What's new

Our broadcasting team

By the HEAVENS I miss Hot Rod.
I think those that are cool with Boler prolly too young for the Hot Rod... Hot Rod is the GOAT. I’d be fine with a sound board of recordings and someone synthesizing in the names. It’s be 1000 times better.

Thurl is fine but too mellow. He’d be good alongside a guy like Hots. Boler has no fuggin clue what he is talking about and seems more lost by the day. Good voice... go do commercials or something.

Boler sucks. He doesn’t just make the most annoying errors calling the game; he also makes errors in the top-line summaries of who the players are and what they do well. His prep work AND game knowledge is a nightmare. I hope Ryan pushes him into retirement.
On top of it he is losing his fastball (it was always kind of a knuckleball). Imagine Marv Albert except that Marv has forgotten more about basketball than Boler ever knew. He's not quite there but its clear his eyes are getting worse.

I've started rowing during most of the games or at least portions of the games... so its too loud to listen to the announcing. It feels like an improvement.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Boler? In my one experience, he was a total prick. Hate to judge someone by one experience.

Weird, I feel like Boler is a big fan of the Jazz and excited about this team. Until he slips a lot more I'm a fan. He's got that Boler-ability, yo!

Hot Rod was pretty damn fun during those great Stock/Malone years though.

When is Harpring's next game? He's gonna go super-homer. Expect high cringe-factor.

Does anyone have any personal experience with Boler? In my one experience, he was a total prick. Hate to judge someone by one experience.
I have heard this as well. The only experience I have with him gave the impression that he was way too busy or important to talk to anyone on the court, even though they were basically done and Harp was just chatting people up (we were sitting courtside and waited for the end of game interview to be over to snag a few autographs). Boler was aloof and wouldn't really respond to people. Struck me as kind of dick-ish. Harp was cool though.

The broadcast team is pretty dang good. They are at least in the top ten in the league if not the top 5.

Jazz radio needs an overhaul. In the Bay Area there's a radio station that talks Warriors 24/7 - and they are always excited about it. You can barely get the radio guys to talk about the Jazz even when it is the designated time for it they seem to launch into stories about:
* their golf game
* their wife's casserole
* a dog. they had twenty years ago
* an experience they had when playing college football

They act like there's not even an NBA team in the local area, let alone one who is #1 in the league and potentially winning the championship this year. Just bizarre.

Boler is frustrating to me. He’s fine until he tries to demonstrate any knowledge of the game. I don’t know how many times he messed up saying Bam Adebayo. The dood is a near all star and if you pay any attention to the rest of the nba, you would have zero problem with his name. Yet it took nearly a quarter last week for him to get it right. #smh

What I dislike about Boler is his inclination to giving awful nicknames. He called Haywood "the Dunkster" a couple years back and Thurl had to tell him to stop during the middle of the game.

Then he did it again yesterday by calling JC the "human torch"...

Just glad that guys like DM and Niang were able to dodge the bullet by coming up with cool nicknames(the spida/minivan) on their own before Boler can jump in and make up some weird ****.

Boler is nearly Steve Brown-level suckitude, except that he’s got better “pipes”.

Thurl, though. I am loving Thurl.

With Thurl, every response is “Absolutely,” or “No question.” I would prefer some occasional nuance!

That said the whole crew does a great job, and I am thankful we have them over what I’ve heard from other NBA broadcasters.

Boler is absolutely ****ing horrible. And getting worse by the year. No qualms with your other opinions.

Boone might be the worst color guy in the league. Just stuttering, muttering, missing his cues, almost never ever saying anything insightful, not finishing his sentences, etc .... he is terrible.