What's new

Predict the Rudy Gobert trade

I think my realistic best case scenario is we do the Chicago or Atlanta deal and flip 16 or 18 with Conley for KCP/Ish/10... or you send Bogey/the pick for #7 (hopefully they use the trade exception so we don't have to give out value for dumping salary somewhere). I could also see a simultaneous deal where you send Bogey/16 for Bledsoe/7 and then send Royce into their trade exception for their 37th pick and a couple future seconds.

I think trading Rudy and Bogey or Mike will leave a vacuum that will cause the Donovan/Jazz partnership to explode in terrible ways.

Jazz are in a unique position where they can offer a team in the lottery a valuable player and also keep them in the mid-1st round. Bojan and Mike are valuable enough to justify moving back from #10 to #16 or #18. Jazz could then pick up Duren, Sochan, Williams, etc. as their young prospect with upside.

John Collins, Kevin Huerter, plus a lottery pick isn't bad for the Jazz. Then ATL can add a protected FRP or two. It's enough to make the deal happen.

I think Rudy gets traded today. I have always respected Rudy. He improved to a level greater than everybody thought he could be. I will wish him the best.

People think I dislike him but I don't. I just don't put much value on rim protecting bigs much less max contract rim protecting bigs. I don't think Rudy will be as successful with Quin now gone in a new system not built around him.

Overall, I think our team chemistry will improve after this trade because I'm not so sure teammates like playing with Rudy. At least that is the vibe that I get. I don't know if he's too emotional or incorrigible, but that's just the feeling I get.

I will wish him the best.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I think Gobert gets traded today as well. Just too much smoke, yet seem unbelievable. This is how the other major deals/changes in Jazz history have felt to me.

I'll reserve feelings/opinions for if it actually happens, but I'm definitely more ok with the idea now than I was a month ago. I'm kind of mentally/emotionally adjusting for it to happen.

Rudy probably gets dealt today. I don't attach any emotion to it. Rudy has been absolutely phenomenal, more than anyone could have asked for. However, this team needs change drastically. New coaching, new systems, new players. If our All-world defensive center cannot punish teams for the obvious smallball mismatch, we need to do something about it.

Rudy probably gets dealt today. I don't attach any emotion to it. Rudy has been absolutely phenomenal, more than anyone could have asked for. However, this team needs change drastically. New coaching, new systems, new players. If our All-world defensive center cannot punish teams for the obvious smallball mismatch, we need to do something about it.
Can't believe how strong this fake news narrative has become. Rudy isn't the problem, it is the rest of the team. No defense and selfish offense. We replace Rudy and we fall to the very bottom on defense, combined with small easily-negated guards and that is a recipe for disaster. Rudy has been our floor raiser the entire time he has been here. We are about to see the floor drop right out from under us. Lottery here we come.

Step 1: Trade rudy
Step 2: Lottery next 2 seasons
Step 3: Donovan asks out
Step 4:....
Step 5: profit?

Unless they get a stellar package this is our likely trajectory. Sure hope they don't botch this like they did the Conley and Favors trades.

I happen to agree 100% with this post. Rudy isn't the problem, but building around him also hasn't been the solution.

Trading him isn't blaming him - it is wise asset management

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

I think Gobert gets traded today as well. Just too much smoke, yet seem unbelievable. This is how the other major deals/changes in Jazz history have felt to me.

I'll reserve feelings/opinions for if it actually happens, but I'm definitely more ok with the idea now than I was a month ago. I'm kind of mentally/emotionally adjusting for it to happen.
There’s smoke, but the jazz value him more than other teams. If teams low ball them he won’t get traded. Who knows that could entice the jazz to trade Mitchell who is probably valued more around the league. I hope this happens.

I think Rudy gets traded today for 60 cents on the dollar. The discussion on this board will then turn into the we got screwed vs. the Rudy wasn’t worth much crowd.

Can't believe how strong this fake news narrative has become. Rudy isn't the problem, it is the rest of the team. No defense and selfish offense. We replace Rudy and we fall to the very bottom on defense, combined with small easily-negated guards and that is a recipe for disaster. Rudy has been our floor raiser the entire time he has been here. We are about to see the floor drop right out from under us. Lottery here we come.

Unless they get a stellar package this is our likely trajectory. Sure hope they don't botch this like they did the Conley and Favors trades.
This is exactly how I feel. Don't like spending big money on an elite defensive presence? Let's see how you like next season without Rudy when we have no defense at all.

Rudy is not the problem. The problem is we did terrible work around the edges. We had a nice window at a championship run specifically 2020 but the front office didn’t do their job. It sucks but it’s true.

Outside of the Clarkson/Exum swap I’m not sure there was one good move we made. Maybe lucking into House? We wouldn’t even sign him to a multi-year deal either for some reason. We have absolutely botched our last two MLE signings. The most inexcusable moves was signing Favors, drafting Udoka and then using a first to get off of Favors salary.

Then we have Ingles expiring contract and we didn’t get a difference maker for it, a pick or anything besides future salary in NAW that who knows what we will do with. So many picks burned to dump salary and we still were in the tax this year. Just mind boggling work around the edges.

Now, Rudy’s value is at the highest it will be and that is why we should move him. He’s not the problem but we need to move forward and get a some assets for our empty cupboard. I don’t think anyone can say with a straight face that the Chicago package will make us contenders or even serious playoff threats.

We do that deal to get 18, hopefully a future first and most importantly Williams. We hope Williams takes a step forward and maybe we get a solid player at 18. Donovan/Williams end up in the lottery and maybe we get lucky at a top pick or a top-10 pick. At that point hopefully we have assets to make a move for someone that makes a difference.

Maybe Vucevic plays extremely and we deal him at the trade deadline for more assets. Once you embrace being bad you can can do quite a bit of different things.

Donovan may or may not ask out who knows. Nobody knows for certain. Lillard and Beal have been rumored to ask out damn near every year and yet here we are. If he does want out and does ask out he’s actually doing us a favor vs just leaving in FA like Hayward did. Donovan/Williams plus draft picks is our future and it at least gives us a shot at something vs what we have right now.

Last edited:
Can't believe how strong this fake news narrative has become.
Almost all narratives have some truth in them and there is much truth in this one. Simply put, if your supermax-level Center cannot abuse a player he has 8 inches and 100 lbs. on down the blocks while on offense, that's a problem. Yes, yes, he's an elite downhill PnR runner blah blah blah blah blah. That is irrelevant. Gobert is this generations best defender and one of the best ever. But he also has Ostertag-level hands for catching apparently.

The Jazz have had two systemic issues the last half decade. A lack of ability to defend the perimeter with any consistency and the inability to abuse small-ball lineups. The latter is largely on Gobert. He's had years to develop some sort of post move set or a go-to move. If you have that mismatch, you abuse that every damn time you can because it's so easy exploit. But Gobert can't. Why? I don't know, and I don't really care anymore.

Jazz better be ****ing better than before if they trade rudy. He has been my fav player for a long time. better be worth it

Sent from my SM-G977N using JazzFanz mobile app
I see no scenario or way the Jazz could get better trading Rudy since no one will value him like the Jazz do and he’s on the wrong side of age/contract size.

I see no scenario or way the Jazz could get better trading Rudy since no one will value him like the Jazz do and he’s on the wrong side of age/contract size.

OG/Trent Jr package we could be competitive same with the Atlanta package. We are headed for the lottery with the Chicago package though.

Almost all narratives have some truth in them and there is much truth in this one. Simply put, if your supermax-level Center cannot abuse a player he has 8 inches and 100 lbs. on down the blocks while on offense, that's a problem. Yes, yes, he's an elite downhill PnR runner blah blah blah blah blah. That is irrelevant. Gobert is this generations best defender and one of the best ever. But he also has Ostertag-level hands for catching apparently.

The Jazz have had two systemic issues the last half decade. A lack of ability to defend the perimeter with any consistency and the inability to abuse small-ball lineups. The latter is largely on Gobert. He's had years to develop some sort of post move set or a go-to move. If you have that mismatch, you abuse that every damn time you can because it's so easy exploit. But Gobert can't. Why? I don't know, and I don't really care anymore.
Are you sure he can’t? He looked pretty impressive in the Olympics. The guy gets 7-8 shots per game and averages 15 points.

We shouldn’t confuse other players not passing it down low as an issue with Gobert.