What's new

Game Thread (Scrimmage) Jazz @ Nets

Added to Calendar: 07-27-20

I’m fine with him... like I kinda get why they signed him... NWG can go... I’d be cool letting Tucker go too. Morgan should be our backup 5 but Bradley has improved.

But Jarrell Brantley needs to ****ing play. It makes no god damn sense that we don’t get to see him with the actual rotation players and we are throwing Bradley out there as a 4. It kills me that we haven’t tried it. He looks so good.
I want to see what Brantley looks like with the regular rotation, too. But maybe this is what Quin is thinking:

The only reason to experiment with Bradley is to have something in the bag to throw against extra big lineups (such as the Blazers or Lakers or Nuggets or Grizzlies and maybe even the Mavs might throw out at times). In those situations, maybe he thinks Brantley is too short. Otherwise, Quin might figure, might as well just roll with Mudiay or Niang.

Of course you might say (and you'd probably be right) that there are teams that Brantley could come in handy for other than just "extra tall" teams -- such as the Pelicans, or any team that is making the Jazz pay on the glass for their 4-guard lineups.

Donovan and Rudy have looked really good so far. Jazz need to figure out how not to get smoked when they sit; the bench has been terrible through 4 games. Emmanuel Mudiay has looked steady, Clarkson is still gunning, but the Jazz badly need an upgrade in the front court.

Donovan is 4th on the team in scoring (39 pts), behind Conley (47 pts), Rudy (46 points) and Clarkson (43 points). He's also second in assists (12) behind Joe Ingles (13). The Donovan to Rudy connection has never looked better.

Top 4 scorers' stats:

Conley
Totals: 73:20 18-34 FG 5-13 3P 6-7 FT 47 pts 8 reb 3 ast 3 stl 1 blk 6 TO +8
Per 36: .634 TS .529 FG .385 3P .857 FT 23.1 pts 3.9 reb 1.5 ast 1.5 stl 0.5 blk 2.9 TO +3.9

Rudy
Totals: 73:51 16-20 FG 0-0 3P 14-18 FT 46 pts 21 reb 2 ast 2 stl 3 blk 4 TO +20
Per 36: .824 TS .800 FG .000 3P .778 FT 22.4 pts 10.2 reb 1.0 ast 1.0 stl 1.5 blk 1.9 TO +9.7

Clarkson
Totals: 73:06 13-34 FG 10-24 3P 7-9 FT 43 pts 14 reb 2 ast 3 stl 0 blk 3 TO -15
Per 36: .566 TS .382 FG .417 3P .778 FT 21.2 pts 6.9 reb 1.0 ast 1.5 stl 0 blk 1.5 TO -7.4

Donovan
Totals: 75:19 13-26 FG 8-12 3P 5-5 FT 39 pts 7 reb 12 ast 2 stl 1 blk 7 TO +21
Per 36: .691 TS .500 FG .667 3P 1.000 FT 18.6 pts 3.3 reb 5.7 ast 1.0 stl 0.5 blk 3.3 TO +10.0

Brantley looks pretty bad to me. The guy looks like he cant do much in the half-court other than dribble into post-ups.

I could only catch the second half and watched highlights of earlier games. The **** Tucker and Brantley try isn't going to cut it in serious rotation minutes. They both hog the ball and it's not like this unit did not play together. It's not 2 min garbage time.

I liked Oni better than both even though his shots didn't go in. He had quick feet on defense, moved the ball better, found open corners and when he passed he relocated. He would fit better in a rotation than Tucker or Brantley.

I could only catch the second half and watched highlights of earlier games. The **** Tucker and Brantley try isn't going to cut it in serious rotation minutes. They both hog the ball and it's not like this unit did not play together. It's not 2 min garbage time.

I liked Oni better than both even though his shots didn't go in. He had quick feet on defense, moved the ball better, found open corners and when he passed he relocated. He would fit better in a rotation than Tucker or Brantley.
Not disagreeing with you on Oni. He looks like he can do the three and D role well enough to be a rotation piece. With Brantley I thought he was good. NWG and Oni weren’t creating in that unit and Tucker/ Brantley had to do something. Brantley could be valuable on defense and was okay on offense imo.

Not disagreeing with you on Oni. He looks like he can do the three and D role well enough to be a rotation piece. With Brantley I thought he was good. NWG and Oni weren’t creating in that unit and Tucker/ Brantley had to do something. Brantley could be valuable on defense and was okay on offense imo.
At least NWG knew how to use a pick. Him and Oni were the best in that group. Tucker tried a few wtf shots and did nothing else. Brantley only feels comfortable when backing down someone. It's hard to imagine them with any of the starters.

And I think idea of Brantley seems to get in front of actual Brantley. He is explosive and looks like he is hustling but that doesn't amount to much.

Tucker plays really dumb. I have impression he is used to relying on his athleticism which is enough against g league competition but without working on his skills and bb IQ it won't be enough against NBA players. Absolutely agree on Oni. I think Brantley did well on defense in those two games.

At least NWG knew how to use a pick. Him and Oni were the best in that group. Tucker tried a few wtf shots and did nothing else. Brantley only feels comfortable when backing down someone. It's hard to imagine them with any of the starters.

And I think idea of Brantley seems to get in front of actual Brantley. He is explosive and looks like he is hustling but that doesn't amount to much.
He handled the ball a ton out front and made two solid defensive plays. If left open he can hit enough threes... if they close hard he can handle and drive. Even if he is mostly comfortable dribbling into a post up that has some value. He moved Justin Anderson ( a very thick wing) like he wasn’t there and drew a foul.

Other than cool dunks and big muscles Tucker really hasn’t impressed me at all.

Tucker is like Donovan Mitchell minus the talent. You can tell he dominated the gleague based on his athletic ability. I like his potential as a 3 and D guard, but he has to learn to score on limited opportunity, something that doesn't seem to be in his wheelhouse currently.

Brantley looks pretty bad to me. The guy looks like he cant do much in the half-court other than dribble into post-ups.

I think he's trying to learn his role and be a ball mover. I don't think his abilities are that limited, but he was playing on the ball and he doesn't know how to make reads and decisions yet. On one play, he wanted to feed Juwan Morgan in the post, but he wasn't able to get the angle, so he forced up a last-second fade-away that missed badly.

Tucker is like Donovan Mitchell minus the talent. You can tell he dominated the gleague based on his athletic ability. I like his potential as a 3 and D guard, but he has to learn to score on limited opportunity, something that doesn't seem to be in his wheelhouse currently.
I worry with guys like that... if they struggle on the mental side of the game it can be hard to fix. They can definitely improve there but you’d like to see a higher baseline to start from.

That said I understand why they invested in him... we are panning for gold and there are some things to like. I just don’t know if he can be a successful role player like Oni can... it’s an easier target to hit.

I worry with guys like that... if they struggle on the mental side of the game it can be hard to fix. They can definitely improve there but you’d like to see a higher baseline to start from.

That said I understand why they invested in him... we are panning for gold and there are some things to like. I just don’t know if he can be a successful role player like Oni can... it’s an easier target to hit.
I wouldnt say it's a mental struggle, it's just a huge role adjustment.

I think Brantley is the type of big athletic body we need on defense. He moves well enough to have an impact there. If he is just an average three point shooter the post up and ball handling stuff will make him a solid offensive player too. In those lineups where he needs to create I think he will struggle... as a tertiary guy I think it’s helpful. He’s just really intriguing.

I think if Brantley had a limited role--where he sits on the perimeter, moves the ball and takes open looks (like PJ Tucker)--he could fit in. He's not so great with the ball in his hands that he's going to take plays away from other guys on the floor.

He'd need to work his way into the rotation starting as a 5th option, and that's something he hasn't been accustomed to. When he plays with the Stars he has a lot of freedom and normally gets around 15 shot attempts. He needs to think in terms of coming off the bench and getting 7 points and 4 rebounds in 10 minutes.

I think Brantley is the type of big athletic body we need on defense. He moves well enough to have an impact there. If he is just an average three point shooter the post up and ball handling stuff will make him a solid offensive player too. In those lineups where he needs to create I think he will struggle... as a tertiary guy I think it’s helpful. He’s just really intriguing.

I think he can hit 35% or 36% of his 3s. He raised his season average with the Stars from 30% to 33% over the last 10 games. So he had to shoot 36% or 37%, at a minimum, to do that.

Sounds like Ben McLemore.

He handled the ball a ton out front and made two solid defensive plays. If left open he can hit enough threes... if they close hard he can handle and drive. Even if he is mostly comfortable dribbling into a post up that has some value. He moved Justin Anderson ( a very thick wing) like he wasn’t there and drew a foul.

Other than cool dunks and big muscles Tucker really hasn’t impressed me at all.

I really liked Brantley's poke-away steal while he was back-pedaling on defense. That's really hard to do. That was a big play.