What's new

Rudy Gobert 5 years, $205M

Well Rudy has enough money to buy a French Island somewhere. I hope DL and JZ know what they're doing. The consensus on Realgm ranges from "awful" to "worst contract in the league".
It is the worst deal in the league as of right now. If we win playoff series its gets better.

Gotta win numerous playoff series to rationalize the size and length of the deal.

But I have faith.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app

My fellow Jazz fans crack me up. For years, we’ve been wringing our hands over the franchise’s ability (or lack thereof) to bring in top level, game changing talent via free agency. Probably the only thing that has caused more anxiety for Jazz fans is the constant fear of hitting on draft picks, only to see them grow into high level NBA players and leave Utah in their rear view mirror. Two great examples are the infamous Hayward saga, and the fans and franchise being so nervous about D-Will leaving us at the alter that we executed a preemptive strike before any of that could happen.

We’ve just had an offseason in which both of our star players said “No thank you” to Free Agency and reaffirmed their commitment to this team and this state. Yet so many are bitching at the cost. Despite the fact that every metric in existence shows that this team is drastically better with Rudy on the court. Those same metrics also show how much better Donovan is with Rudy on the court.

We were never going to get equal value for Rudy in a trade. Like everyone else, I have my moments of frustration with Rudy’s offensive limitations, forgetting that Rudy does a ton of things for this team that don’t necessarily show up on the stat sheet.

For decades we’ve desperately wanted star players to say “Yes” to us. Now we have that and we want to bristle at the cost. Ryan Smith has started off his ownership of the Utah Jazz by showing he’s not going to be tight with the purse strings when it comes to allowing his team to be competitive. It’s early, but I don’t think our owner is going to sink a large percentage of the salary cap into his two star players only to handcuff the team’s ability to add the pieces necessary to keep this team in the hunt for a title.

To all the Jazz fans complaining about the cost to retain Rudy: Take a deep breath and enjoy the fact that the 2 most important players on this team love us, love the Utah Jazz organization, and would rather be here than anywhere else. Today is a happy day, and a day that we’ve waited for for a very long time.

I can remember the days when The Jazz couldn't re-sign flipping Shandon Anderson even with the promise of more money and a guarantee that he'd start.

The reality is you have to pay to retain talent - the idea that you can discard an all-star and just press the reset button is not a serious notion - especially for a small market franchise.

It is the worst deal in the league as of right now. If we win playoff series its gets better.

Gotta win numerous playoff series to rationalize the size and length of the deal.

But I have faith.

You keep doubling down don’t you. How is it worse than Westbrook’s, Paul’s, Wall’s or George’s contracts? He’s better than all 4 by a long shot.

I can remember the days when The Jazz couldn't re-sign flipping Shandon Anderson even with the promise of more money and a guarantee that he'd start.

The reality is you have to pay to retain talent - the idea that you can discard an all-star and just press the reset button is not a serious notion - especially for a small market franchise.
EXCELLENT example of just how far this franchise has come.

You keep doubling down don’t you. How is it worse than Westbrook’s, Paul’s, Wall’s or George’s contracts? He’s better than all 4 by a long shot.
This is the 3rd largest deal of all time. Its the largest deal ever for a center. Rudy hasn't been able to carry us to the 2nd round. Rudy is not a very marketable player.

As of today, 12/20/20, its a bad deal. Its a deal about the next few years not the last few.

The measuring stick is winning. I believe Rudy will be worth the first 3 years of this deal. We will see in 4 years.

I have faith in this team. Keeping Rudy was for the best. Now we have to go win something.

I think a sticking point was probably being paid more than Donovan. In any case, I think that’s good for his recognition and keep going out and doing what he does even if he’s not touching the ball as much with the threes flying. I will declare that our window is currently now, and if we pickup RHJ, I’m going to say we’ve completed a roster that we can go farther this year than we ever have.
Curious: would MKG (also released yesterday) rather than RHJ satisfy you?

People are going to knock the deal but the fact of the matter is that Rudy is integral to Utah becoming a legit title contender and had Utah decided to go in another direction, the future becomes a lot more murky.
It’ll be “the worst contract in the NBA” until next offseason when somebody else gets a ton of $$ thrown in their direction and 18-24 months from now it probably won’t even be a topic of conversation. Especially if Ryan Smith continues to prove that as long as this team remains in contention, they’ll find a way to keep adding pieces.

As I see it now, this is our team for the next 2 years. We have a punchers chance at a championship (about 5%). After two years, things get dicey. Ingles probably retires and we have no way to get a replacement.

After seeing this deal, why not go ahead and trade Conley for Blake Griffin? I mean, f it, why not? Isn't he the best possible player we can get for Conley right now?

Go All In

As I see it now, this is our team for the next 2 years. We have a punchers chance at a championship (about 5%). After two years, things get dicey. Ingles probably retires and we have no way to get a replacement.

I’m not sure that will be a bad thing.

Look, even if you are angry about the contract and wanted to flip Rudy for more lootboxes, you just need to chill and realize that Rudy on a 5 year deal at that salary is worth more as an asset than an unsigned Rudy. Jazz could get closer to actual value if they wanted to trade him under contract than they could have if they traded him this year. The important thing to see is if his contract has a trade kicker.

That being said, I hope to Hell we don't trade Rudy, ever.

That's the ancillary benefit of Gobert and Mitchell. Jazz not only retained two all-stars, they retained two stars that are actually worth rooting for.

When you set aside Steph and Dame - look at what you have representing this league as the most well compensated talent:

Westbrook - malcontent
Harden - malcontent
Leonard - held a small market team hostage
AD - held a small market team hostage
Kyrie - aloof weirdo
Durant - hypersensitive billionaire
LeBron - lives in his own universe
Butler - malcontent
Paul - teammate from hell
Wall - hot garbage

His replacement is likely already on the roster, or someone on the roster could be flipped for one.