What's new

Should Mitt release his tax returns?

Contradicting...

Anyway, apparently you guys didn't read what was posted. Many people CAN'T get the required id, even though they are legal Americans.

No they are not. Stop acting like a politician. You know my stance well enough. If you do not then it is becasue you are willingly not understanding. You are a smart guy so don't play that word game crap.

Thanks Salty. I feel badly for that woman and anyone else that had to go through anything remotely close to this. That's why I thought the requirement should begin in '16. I do not, however, see anything thus far that is even close to an inability to get an ID. She could probably fix the situation in a matter of a couple of weeks. I don't think it's harsh to make an ID a prerequisite for voting .. not that I lack the ability to see why some would.

Here are a few...

Good God Salty.

There is a big difference between having the ability to get an ID and choosing not to and having the inabilbity to get one for some reason.

The sources you listed are clearly them not having the abilbity to get one. We haveclearly stated, time and time again I might add, that there needs to be exceptions made to provide them with ID. It has also been mentioned frequently that the ID laws going into effect so fast is absurd and that this should be a project worked on for the next election so that the cases you listed can be found and dealt with before then.

Willful misunderstanding.

Thanks Salty. I feel badly for that woman and anyone else that had to go through anything remotely close to this. That's why I thought the requirement should begin in '16. I do not, however, see anything thus far that is even close to an inability to get an ID. She could probably fix the situation in a matter of a couple of weeks. I don't think it's harsh to make an ID a prerequisite for voting .. not that I lack the ability to see why some would.

Are you actually reading the quote? Lol, she CAN'T get an id because she has no birth certificate.

Good God Salty.

There is a big difference between having the ability to get an ID and choosing not to and having the inabilbity to get one for some reason.

The sources you listed are clearly them not having the abilbity to get one. We haveclearly stated, time and time again I might add, that there needs to be exceptions made to provide them with ID. It has also been mentioned frequently that the ID laws going into effect so fast is absurd and that this should be a project worked on for the next election so that the cases you listed can be found and dealt with before then.

Willful misunderstanding.

I have no idea what your position is. You're all over the place on this one.

You tell me you're suggesting some changes to this law (which I haven't seen you specify yet), and then like 2 posts later you say you agree with pkm (who has been saying the only change needed is more time before it takes effect).

Are you actually reading the quote? Lol, she CAN'T get an id because she has no birth certificate.

While you're lol'ing .. show me where it says in the article that she can't get an ID because she has no birth certificate. You can call me little boy blue because I'll be holding my breath awaiting your evidence.

Yes. I read it. Do you realize one CAN get a birth certificate even if they've never had one? Well, they can .. and it's not hard.

Okay, if it's so easy please explain it to me. How would a 90+ year old lady, who lives in the middle of the county, get a birth certificate of she never had one? And keep in mind the nearest government office is probably hours away, and she can't stand (in line) for long periods of time.

It's not hard to get a copy of your existing birth certificate, but getting a new original created is another matter.

pkm (who has been saying the only change needed is more time before it takes effect).

For the record, I have also said more time is needed to educate those handling the polls as to proper procedure .. and to put together a FAQ sheet for those that need ID's as to how to go about getting them.

Okay, if it's so easy please explain it to me. How would a 90+ year old lady, who lives in the middle of the county, get a birth certificate of she never had one? And keep in mind the nearest government office is probably hours away, and she can't stand (in line) for long periods of time.

It's not hard to get a copy of your existing birth certificate, but getting a new original created is another matter.

Yes, you can send into the county clerk's office a signed and notarized statement of (forget what it's called) and they will issue you a state-issued birth certificate equivalent (again, I forget what the document is called).

That is not entirely true. You can order one at any time. It may not be the exact original but it a certified copy that can only be done by the state you were born in. All agencies, at all levels, that require a birth certificate accept that certified copy.

I can go across the street and when I come back to post I could have one in my hand.

Now granted it may be harder for that 90 year old woman to get one but we should put off enacting these laws for a few years (see 2016) and weed those cases out. Make it very public and encourage those with problems to call and find out what they need to do. Send employees to areas when needed, waive fees...

Medical records, school records, old family bibles...can all be helpful in obtaining a B.C. for that rare individual that has never had one.

Yes, you can send into the county clerk's office a signed and notarized statement of (forget what it's called) and they will issue you a state-issued birth certificate equivalent (again, I forget what the document is called).

It's not that simple. If it were that simple, every illegal immigrant would do it.

That is not entirely true. You can order one at any time. It may not be the exact original but it a certified copy that can only be done by the state you were born in. All agencies, at all levels, that require a birth certificate accept that certified copy.

I can go across the street and when I come back to post I could have one in my hand.

Now granted it may be harder for that 90 year old woman to get one but we should put off enacting these laws for a few years (see 2016) and weed those cases out. Make it very public and encourage those with problems to call and find out what they need to do. Send employees to areas when needed, waive fees...

Medical records, school records, old family bibles...can all be helpful in obtaining a B.C. for that rare individual that has never had one.

Yes, getting a copy is not too hard (provided you have had one before).

If you've never had one, good luck. Especially if you're 90 years old and live in the middle of the country, and can't wait in line for hours.

Yes, getting a copy is not too hard (provided you have had one before).

If you've never had one, good luck. Especially if you're 90 years old and live in the middle of the country, and can't wait in line for hours.

Keep ignoring the allowances I have called for to be used in those cases. You want to argue with based on nothing I am saying. Good luck.

Oh, so you DON'T fully agree with pkm then. Got it.

LOL, nice spin. Keep at it my friend.

Hey I lost my ID and it is an inconvenience for me to get all the crap I need for an ID so everyone else should cater to my absolute laziness.