What's new

Post your personal victories

I’d love to own a Collings mini-jumbo made out of maple, but they are expensive and hard to come by. Absolutely out-of-this-world beautiful sounds and control out of those. I had a chance to buy a used one a few years ago for $3500, but it was my first exposure to that company and I balked. It was gone a day later. The same guitar would be worth over $5000 today, I think.

You have to have all solid wood construction, that’s for sure.

I own some good Guild dreadnoughts. My favorite is a weird guitar by a company that went by the name Flint Hill for a couple of years. Most people didn’t like them, but I somehow got a really good one... the thing is full of character and sounds perfectly antiqued.
I really started getting into fingerstyle during the pandemic. My playing tapered a lot before the pandemic, but I have been playing a lot lately. I don

I have a 45 year old Guild D25, a "Chartin" D45 for campfire playing and a Martin D35, with light retro strings that is my go to for fingerpicking now (Guild does well too), but I haven't researched buying a guitar just for fingerstyle.. Even with light strings, it sounds amazing. Have a Taylor 214ce and Martin 000 and don't love either, so was thinking of selling them and getting something a bit wider for finger playing. I don't mind spending money on guitars, as they tend to keep their value.

I really started getting into fingerstyle during the pandemic. My playing tapered a lot before the pandemic, but I have been playing a lot lately. I don

I have a 45 year old Guild D25, a "Chartin" D45 for campfire playing and a Martin D35, with light retro strings that is my go to for fingerpicking now (Guild does well too), but I haven't researched buying a guitar just for fingerstyle.. Even with light strings, it sounds amazing. Have a Taylor 214ce and Martin 000 and don't love either, so was thinking of selling them and getting something a bit wider for finger playing. I don't mind spending money on guitars, as they tend to keep their value.
I think all solid maple is something to investigate.

I don’t think many people would recommend all mahogany, but I have an old guild D25 in all mahogany that’s pretty beautiful. Full of the warmest mid-tones (but it definitely struggles outside of that).

I’m generally of the opinion that it’s cool to have a cast of weirdo guitars. But if you find a high-end gem, then pounce.

I think all solid maple is something to investigate.

I don’t think many people would recommend all mahogany, but I have an old guild D25 in all mahogany that’s pretty beautiful. Full of the warmest mid-tones (but it definitely struggles outside of that).

I’m generally of the opinion that it’s cool to have a cast of weirdo guitars. But if you find a high-end gem, then pounce.
My Guild is the D25m (mahogany). Agree on the mid-tones.

I tried a Martin 00 that seemed to have better spacing for fingerstyle, but will probably explore a while before pulling the trigger. The D35 does a pretty good job now.

So I bought a larger gift for my wife for Christmas back 3 weeks ago and was concerned about her finding out about it so I wanted to make sure I could get it when it was delivered. I had to use a separate Amazon account so she wouldn’t see the purchase. I got charged for it but the order always said “order received” and never updated to shipped. I finally reached out to the company yesterday and they said it is pending on Amazon’s end and to contact them. I called Amazon today and they didn’t know why it was showing that way so they told me to cancel it and reorder. Wasn’t super thrilled about that but they informed me that there was now a coupon on it for $100 off. So now it’s being delivered next week.

Learned how to play Texas hold ‘em playing in a 30 person tournament with some pretty skilled players. I literally did. not know if a flush beat a straight. Buddy was sitting next to me coaching and pointing all my mistakes. Just having fun and learning not trying to compete. Incredible streak of luck. People gathered around the table in utter amazement as I was dealt great hole cards and incredible luck hand after hand. We are talking astronomical odds. I had 8 pocket aces. No clue what I was doing. Everyone watching including poker tv watchers said they had never seen anything remotely close to this luck. I was truly embarrassed to beat my buddy on the final table and win the tournament. It felt like a twilight zone episode.

How much did you win?

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

That's why he never invited you again. :)
Interestingly, I joined a poker group and my beginners luck continued for sone time (although nothing remotely close to that one amazingly improbable night). No one could read me because I had no clue what I was doing. I learned, improved, and have been losing ever since.

Last edited: