What's new

Rudy Gobert 5 years, $205M

If it was 30M a year what cap space does that open? Please make sure to know the math cuz I do.

also please understand our new owners are worth well over 21B collectively... Balmer is worth 51B iirc... we are so well funded and will pay the tax and won’t move the franchise.

30 or 40 M really only means Ryan is spending extra... does not materially change what we do.
Hey buddy. My argument has always been the long term. So let's say this is the deal:

21-22 $41
22-23 $41
23-24 $41
24-25 $41
25-26 $41

In 2022, Joe is off the books. We have $53 million committed to Bojan, Clarkson, Royce and Favors. Bojan and Favors are expiring for $30 million. The $10 million you are referring to might be relevant especially to the repeat luxury.

In 2023, Bojan and Favors are off the books with Clarkson and Royce as expirings. The $10 million you are referring to will be relevant because this is when Rudy starts to slide and we need reinforcements.

I'm hopeful that $20+ million of this is incentives. If he earns it, give it to him. If its straight up all guaranteed, its going to be really hard to rationalize giving that much to him in years 3, 4 and 5.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

If I'm reading the NBA's stats page right, Rudy was +26 in the series, so I'm not convinced he was actually outplayed.

Great example of how a stat could be found to rationalize pretty much anything.

We went out and got Favors because we simply could not slow down Jokic. And I know we are worried about Gobert on AD and Gasol. Favors gives us more small ball protection than Rudy can sometimes provide.

But overall, this deal is worth it if we go far into the playoffs multiple times. That's the only way to justify it. I believe we can, but still hate the deal. If he is so committed to Utah, why not take the full amount any team could give? That extra $10 million isn't nothing.

If I'm reading the NBA's stats page right, Rudy was +26 in the series, so I'm not convinced he was actually outplayed.

We were really solid in that series, winning when Don/Joe/Rudy were playing. Our huge blowout win does skew it a bit, but yeah, Rudy wasn't getting whipped or anything and Jokic is a damn good player.

To note, Jokic was -20 for the series.

Hey buddy. My argument has always been the long term. So let's say this is the deal:

21-22 $41
22-23 $41
23-24 $41
24-25 $41
25-26 $41

In 2022, Joe is off the books. We have $53 million committed to Bojan, Clarkson, Royce and Favors. Bojan and Favors are expiring for $30 million. The $10 million you are referring to might be relevant especially to the repeat luxury.

In 2023, Bojan and Favors are off the books with Clarkson and Royce as expirings. The $10 million you are referring to will be relevant because this is when Rudy starts to slide and we need reinforcements.

I'm hopeful that $20+ million of this is incentives. If he earns it, give it to him. If its straight up all guaranteed, its going to be really hard to rationalize giving that much to him in years 3, 4 and 5.

He pal... the cap goes up and those guys coming off the books gives us some breathing room... can still use MLE or taxpayer MLE to fill in the roster or replace them with other guys with longer contracts. Our window is the next three years... keeping Rudy ensure we have another all star talent next to DM. After that if we eat a year on Rudy deal while we are rebuilding it’s not a big deal.

We were really solid in that series, winning when Don/Joe/Rudy were playing. Our huge blowout win does skew it a bit, but yeah, Rudy wasn't getting whipped or anything and Jokic is a damn good player.

To note, Jokic was -20 for the series.
Guyz please don’t distract with facts okay... this is clearly a bad deal and the facts get in the way of that narrative.

I can't even imagine how many 2nd rounders it is going to take to trade Rudy in three years. 2nd rounders in perpetuity?

He pal... the cap goes up and those guys coming off the books gives us some breathing room... can still use MLE or taxpayer MLE to fill in the roster or replace them with other guys with longer contracts. Our window is the next three years... keeping Rudy ensure we have another all star talent next to DM. After that if we eat a year on Rudy deal while we are rebuilding it’s not a big deal.
I think years 1-3 are fair. My issue is with years 4 and 5 when we should still have Don in his prime.

Keeping Rudy should lead us to some good things the next few years. I hope his contract doesn't get in the way of continuing that in the Don prime years.

Go Jazz. Let's get that damn title and worry about the money later. What's done is done. We have our team. Now go win.

My fellow Jazz fans crack me up. For years, we’ve been wringing our hands over the franchise’s ability (or lack thereof) to bring in top level, game changing talent via free agency. Probably the only thing that has caused more anxiety for Jazz fans is the constant fear of hitting on draft picks, only to see them grow into high level NBA players and leave Utah in their rear view mirror. Two great examples are the infamous Hayward saga, and the fans and franchise being so nervous about D-Will leaving us at the alter that we executed a preemptive strike before any of that could happen.

We’ve just had an offseason in which both of our star players said “No thank you” to Free Agency and reaffirmed their commitment to this team and this state. Yet so many are bitching at the cost. Despite the fact that every metric in existence shows that this team is drastically better with Rudy on the court. Those same metrics also show how much better Donovan is with Rudy on the court.

We were never going to get equal value for Rudy in a trade. Like everyone else, I have my moments of frustration with Rudy’s offensive limitations, forgetting that Rudy does a ton of things for this team that don’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

For decades we’ve desperately wanted star players to say “Yes” to us. Now we have that and we want to bristle at the cost. Ryan Smith has started off his ownership of the Utah Jazz by showing he’s not going to be tight with the purse strings when it comes to allowing his team to be competitive. It’s early, but I don’t think our owner is going to sink a large percentage of the salary cap into his two star players only to handcuff the team’s ability to add the pieces necessary to keep this team in the hunt for a title.

To all the Jazz fans complaining about the cost to retain Rudy: Take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that the 2 most important players on this team love us, love the Utah Jazz organization, and would rather be here than anywhere else. Today is a happy day, and a day that we’ve waited for for a very long time.

I think years 1-3 are fair. My issue is with years 4 and 5 when we should still have Don in his prime.

Keeping Rudy should lead us to some good things the next few years. I hope his contract doesn't get in the way of continuing that in the Don prime years.

Go Jazz. Let's get that damn title and worry about the money later. What's done is done. We have our team. Now go win.

That’s better! Look worst case if you need to pivot this preserves the asset. You can do the Blake Griffin or Russell Westbrook trade. Someone will take on the deal to get a bump now and eat the bad years. As long as the guy is healthy we are fine... he’ll Blake was injury prone AF and Detroit still gave up a bundle for him.

I’d love for DM to be a lifer but I think we may only get the next 4-5 years with him.

I can't even imagine how many 2nd rounders it is going to take to trade Rudy in three years. 2nd rounders in perpetuity?
Yeah I mean his case is very similar to Ed, Dante, TB.

I promise you multiple front offices are saying “****... another guy is off the market”. One of them might be our major worry in the next few years if Luka continues to improve.

I literally might do a cartwheel today I’m happy. This deal means we get some good basketball next 3-4 years. Every team has to rebuild sometime. We will hit that part of the cycle at some point... enjoy the good times while they last.

My fellow Jazz fans crack me up. For years, we’ve been wringing our hands over the franchise’s ability (or lack thereof) to bring in top level, game changing talent via free agency. Probably the only thing that has caused more anxiety for Jazz fans is the constant fear of hitting on draft picks, only to see them grow into high level NBA players and leave Utah in their rear view mirror. Two great examples are the infamous Hayward saga, and the fans and franchise being so nervous about D-Will leaving us at the alter that we executed a preemptive strike before any of that could happen.

We’ve just had an offseason in which both of our star players said “No thank you” to Free Agency and reaffirmed their commitment to this team and this state. Yet so many are bitching at the cost. Despite the fact that every metric in existence shows that this team is drastically better with Rudy on the court. Those same metrics also show how much better Donovan is with Rudy on the court.

We were never going to get equal value for Rudy in a trade. Like everyone else, I have my moments of frustration with Rudy’s offensive limitations, forgetting that Rudy does a ton of things for this team that don’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

For decades we’ve desperately wanted star players to say “Yes” to us. Now we have that and we want to bristle at the cost. Ryan Smith has started off his ownership of the Utah Jazz by showing he’s not going to be tight with the purse strings when it comes to allowing his team to be competitive. It’s early, but I don’t think our owner is going to sink a large percentage of the salary cap into his two star players only to handcuff the team’s ability to add the pieces necessary to keep this team in the hunt for a title.

To all the Jazz fans complaining about the cost to retain Rudy: Take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that the 2 most important players on this team love us, love the Utah Jazz organization, and would rather be here than anywhere else. Today is a happy day, and a day that we’ve waited for for a very long time.
YES YES YES

My guess is the deal is guaranteed to be 5/195 because I believe that is the amount that has to be guaranteed to do a five year deal. Guessing there may be 10M in incentives... not a huge deal either way... just my guess.

So relieved we got this done. After doing some thinking I wouldn’t have even been mad at him getting the supermax.

Thank goodness we have HH on this board to help rationalize with people and use logic.

We now have Mitchell and Rudy locked up for the next 5 years. This is our championship window. All it takes is one break and we could find ourself in the Finals.

We might not even need a break. Who knows what the league looks like in 2 years let alone 4-5.

I will continue to reiterate this, if Rudy and Conley both walked after this season we would have had 15M in cap space total. In no way is losing both of them and adding someone for 15M going to make us a better team. At all.

In the grand scheme of things what is 5 more mil a year when we’re going to be in the tax regardless.

I also love Rudy’s subtle jab at Hayward "Dear Utah". I ****ing love Rudy!!! Let’s win a championship!!!

Well Rudy has enough money to buy a French Island somewhere. I hope DL and JZ know what they're doing. The consensus on Realgm ranges from "awful" to "worst contract in the league".

My guess is the deal is guaranteed to be 5/195 because I believe that is the amount that has to be guaranteed to do a five year deal. Guessing there may be 10M in incentives... not a huge deal either way... just my guess.
Nah. It has to start over 30% to be a super max, but could theoretically decline by as muh as 8% each year. As long as the deal starts at over 30% of the cap, it is a super max deal.

We`ll see in the next few days what the details are. Rudy and his agent get this day to tell the world that they got the super max. Soon enough we will know the details of exactly what they got.