What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Speculation: Did the Jazz leak the rumor...

Jazzman12

Oneye’s delusional, Jazz fans that expect Donovan to play for 1 team his entire career are delusional, and as always, all the sane people reside in the middle ground.

The Hayward saga taught me A LOT about getting butthurt over a non-superstar jilting your team. Even if Hayward hadn’t suffered the gruesome ankle injury after leaving Utah high and dry for Boston, once us fans were able to view him through non Jazz-colored glasses, we would have seen the truth: Hayward is simply a nice NBA player who will probably never have a major effect in winning an NBA team any championships. We were NEVER winning a title with Hayward making $30+ mil in Utah. With the benefit of hindsight, there was a Zero% chance of that happening had he stayed.

While Donovan is a considerably better player IMO, we still haven’t seen this Jazz team become a legit threat to win an NBA title while hitching our wagons to Donovan and Rudy.

I find that looking at it this way really helps with my “please don’t leave the Jazz” anxiety:
If the front office ever figures out the right roster to put around Don and Rudy and the Jazz make a finals or 2, maybe even winning one, Donovan isn’t gonna want to leave. On the flip side, if this team never grows into a legit title contender with the Don/Rudy foundation, why should we stress Don wanting to leave? When it comes to that point, it didn’t work out. I’m not really interested in seeing another 2 franchise cornerstone’s spend 15+ years in Utah without winning a ring. I’ve already seen that movie. Nothing wrong with maxing our value on DM and trying to make another run at it.

Release the Kraken

If it gets the Jazz Ben Simmons AND Tobias Harris, it was a genius move. I will petition for a golden statue of Ainge if that happens.
First time I’ve seen anyone besides myself dare to suggest we join the Simmons sweepstakes. With our perimeter D problems and general match up problems it just makes sense. With Simmons in the backcourt, Royce no longer gets charged with covering the behemoths like Bron and Sabonis etc.

Personally I’d rather trade Conley and maybe Ingles for Simmons and give Mitchell one last chance to contend for a title and maybe change his mind.

Jazzman12

First time I’ve seen anyone besides myself dare to suggest we join the Simmons sweepstakes. With our perimeter D problems and general match up problems it just makes sense. With Simmons in the backcourt, Royce no longer gets charged with covering the behemoths like Bron and Sabonis etc.
I feel dirty saying this because Ben Simmons is one of the least likeable guys to probably ever play in the NBA, but you do have to wonder how far a Jazz team could go if you had Simmons patrolling the perimeter while Gobert handled his business down low. The Jazz would have to have 3 other guys on the court who can knockdown the 3 but if you’re talking about a trade where the primary pieces are DM and Simmons, the Jazz currently have the shooters to withstand the Simmon’s effect.

The only reason I’d give the idea any merit at all is that I don’t think Philly could imagine getting somebody like Donovan back in a Simmon’s deal in their wildest dreams at this point and the Jazz could probably leverage that into including one of Philly’s promising young players or some draft capital. If Philly doesn’t wanna consider that, Ainge just hangs up the phone.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
I’d be all for Simmons if it meant retaining Donovan and Gobert. We make a big fuss about lack of spacing but pretend Simmons is Favors. We also went from Gobert / Favors / Rubio to just Gobert. Hell, surround Simmons and Gobert with Donovan, Bojan and Matty Ice.

Ujfanatic

I think the idea of Simmons is super intriguing. I think the reality of Simon is something else entirely. Since college the word on him has been he doesn’t seem too really enjoy basketball. I think that is a major problem. Plus, if our current problem is choking in the playoffs turning to Simmons to solve that is a peculiar move.

infection

Staff member
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
Simmons is an ******* but he would immediately improve (drastically) two fatal flaws:

1. Perimeter defense.
2. Rebounding (closing defensive possessions).

The third one is mental collapse. He may not be that great for that. But those three things are the equivalents of the Death Star flaws that too many fanboys see as “it’s such a small area lolololol I think some womprat-shooting farm boy will blow it up lololololol.”

str8line

Contributor
2019 Award Winner
Offer Conley and O Neale for Simmons
Moneywise that works
Keep Ingles to babysit Simmons
Simmons starting PG
Hughes or House starts for Royce

Pringles as a Simmons babysitter is brilliant except Simmons makes Damien The Omen seem like a nice kid.

LoPo

Offer Conley and O Neale for Simmons
Moneywise that works
Keep Ingles to babysit Simmons
Simmons starting PG
Hughes or House starts for Royce
Philly would clearly need more. I would go with Conley, Clarkson and a top 5 protected first for Simmons.

Philly is a legit contender with this deal. They are having a good season without Simmons, and adding those two gives them fantastic postseason depth.

We would go with:
Don
Simmons
Joe
Bojan
Rudy

Royce off the bench kind of early. Play Simmons whenever Rudy sits.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Bogey and Ingles will never get a shot up as their defenders would be glued to them. And Don will be forever double teamed leaving Simmons open at the 3pt line. When it matters in clutch time, thats what will happen.

Just doesnt work with Gobert

Release the Kraken

I think the idea of Simmons is super intriguing. I think the reality of Simon is something else entirely. Since college the word on him has been he doesn’t seem too really enjoy basketball. I think that is a major problem. Plus, if our current problem is choking in the playoffs turning to Simmons to solve that is a peculiar move.
But if we’re lock down, with the highest point differential in the playoffs it’s less of a factor. Also. if need be we have shooters to sub out for him down the stretch. Truthfully Simmons percentages are not that awful and regarding the yips, Markell Fultz’ problem was much worse and corrected with a trade and a new perspective.

Last edited: