What's new

Rudy Gobert 5 years, $205M

I swear y’all crazy. Not sure I can handle the board the next few years... if Rudy doesn’t get 40 and 20 every night and lead us to 3 consecutive titles all the “cap experts” will talk about how the Rudy deal messes up all teh cap spaces and now we can never win a title.

PhyBjjn.jpg

I thought the friction with Donovan just might send Rudy packing. Happy it didn't. Was it overblown? Have he and Don had a sit down?

If it was 30M a year what cap space does that open? Please make sure to know the math cuz I do.

also please understand our new owners are worth well over 21B collectively... Balmer is worth 51B iirc... we are so well funded and will pay the tax and won’t move the franchise.

30 or 40 M really only means Ryan is spending extra... does not materially change what we do.

Interested in hearing more details (options, incentives, etc), but happy to get this done.

The core ~7 are locked in now, thing we could still use a defensive forward/big wing, but maybe one of the young guys can develop, could pick up RHJ, or a trade of some sort around Conley.

Pretty happy with it, similar to the PG extension.

If it was 30M a year what cap space does that open? Please make sure to know the math cuz I do.

also please understand our new owners are worth well over 21B collectively... Balmer is worth 51B iirc... we are so well funded and will pay the tax and won’t move the franchise.

30 or 40 M really only means Ryan is spending extra... does not materially change what we do.

What's the breakdown on their net worth?

Well Rudy's letter should tell you all you need to know about Rudy's commitment
Rudy and Donovan will sell lots of tickets and make lots of money for Jazz

I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I'm glad Rudy is here, I've always liked him and believed he is a true generational talent. But with the cap likely going down over the next few years, this and Donovan's means about all we can do to add talent around them is to get fringe players and hope they perform out of their minds. Royce isn't good enough to be the one 3&D guy to guard those big wings, this was plainly evident during the Denver series. We need that lock down defender on the wing, that big body to throw at the LBJs of the league as well, and we just don't have it. I think we are still 1-2 solid upper-mid-level pieces from contending. If we could change signed wood that would have filled a huge gap. We really do need an OPJ level dude to fill out the roster. Unless we are expecting both Rudy and DM to take a 1.5X superstar jump. And I just don't see that. The window is tight, and with the current team I think we are a solid 2nd round performer, flirting with the conference finals. I don't think there is any way we get to the NBA finals unless Gobert and Mitchell absolutely play out of their minds.

We need to move Conley you get that last piece. Conley was a massive mistake. They need to pivot away from it and get us that big wing. Otherwise we'll be stuck in also-ran territory barring massive superstar jumps or multiple players putting up career years at the same time. It's a window, but it's a very very tight one. Gonna take something miraculous to get us through at this point.