What's new

So safe to say Dante's a bust?

I'm sure glad we had the year to the tank to get him with JLIII leading the charge.

Hey homey! Me too. JLIII was clearly towards the end of his career and it was an excellent idea to pick up another tank commander. Every team needs at least tank commander on the roster just in case something crazy happens (like a ton of injuries or trades of the best players on the team) and the team needs to shift to tank mode in a short amount of time. It was a ballsy tactic to grab a tank commander with the 5th pick overall imo, but we've already seen how effective Exum can be in making a team significantly worse when he's on the court. An elite tank commander like that may not have been on the board for their next pick. Unfortunately for Exum, the Jazz are a pretty good team now with little incentive to tank, but Exum is still a young guy and the odds are good that the Jazz will have a tanking season or two before his career is done. Exum's shown more than enough for fans to believe that he'll be ready when that time comes.

It's tough to consider a player a bust when he's not given a chance.

I don't think he's shown regression - sure, his three point % is down a few % points but it's probably tough to hit threes in games when there's not consistent playing time.

I've noticed this season when he plays, Exum tends to start the game strong and then he disappears for stretches. I think he'll continue to improve though.

His jump shot looks just like Jason Kids. Exum will get a reliable three point shot. He works hard and just needs reps to get it reliable.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using JazzFanz mobile app
Does he work hard? Do you personally see him before or after practice shooting? Every year we heard AK had spent tons of time working on his shot, yet he never improved.

Dante had a whole year off to JUST practice, yet he came into the NBA out of shape and with a horrible shot - despite having a former pro as a father.

He had his rookie season and some time before the injury. After several months post-injury, he would have been able to shoot.

There are many good young players in the league who show far more promise than Dante. DL needs to draft for shooting, not ballerina-like balance. He's wasted two lottery picks on guys who couldn't shoot in college or amateur ball. And neither have done much to improve in the NBA.

It's funny how exasperated some people get at the notion that Exum might just not live up to the hype.

Believe what you want, but don't call people idiots for disagreeing. He has legitimate excuses for his lack of development, but even then he still has a ridiculous amount of work to put in just to become a serviceable NBA player, let alone to live up to his pre-draft hype.

I wonder whether his knee is giving him more bother than reported, otherwise why wouldn't they send him to play 35 mins a night for a few weeks with the stars ? Either way clearly they've put him back on the shelf as a long term project. The further this year goes on the more you realise what a bummer the timing of the ACL was, last year i think they would have thrown everything they could've into getting him up to speed and i reckon he might have been ok by now.

He needs time to mature physically and mentally, you can decide in 2-3 years if he's a bust. He's still clearly got some attributes that given development will allow him to be a good rotation player at a minimum.

btw for those who talk about him having come from "Australian high school basketball" .. there's almost no such beast, the level of competition and frequency of is so low it's almost to be discounted. He's had playing against kids way inferior to him to the NBA with a few small pit stops on the way with next to no real organized competitive basketball, given a lot by his own choice. The most raw of long term projects, then throw the ACL in ... it's so seriously moronic to even consider if he's a bust at this stage.

Having said that it's still ridiculous when he plays well then has to watch Neto and Mack stink it up the next game, but whatever at this stage. If he's gonna be good these times are going to make him stronger in the long run.

Reactions: RJF
It's funny how exasperated some people get at the notion that Exum might just not live up to the hype.

Believe what you want, but don't call people idiots for disagreeing. He has legitimate excuses for his lack of development, but even then he still has a ridiculous amount of work to put in just to become a serviceable NBA player, let alone to live up to his pre-draft hype.

Well, in this case we're talking about a player who was always going to be a several year project, 3 months into coming back from a severe injury.

So yeah, anyone calling him a bust at this point is an idiot.

Has Dante made more than 5 jump shots off the dribble in his NBA career? I honestly think the answer might be no.

I dont expect him to get any better this year. This off-season is probably the biggest off-season of his career.

If the guy can lift weights and practice jump shots 18-hours a day, every day, he might stay in the league as 13-15 spot on the roster. If he is a nice locker room guy he might one day be a poor mans Ronnie price.

A number of people on this board spoke as if Hayward was a bust for a number of years. And KOC was dumb for drafting him. I don't think anyone is saying that today. Dante still has plenty of time for us to see who he is. Much of this game is mental and about confidence. Give him time. Everyone's path to realizing who they are is different.