What's new

Playoffs 2018 Thread

Speaking of that overturned call. I actually agree with MVP. It is a block, and not a charge. It is not a matter of opinion. Lebron was moving his feet and leaning into Durant's path. However, the review was about whether Lebron was in the restricted area, and NOT about a tough call that the refs have to make all the time. Then they overturn the call, eventho Lebron was not in the restricted area?

Has that ever happened? Is that even within the rules?
We discussed this already. Rule is kind of stupid. You can only trigger replay if you are concerned about player being in restricted area, but during review you are allowed to check if defender is in a legal defensive position. Lets say somebody tries to draw the charge by 3 pt line - it is not revievable lol.

Can you clarify what do you mean by indisputable? To me that call is 100% block, Lebron is both leaning towards left and has not set his feet. Granted I am not an NBA ref ( did ref basketball though in amateur leagues)...but if 3 refs looking at the replay decided to overturn it I assume to them it was indisputable that it was a block and incorrect call needed to be overturned.

I agree that it was a block but in real time and not slow mo, it looked like a charge, in real time i think the refs made the right call.

Uhm, you can move when defending and draw a charge. Where do you guys take this **** from that your feet must be planted? Defender must be in legal guarding position, that's it. Even Van Gundy explained it numerous times.

Uhm, you can move when defending and draw a charge. Where do you guys take this **** from that your feet must be planted? Defender must be in legal guarding position, that's it. Even Van Gundy explained it numerous times.

This.

The rule states:
“A player may continue to move after gaining a guarding position in the path of an opponent provided he is not moving directly or obliquely toward his opponent when contact occurs."

This.

The rule states:
“A player may continue to move after gaining a guarding position in the path of an opponent provided he is not moving directly or obliquely toward his opponent when contact occurs."

And Lebron was moving obliquely and did not establish guarding position. Thus 100% block.

Reactions: 8
Also, to those saying, this is some unprecedented call. Yeah, in the Finals. But it had been overturned a few times this season in similar manners.

Reactions: MVP
Of course the defender can be moving, but I agree that looks like a block all the way in the replays. Super weird rule, however, the whole reviewing thing.

This is the only rule that allows fouls to be changed, right? For instance, I know they can’t charge a foul seen on replay that wasn’t called initially, right?

No way that should have been called a charge. Lebron is not just moving, which is okay, but contorting his body to get into position and get the call.

I don't get it where you see a clear cut block. The only thing Lebron did wrong was he twisted his torso a bit after he was in legal guarding position. I am not sure what refs justification actually was but this is the only thing that I could see to support blocking foul.

I don't get it where you see a clear cut block. The only thing Lebron did wrong was he twisted his torso a bit after he was in legal guarding position. I am not sure what refs justification actually was but this is the only thing that I could see to support blocking foul.

Lebron's obliquely moving toward his opponent. You can't do that.

Speaking of that overturned call. I actually agree with MVP. It is a block, and not a charge. It is not a matter of opinion. Lebron was moving his feet and leaning into Durant's path. However, the review was about whether Lebron was in the restricted area, and NOT about a tough call that the refs have to make all the time. Then they overturn the call, eventho Lebron was not in the restricted area?

Has that ever happened? Is that even within the rules?
Your post doesn't make sense. It is a judgment call. It is subjective. Period. Even the refs who overturned would agree with that fact.

What any of us think about whether it was the right call or not is irrelevant. They shouldn't be overturning subjective calls.

Your post doesn't make sense. It is a judgment call. Period. Even the refs who overturned would agree with that fact.

My post makes perfect sense. "Judgement call" is a meaningless term that you keep throwing around. The rule has objective criteria related to how the defender is moving, and the replay shows whether his defense was within the rule. Judgement calls refer to live calls, where the refs make a judgement based on the limited information they have from watching the action in real time. It doesn't mean that some calls are supposed to be random.

My post makes perfect sense. "Judgement call" is a meaningless term that you keep throwing around. The rule has objective criteria related to how the defender is moving, and the replay shows whether his defense was within the rule. Judgement calls refer to live calls, where the refs make a judgement based on the limited information they have from watching the action in real time. It doesn't mean that some calls are supposed to be random.
Replay doesnt change the nature of the play. It is still a subjective play.

Yeah, I'm with Siro on this. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying but my belief, in a nutshell, is that the refs got the call wrong the first time and used a tool at their disposal, replay, to correct it. I don't see what's wrong with that.