch was great. Probably my favorite movie of the year. Bradley Cooper was great in AS. Carried that movie for sure. I would probably put those as my top 2.

I really liked it but I don't think its best picture material. Too dark , too weird, too Nightcrawlery. I loved it but theres no way it would get a best picture nomination.

Really? It seems to me like dark and/or weird and unique movies get nominated all the time. Are Birdman and The Grand Budapest Motel not weird & unique? American Sniper and Whiplash not dark? I've only seen 4 of the nominees (enjoyed them all) but I just can't believe there are 8 moves better than Nightcrawler. Even more of a snub was Gyllenhaal not getting a best actor nomination.

Really? It seems to me like dark and/or weird and unique movies get nominated all the time. Are Birdman and The Grand Budapest Motel not weird & unique? American Sniper and Whiplash not dark? I've only seen 4 of the nominees (enjoyed them all) but I just can't believe there are 8 moves better than Nightcrawler. Even more of a snub was Gyllenhaal not getting a best actor nomination.

Birdman is weird, but not nearly as dark. Grand Budapest is cute weird. American Sniper is a blockbuster. Whiplash was a surprise but isn't nearly as dark. I would probably put Nightcrawler in my top 3 but I can also see why the academy didnt choose it. I totally agree with Gyllenhall not being nominated for best actor.

Also, I know the Oscars usually shy away from these types of movies, but Edge of Tomorrow was very enjoyable.

Dude, that movie was mediocre at best. The third act was butt awful. I am probably the biggest Cruise fan on the board but he hasn't done a great movie in a decade, Collateral being the last in 2004. I'm not sure what his problem is but he's become completely unnatural, inhibited, and full of badly uncomfortable scenes rife with overacting or overexpressing in parts. Maybe great directors simply no longer want to work with him (his run of directors for about 20 years was stellar) and that's the difference in his product.

Dude, that movie was mediocre at best. The third act was butt awful. I am probably the biggest Cruise fan on the board but he hasn't done a great movie in a decade, Collateral being the last in 2004. I'm not sure what his problem is but he's become completely unnatural, inhibited, and full of badly uncomfortable scenes rife with overacting or overexpressing in parts. Maybe great directors simply no longer want to work with him (his run of directors for about 20 years was stellar) and that's the difference in his product.

I disagree. He's had a strong decade-ish of work. Nothing extraordinary like his run in the late 80's and 90's (Rain Man, 4th of July, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire, etc.) . Last Samurai, Minority Report, Collateral, War of the Worlds, Mission Impossible (3&4), Jack Reacher, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow. Not that many actors can pump out that many above-average to really good movies over a similar time frame.

I know Rotten Tomatoes only tells a sliver of the whole picture, but it has a 90% approval rating.

I disagree. He's had a strong decade-ish of work. Nothing extraordinary like his run in the late 80's and 90's (Rain Man, 4th of July, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire, etc.) . Last Samurai, Minority Report, Collateral, War of the Worlds, Mission Impossible (3&4), Jack Reacher, Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow. Not that many actors can pump out that many above-average to really good movies over a similar time frame.

I know Rotten Tomatoes only tells a sliver of the whole picture, but it has a 90% approval rating.

Last Samurai and Minority Report were not within the last decade. The first is good a movie, the latter is a masterpiece imo.

War of the Worlds is God awful. MI3 and 4 are what they are. Fairly entertaining, nothing more. Jack Reacher was pretty darn good. I liked it. He sold the fights scenes very well. But it wasn't some great movie. Oblivion was another piece of unoriginal garbage full of some awful acting from him which is ashamed because Melissa Leo crushed it and the hot chick was solid. Cruise was just totally mediocre and I'm not sure why Freeman was even in it. In short, that decade doesn't come close to comparing to his earlier catalogue which is full of many, many great movies.

I thoroughly enjoyed Edge of Tomorrow. I agree the ending was crap, but it still worked for me if nothing else than just for the premise and the first 3/4 of the film. It was great fun watching her shoot him in the head while he tried to beg her not to. Good stuff really. The ending just struck me as a lot of sci-fi stories do: they get a good idea, run with it, and can't find a good way to end it (even Stephen King has done this a few times....I am looking at you Crimson Loser). Although if you think about the ending and the point in time when they start back up again after defeating the big alien it makes sense.

I am not much of a movie guy. Maybe 4 or 5 a year at the theater. I just don't give a rat's butt about 95% of what is out there.

So now that you know where I am coming from and that I am completely unqualified to critique, I will go ahead anyway. I found American Sniper to be a bit underwhelming and I tend to give the war genre wide latitude. I do think Cooper was brilliant and worthy of a nomination. The rest of the movie felt totally disjointed, as if it were simply individual scenes spliced together. I get that Eastwood was trying to cover a lot of ground and perhaps was trying, to some extent, capture the gravity of deploying, going home, deploying, going home etc., but it felt like it was edited together as an afterthought.

The main criticism I have is that the movie failed at what is at the heart of any war movie and that is to bond the main character to his squad/platoon brothers. There was absolutely zero attempt on this front. A couple of his buddies get shot and I am like "Who the hell is that guy?"

I also wanted to punch Sienna Miller in the face by about 45 minutes into it.

There are some more minor quibbles, but that is enough for now.

I am not much of a movie guy. Maybe 4 or 5 a year at the theater. I just don't give a rat's butt about 95% of what is out there.

So now that you know where I am coming from and that I am completely unqualified to critique, I will go ahead anyway. I found American Sniper to be a bit underwhelming and I tend to give the war genre wide latitude. I do think Cooper was brilliant and worthy of a nomination. The rest of the movie felt totally disjointed, as if it were simply individual scenes spliced together. I get that Eastwood was trying to cover a lot of ground and perhaps was trying, to some extent, capture the gravity of deploying, going home, deploying, going home etc., but it felt like it was edited together as an afterthought.

The main criticism I have is that the movie failed at what is at the heart of any war movie and that is to bond the main character to his squad/platoon brothers. There was absolutely zero attempt on this front. A couple of his buddies get shot and I am like "Who the hell is that guy?"

I also wanted to punch Sienna Miller in the face by about 45 minutes into it.

There are some more minor quibbles, but that is enough for now.

But what did you think of Snowpiercer?