What's new

Potential additions for next year at SF/PF, PF/C

Can’t Conley opt out? I don’t see him agreeing to play for a bad team. He has his money. I think he’d rather opt out and go to the Lakers than get traded to a bad team.

TRaDe COnLeY
Conley was brought to the Jazz to play 2nd banana to Mitchell while the team pushed into the top tier of NBA teams before Mitchell’s max extension. At full strength, he’s probably 4th or 5th banana.

We may push into that tier anyway, but crowning Conley as the cause wouldn’t be accurate at this point.

I know you’re thirsty for this, though. And want to make light of the haul of assets we had to spend to get him.

Trading Conley probably doesn’t make sense strictly because of contract length; and I don’t see them trading Conley’s expiring for any other expiring contract that’s out there.

There are so many people eager to draw conclusions from a couple of games against what is turning out to be one of the worst defensive performances in the playoffs in a generation. Cool beans.

Let’s hope this improvement and cohesion we’re seeing is real. There are a few reasons to be suspicious. Let’s hope we get into the second round—and then get another break against a weaker-than-expected Clips team (PG is sucking and they have some injuries) or a injury-hit and inexperienced Mavs team. And let’s hope nobody in the FO overreacts to Bubble Playoff performance and its many unrepeatable variables. Let’s ride this weird wave as far as possible.

Conley isn't going anywhere - he already done Rubio'ed us with his playoff performance.

What are the rules in terms of player options and extensions? Conley has that monster $34.5 million contract for next year, but it has a player option. Could he potentially renegotiate something that breaks down that contract over the next few years? Instead of one year, $34.5 could we give him a declining contract that's like 3 years $50 million?

That way, we could comfortably re-sign Clarkson and use the full MLE.

I know Aaron Gordon has a similar contract. Maybe something like...
20-21 $18
21-22 $16.5
21-22 $15.5

Can’t Conley opt out? I don’t see him agreeing to play for a bad team. He has his money. I think he’d rather opt out and go to the Lakers than get traded to a bad team.
Once he opts in he has no control.

I'm glad Mike is now leveled up... I wonder if he was hurt or if he is just making shots now. In Memphis he took years to figure things out. Him playing well is great for us and I hope it continues. He had a rough 40 something games for us... even when he was making shots the offensive wasn't as fluid as it is now. I don't think it is just Denver, though that is part of it. In the Lakers game the ball movement and fluidity was amazing too.

I'm hoping the paper tiger is now her in real life. If so we have some other ancillary parts that are worth keeping around and could make one solid addition that helps really put us in the convo.

I think Denver is going to have to choose between Grant and Millsap this offseason. I think Grant gonna bit a little bit overpaid by Atlanta or someone in that tier. If Grant gets 12-13M a year and Millsap gets like a one year 10M type deal they will be at the tax. Their ownership group is allergic to being a tax team... it will not happen.

If you could get Paul on a 1-2 year deal at the MLE I'd be all in on that... I know he's been disappointing except for last nights game but off the bench or getting 20 minutes a game as a starter and bringing Bojan off the bench would be fire.

We'd have to find a home for Ed and maybe Tony Bradley as well as get JC to return around $10mish a year to fit it all in under the tax.

I also still like Torrey Craig... Big physical defending wing that can play 4 too... The price may be dropping a hair on him.

I also think part of the reason you see us move our pick next year is we will be right at the tax and can shave 1.5M or so by flipping that caphold to a minimum or second round guy. Unless they see a guy that can be a rotation player next year it may be better to get a project at a slightly lower cost.

I think Denver is going to have to choose between Grant and Millsap this offseason. I think Grant gonna bit a little bit overpaid by Atlanta or someone in that tier. If Grant gets 12-13M a year and Millsap gets like a one year 10M type deal they will be at the tax. Their ownership group is allergic to being a tax team... it will not happen.

If you could get Paul on a 1-2 year deal at the MLE I'd be all in on that... I know he's been disappointing except for last nights game but off the bench or getting 20 minutes a game as a starter and bringing Bojan off the bench would be fire.

We'd have to find a home for Ed and maybe Tony Bradley as well as get JC to return around $10mish a year to fit it all in under the tax.
In scenarios where JC returns, and also where we need to consider moving Bogey or Conley to the bench for defensive purposes, I would forcefully argue that Conley fits much better than Bogey alongside JC’s methods of attack. When JC gets stymied, there’s enough of a pause in the flow as he looks for an outlet that the shooters get covered. It’s better to have another guy like Conley who can breakdown the D with his dribble and floater. Conley’s defense is better against opposing benches, too.

As for Millsap: is he $9Million better than Morgan next year? I don’t think so. I prefer the idea of Torrey Craig.

Jazz are going to be crickets in FA this off-season most likely. Just not a lot of additions that can be made. Jazz got a full lineup and unless they lose Clarkson that isnt going to change. Combine that with the likely fact that the Millers will cheap out on the team due to the covid excuse, I just dont see ish happening.

They might sign a new backup 3rd string PG to replace Mudiay, but they might just promote JWF.

They might figure out a way to unload Davis and sign a competitor to Bradley for backup C minutes, but I'd be kind of surprised.

So if they bring back Clarkson/Morgan/Tucker on new deals (all of which I would assume happen), then that leaves room for the draftee @23 and one other signing.

Jazz are going to be crickets in FA this off-season most likely. Just not a lot of additions that can be made. Jazz got a full lineup and unless they lose Clarkson that isnt going to change. Combine that with the likely fact that the Millers will cheap out on the team due to the covid excuse, I just dont see ish happening.

They might sign a new backup 3rd string PG to replace Mudiay, but they might just promote JWF.

They might figure out a way to unload Davis and sign a competitor to Bradley for backup C minutes, but I'd be kind of surprised.

So if they bring back Clarkson/Morgan/Tucker on new deals (all of which I would assume happen), then that leaves room for the draftee @23 and one other signing.

Raul Neto will be the big offseason signing...

In scenarios where JC returns, and also where we need to consider moving Bogey or Conley to the bench for defensive purposes, I would forcefully argue that Conley fits much better than Bogey alongside JC’s methods of attack. When JC gets stymied, there’s enough of a pause in the flow as he looks for an outlet that the shooters get covered. It’s better to have another guy like Conley who can breakdown the D with his dribble and floater. Conley’s defense is better against opposing benches, too.

As for Millsap: is he $9Million better than Morgan next year? I don’t think so. I prefer the idea of Torrey Craig.

I'm not sure on Paul. He doesn't necessarily have to be $9m better. If you are trying to win a title you are just aiming for better right? Its only a discussion if we moved off of money and could avoid tax. I think that will be the type of offer that Paul likely gets somewhere.

I'm not sure on Paul. He doesn't necessarily have to be $9m better. If you are trying to win a title you are just aiming for better right? Its only a discussion if we moved off of money and could avoid tax. I think that will be the type of offer that Paul likely gets somewhere.
Our path to the championship moves through teams with bigger, more physical wings. Gimme Craig.

I do think a lot of the lower middle tier FAs will get squeezed unless the cap is somehow flattened or luxury tax is changed. Guys in the 4-8M range may find the market to be fairly ugly, which means there may be some value spending we could do if the right guy was interested.

I'm actually cool with running it back as long as we are committed to trying Oni and Brantley out a bit... along with whoever we draft. We had a lot of potential experiments that didn't really see a lot of time. Mudiay played a lot and was solid but he wasn't a long term project imo because of his contract status.

I think the FO is all in on Morgan.

They're semi all in on Oni.

Brantley is definitely intriguing enough to keep around.

And JWF will be the new NWG.

Blazers might be in the market for a back-up C. And we know Stotts is a big Ed Davis fan - Davis for a couple future second rounds would more than make my day. Hell I'd take Henzonja off their hands - team is in serious need a hair upgrade anyway.