What's new

P90x

Earphones don't exactly mute the heavy breathing/ grunting and groaning either. Get a ****ing muzzle too while you're at it.

I've never tried the workout. I do an elliptical for 45 mins and then swim a little more than a mile. Combine that with watching what I eat (cutting out the **** and smaller portions) and I'm down 45 lbs. since Jan. 10.
My biggest hangup about trying something like p90x is that I get up at 4am to go to the gym. I've learned something about myself: If I don't get up early to work out, it doesn't happen. When I get home from work my wife and kids demand attention, plus I have other stuff to do, so the workout just doesn't happen. I worry about trying an at home workout (like P90X) that I would wake up my wife and/or kids. That would not be a good thing. At the moment, the only place to workout in my house is in the family room, right down the hall from the bedrooms. Is this a real casue for concern? Or is it something I've made up in my head? Plus, my kids are SUPER light sleepers.
I think the point of at home workouts is because people don't like to go to they gym when they are out of shape. P90X is still just working out, you can get just as good a workout at the gym if you really want to. I'd just keep going to the gym if I were you.

Earphones don't exactly mute the heavy breathing/ grunting and groaning either. Get a ****ing muzzle too while you're at it.

Were talking about working out...........right?

alg_when_in_rome.jpg

Week 3

Ok so not a lot new to really tell about. I'm still noticing small improvements here and there. My pull-ups have increased from like 3 or 4 at the beginning to around 8 at this point. Push-ups are also showing a lot of improvement as well. When I wake up in the morning and am super dehydrated, I can see my six pack pretty well.

Also, at the end of week 3 my body started to have minor issues, I couldn't finish kenpo because the kicks were causing my right hamstring to tighten up at about the 48 minute mark, so I quit with 10 minutes left and am hoping that loosens up. Week 4 is a welcome benchmark as it has no weight lifting involved, I am looking forward to letting my muscles recover. So this week is just yoga, core synergistics, kenpo, and stretching, then the real work starts in weeks 5-7 when I start the next batch of "muscle confusion". Sounds fancy, I know.

I can't believe it, but I'm starting this garbage. I've decided to take two weeks and attempt to get my body into real workout shape so I don't end up dying halfway through the first video. I've done the Yoga 3 days in a row now and I've gotten a little further into the video each day. It's amazing how much better you feel after you're done, until you wake up the next day and realize you can't even sit to crap.

My. Legs. Hurt.

That's awesome man. Keep it up!

I've never tried the workout. I do an elliptical for 45 mins and then swim a little more than a mile. Combine that with watching what I eat (cutting out the **** and smaller portions) and I'm down 45 lbs. since Jan. 10.
My biggest hangup about trying something like p90x is that I get up at 4am to go to the gym. I've learned something about myself: If I don't get up early to work out, it doesn't happen. When I get home from work my wife and kids demand attention, plus I have other stuff to do, so the workout just doesn't happen. I worry about trying an at home workout (like P90X) that I would wake up my wife and/or kids. That would not be a good thing. At the moment, the only place to workout in my house is in the family room, right down the hall from the bedrooms. Is this a real casue for concern? Or is it something I've made up in my head? Plus, my kids are SUPER light sleepers.

I think the gym can give you similar results as p90x, all that p90 gives you is structure. It basically instructs you how to work muscles that most people are pretty unfamiliar with working. I often find myself in awkward physical positions, but am grateful later for doing them. I think that some workouts may be a little loud with clanging weights and jump exercises so maybe this workout is not for your situation, but I would say that if in the future you are still interested, don't be afraid to substitute the gym for p90, it works.

I can't believe it, but I'm starting this garbage. I've decided to take two weeks and attempt to get my body into real workout shape so I don't end up dying halfway through the first video.
Cool. Good plan. I was in decent shape, already thin and whatnot and it still took took me three weeks of doing workouts and quitting halfway through and skipping days and generally being sore as hell before I admitted that I'd been failing and had to start over from scratch. Which is what I did and since then it's been on.

Though just doing Yoga's not gonna be enough, tbh. Even if that workout is TOUGH. Get ready to not be able to straighten your arms for 48 hours after you do chest and shoulders the first time, start and quit legs and back a couple times and throw up during plyometrics and the like. I don't know, maybe the wifey keeps you busy enough that you won't get sore from pushups, but if I were you I'd plan on going through the whole set of week 1-3 workouts a couple/few times before you get enough of a jumpstart that you'll be able to do them completely and in succession.

You don't have to go all out when you are starting. I'd suggest going maybe 75% the first time you do each excercise to get your muscles loosened up the first week and then go all out after that if you don't experience ridiculous soreness.

You don't have to go all out when you are starting. I'd suggest going maybe 75% the first time you do each excercise to get your muscles loosened up the first week and then go all out after that if you don't experience ridiculous soreness.

This is what I did on the advice of my friend who introduced me to the program. First week or so took it at 50-75% then turned it up. Seemed to help.

Cool. Good plan. I was in decent shape, already thin and whatnot and it still took took me three weeks of doing workouts and quitting halfway through and skipping days and generally being sore as hell before I admitted that I'd been failing and had to start over from scratch. Which is what I did and since then it's been on.

Though just doing Yoga's not gonna be enough, tbh. Even if that workout is TOUGH. Get ready to not be able to straighten your arms for 48 hours after you do chest and shoulders the first time, start and quit legs and back a couple times and throw up during plyometrics and the like. I don't know, maybe the wifey keeps you busy enough that you won't get sore from pushups, but if I were you I'd plan on going through the whole set of week 1-3 workouts a couple/few times before you get enough of a jumpstart that you'll be able to do them completely and in succession.

Good call. I'm not even close to getting through the Yoga DVD before I'm completely wasted, so I'm certain I won't be starting the 'real thing' in two weeks like I had planned. Once I can get myself through the Yoga DVD without pausing, I will then venture into the real thing. As it stands, I am REALLY enjoying the Yoga, which is a huge surprise to me, and can't wait to get up in the morning and do it again. I know, I know, it's serious.

I have a hot-pink yoga mat, btw. Hawt.

y'now what's a real bitch? Hip Rock and Raise. Doing that move with correct form tears me apart. It's worse than the scissors.

I hate it... but I love it.

Not really, I just hate it.

I was gonna say the the hard part is keeping those knees wide, but then I saw that asian hottie with her *** in the air and something got harder.

Week 4

Last week was the break and it was much needed. This week I switched to the phase 2 "energy boost" diet, and I feel more peppy, but it might be that my body has recovered during the rest week (by rest week I mean a week of minimal weight lifting, I still did a fair amount of yoga and core synergistics). I am 2 workouts into Week 5, I notice that I am getting stronger. Today was plyometrics and strangely it was the most difficult it has ever been. I think that my muscles in my legs are getting more conditioned than my cardiovascular system so I find myself short of breath and having to take breaks often.

Today was plyometrics and strangely it was the most difficult it has ever been. I think that my muscles in my legs are getting more conditioned than my cardiovascular system so I find myself short of breath and having to take breaks often.
Where plyo breaks me down isn't the overall workout, which indeed does a number on me, but there'll be like 15 or so seconds at a time where I just feel like I'm going to die. Like, when Tony goes to double time on the rock star jumps and jump knee squats and you're just landing and exploding over and over and over again (which is the classic, true definition of plyometrics). That **** kills me muscle and cardio wise and then it's over and you're supposedly onto the next workout, but really, there's nothing you can do but hit the pause button.

In general, I try to get up and land really soft for the duration, both of which make the workout exponentially harder. I do appreciate that it gets a tad easier towards the last third. Needless, it's still and will continue to be my least favorite.

I've finally made it through Warrior 1 and Warrior 2. Ya, that's only like 20 minutes into the video, but for a fat guy who hasn't lifted a weight or done anything aerobic since 1999, I'm fairly happy with myself.