What's new

Potential additions for next year at SF/PF, PF/C

I'm not saying Harris bad, but he is overrated by Jazz fans and not worth that contract. Having Gobert with a supermax and Harris with a 5 year max would kill this team. I'd much rather have Bojan and a smaller contract.
This is essentially where I'm at with Harris. I've always been fairly lukewarm. I think if we had him, those "other things" he does better than Bojan wouldn't be all that obvious and would be overshadowed by "hey, this guy can't shoot anything like Bojan."

Let's keep the Equate version. It's packaged at the same place.

In my opinion, Philly has to trade Embiid. I'm not a massive Simmons fan, but I think Embiid is part lockerroom disturbance/part injury issues waiting to happen.

Philly would be unwise to dump assets in order to get away from Tobias. Maybe it's worth it to dump assets to get away from Horford, but the Simmons/Embiid issues are there even if Horford is dumped.

If I'm Philly, I'm looking for the best trade possible to send Embiid and get a wing who can shoot in return. This makes sense...

Wizards get draft picks from Warriors including #2
Sixers get Beal
Warriors get Embiid

Simmons, Beal, Richardson, Tobias and Horford is a really, really good team. Everybody can shoot. Everybody is an adequate defender.
Not sure #2 gets Beal... especially considering they'd have to eat the Wiggins deal. Warriors have Minny's pick next year with limited protections... that would need to be in there too... at a minimum.

This is essentially where I'm at with Harris. I've always been fairly lukewarm. I think if we had him, those "other things" he does better than Bojan wouldn't be all that obvious and would be overshadowed by "hey, this guy can't shoot anything like Bojan."

Let's keep the Equate version. It's packaged at the same place.
The other stuff in that trade would have to be real juicy to upgrade.

The idea of Tobias is better than the player Tobias... he's a great guy and has been traded around a lot. I think there is some empty calories there.

I don't think Wizards trade Beal for a pick. Beal is a star. I'm from Philly. I don't think they trade Embiid. He is their darling right now. There would be revolts in the street if they traded Embiid. Like, if Utah traded Mitchell. Those fans suffered for years to get Embiid, to trade him now would cause riots.

They have to build around Embiid for better or worse. I'm not sure who I like better, Simmons or Embiid. I actually think they could have worked together if you built around them correctly, but Horford and Harris ain't correctly.

I don't think Wizards trade Beal for a pick. Beal is a star. I'm from Philly. I don't think they trade Embiid. He is their darling right now. There would be revolts in the street if they traded Embiid. Like, if Utah traded Mitchell. Those fans suffered for years to get Embiid, to trade him now would cause riots.

They have to build around Embiid for better or worse. I'm not sure who I like better, Simmons or Embiid. I actually think they could have worked together if you built around them correctly, but Horford and Harris ain't correctly.
If Wizards had another young guy with star potential I could see them moving Beal to get guys on the same timeline... they have nothing going... they are a dumb organization with mediocre goals... they will try and be competitive next year.

Going along with this (and I know people will want to argue otherwise) but the reality is this:

Mitchell wants to play in New York. The Jazz only have him for a limited time unless there is the small chance they are competing for a title in Mitchell's last year. You can't hamstring yourself in anyway that limits how you can build the team the last two years you have Mitchell. You need to be able to have a contending team when he hits that point so he wants to stay and win over taking NY to the promised land.

Harris isn't good enough to bind your hands with that deal for so long.

But, as LeBron, George, Leonard, etc have shown, that might not even be enough.

I don't think the Sixers trade Embid and I dont think Donovan wants to play in New York. Someone might offer Philly the moon and they take it and Donovan may want out of Utah but I dont see NY as the landing spot.

Good points. It will be very interesting to see what they do because they have to do something. They simply cannot run it back with Simmons, Embiid, Tobias AND Horford again. They have too much to lose in terms of chemistry within the group.

Tony Jones keeps mentioning Derrick Favors, Aron Baynes and Marc Gasol as potential FA targets for the Jazz with the full MLE.
Not sure those guys can't do better than the backup role we have. MLE may be less than Gasol gets imo.

Tony Jones keeps mentioning Derrick Favors, Aron Baynes and Marc Gasol as potential FA targets for the Jazz with the full MLE.
It’d be very interesting to get Gasoline and move Conley to the bench and let them run pick and pop. Wonder how much gas Gasoline has left in the tank.

With Favs I wonder if we could do a sign and trade sending TB, Ed, and a second round pick for Favs on a 2/20M deal. NO will operate over the cap so it won't cost them room and will get them a young backup big and a solid vet that might recapture whatever he had in a different system.

Nobody else has Conley, though.
I think Toronto puts good sized one year offers out to him and Serge to keep the band together one more year. Something like 1 year and $15-17M each. Kyle is under contract for one more year... then I think they hit the pivot button.

With Favs I wonder if we could do a sign and trade sending TB, Ed, and a second round pick for Favs on a 2/20M deal. NO will operate over the cap so it won't cost them room and will get them a young backup big and a solid vet that might recapture whatever he had in a different system.
We could do that, then sign Neto and call it an off-season.