What's new

Rio Olympics anyone?

First of all she did not crossed the line with her feet or body or hit anybody, Felix bumped into her with her right arm but she had baton in left arm and still made few steps before dropping it. One could argue that it probably made no real difference and that is Felix who actually run into outstretched arm of the brazilian runner. Anyway, no matter the rules I have doubt that any other countries protest would have been effective.
Watch video reply...Brazilians arm is in the way but she did not do it on purpose, heck american is behind her, she did not even see her. Contrary Felix had her in her sight and had all possibilities to avoid her.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...yson-Felix-ELBOWED-Brazilian-DROPS-baton.html

There are set rules and the Brazilian girl broke them, every credible person in the industry is not arguing with this ruling it was very easy obvious call. It does not matter if it effected Felix or not that is arbitrary and not how the decisions are made. A runner does not need to attempt to avoid someone in their lane. She crossed over and made contact, easy call case closed. The US girls arm is not necessarily across the line. That picture is at an angle not straight on.

There are set rules and the Brazilian girl broke them, every credible person in the industry is not arguing with this ruling it was very easy obvious call. It does not matter if it effected Felix or not that is arbitrary and not how the decisions are made. A runner does not need to attempt to avoid someone in their lane. She crossed over and made contact, easy call case closed. The US girls arm is not necessarily across the line. That picture is at an angle not straight on.

Again, rules say foot over the line. Nothing said about arms. Her feet are inside her own line all the time. I bet if roles were reversed you all would be crying bloody murder.

Again, rules say foot over the line. Nothing said about arms. Her feet are inside her own line all the time. I bet if roles were reversed you all would be crying bloody murder.

Any obstruction on another runner is grounds for DQ. Rule 163.4

Any competitor or participant jostling, running across, or obstructing another
competitor or participant so as to impede his or her progress shall be liable to
disqualification in that event.
The Referee shall have the authority to order the race to
be re-held, excluding the disqualified competitor or, in the case of a heat, to permit
any competitor(s) seriously affected by jostling or obstruction (other than the
disqualified competitor) to compete in a subsequent round of the race. Normally, such
an athlete should have completed the event with bona fide effort. Regardless of whether
there has been a disqualification, the Referee, in exceptional circumstances, shall also
have the authority to advance a competitor seriously affected by jostling or obstruction or
to order the race to be re-held if it is just and reasonable to do so.
NOTE:
Some factors to be considered when determining a disqualification include safety,
equitable competition, severity of the infraction and resulting consequence

Though I suppose the IAAF is the governing body here, we'll look at rule 163.2(b)...What the heck, I'll through (a) in there as well.

2. if an athlete is jostled or obstructed during an event so as to impede
his progress, then:

(a) if the jostling or obstruction is considered unintentional or is
caused otherwise than by an athlete, the Referee may, if he is of
the opinion that an athlete (or his team) was seriously affected,
order that the race be re-held or allow the affected athlete (or
team) to compete in a subsequent round of the event;

(b) if another athlete is found by the Referee to be responsible for
the jostling or obstruction, such athlete (or his team) shall be
liable to disqualification from that event. the Referee may, if
he is of the opinion that an athlete (or his team) was seriously
affected, order that the race be re-held excluding any
disqualified athlete (or team) or allow any affected athlete (or
team) (other than any disqualified athlete or team) to compete
in a subsequent round of the event.
in both cases Rule 163.2(a) and (b), such athlete (or team) should
normally have completed the event with bona fide effort.

The end is what Felix was referring when she was interviewed afterword and had the team finish the race.

Seems like the official re-ran the race, but only with the affected party. The referee made the determination that the jostling affected the team seriously (read: causing, or at least contributing to the faulty baton exchange) so that s/he had the race re-held and further determined that the other athlete was responsible for the jostling and then subsequently DQ'd from the event.

Also, there is no rule specifically about only feet having to be in one's lane.

163.3 (a) is the only governing rule here.

3. (a) in all races run in lanes, each athlete shall keep within his
allocated lane from start to finish. this shall also apply to any
portion of a race run in lanes.

So, in the end, 163.3 was violated, causing rule 163.2 (b) to be invoked.

Also, there is no rule specifically about only feet having to be in one's lane.

163.3 (a) is the only governing rule here.

So, in the end, 163.3 was violated, causing rule 163.2 (b) to be invoked.

It's such a grey zone though. I was running 100m and 200 m when in university, we were always told to watch our feet not to step over the line as the only caution. Look at this image from men's relay finish. All athletes arms are over the lines. So in theory they all are violating the rules if we apply the same situation which help USA.

r

Field Hockey gets my vote for worst Olympic sport. It looks like it would be extremely boring to play, not fun at all, needs some rollerblades mixed in or something, and it's brutal to watch. Everyone that plays that game should get free chiropractor visits for life. The sticks aren't even long enough.

It's such a grey zone though. I was running 100m and 200 m when in university, we were always told to watch our feet not to step over the line as the only caution. Look at this image from men's relay finish. All athletes arms are over the lines. So in theory they all are violating the rules if we apply the same situation which help USA.

r
None of them are impeding another athlete.

Field Hockey gets my vote for worst Olympic sport. It looks like it would be extremely boring to play, not fun at all, needs some rollerblades mixed in or something, and it's brutal to watch. Everyone that plays that game should get free chiropractor visits for life. The sticks aren't even long enough.
Missed the synchronized swimming, huh?

None of them are impeding another athlete.

But that is silly to expect that you need to watch behind if somebody is running close to you and will run into your outstretched arm. You run forward as fast as you can, it should be enough for your feet and body to stay in your lane and arms should not matter unless you really do it on purpose which was clearly not the case in Brazilian runner situation. Anyway I am beating a dead horse here but I think rules need to be defined better or changed.

r

LULZ. That is the end of the race and no one is affecting anyone else.

Rule 163.4 (b)

4. An athlete shall not be disqualified if he;

(b) steps or runs outside his lane in the straight, any straight part of
the diversion from the track for the steeplechase water jump or
outside the outer line of his lane on the bend,
with no material advantage thereby being gained and no other
athlete being jostled or obstructed so as to impede his progress.

But that is silly to expect that you need to watch behind if somebody is running close to you and will run into your outstretched arm. You run forward as fast as you can, it should be enough for your feet and body to stay in your lane and arms should not matter unless you really do it on purpose which was clearly not the case in Brazilian runner situation. Anyway I am beating a dead horse here but I think rules need to be defined better or changed.

You're changing the goal posts. Your initial complaint was USA getting preferential treatment, thus the rules being implemented unfairly. Now that it is shown that the rules were followed perfectly, you're complaining about the rules themselves. You're looking for reasons to hate on the US and no amount of factual information will change that. That's why you're being methodically trounced on every post you make in this thread.

It sounds more like you don't know the sport well, don't like the rules and think they should be changed. I have not heard anyone well versed in track who agrees with your opinion.