What's new

Speculation: Did the Jazz leak the rumor...

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
...that Donovan is itching to play in a larger market? I have seen this a TON recently, and it is spreading through the interwebs. I almost never click on the articles, the headline is enough to tell me what it is about, so I doubt it is targeted other than I do read articles about DM. Anyone else seeing this all over the place?

If they are planning on a trade is this a way to imply he "asked" for a trade? What if that is the trade deadline move we are anticipating? What could we possibly get for Mitchell?

Let’s say the Jazz want to trade Mitchell. Do you think they gauge interest through private channels, or announce to everyone in the world that the guy they want to trade is going to leave anyways.

Take a second to think about things lmao.

This has been a rumor for a while. I doubt it's the Jazz. I doubt it's "real". It's just speculation.
It started with Windy… it’s honestly just him saying ****… it’s very likely right… would you rather play in Utah or LA or NY or Miami? I grew up there and left for NorCal. It’s like me speculating that Windy likes donuts… it’s likely true but based loosely on facts.

He won’t be here forever… if Ryan is acting accordingly he’s dumb AF. You try to extend him in two years or whatever… and if he won’t extend you move him for maximum value. Once we get past 2024 we own our picks and it’s easier to rebuild. Rudy and Don are not Stockton and Malone. They will play for another team someday.

...that Donovan is itching to play in a larger market? I have seen this a TON recently, and it is spreading through the interwebs. I almost never click on the articles, the headline is enough to tell me what it is about, so I doubt it is targeted other than I do read articles about DM. Anyone else seeing this all over the place?

If they are planning on a trade is this a way to imply he "asked" for a trade? What if that is the trade deadline move we are anticipating? What could we possibly get for Mitchell?
Again, I have my very strong opinions on the subject, but the 20 articles you’re seeing are from that same comment MacMahon made on Windhorst podcast. All the little NBA tabloid sites just write their own article off that same 20 second clip of a comment. I wish the Jazz would, but no the Jazz are not trying to trade Donovan. They’re trying desperately to keep him. Do you really think a year ago they fired their head medical trainer, hired multiple coaches that are friends with him, brought in DWade, etc. just to then trade the guy they did all that for? They kiss the dudes *** at every turn.

It started with Windy… it’s honestly just him saying ****… it’s very likely right… would you rather play in Utah or LA or NY or Miami? I grew up there and left for NorCal. It’s like me speculating that Windy likes donuts… it’s likely true but based loosely on facts.

He won’t be here forever… if Ryan is acting accordingly he’s dumb AF. You try to extend him in two years or whatever… and if he won’t extend you move him for maximum value. Once we get past 2024 we own our picks and it’s easier to rebuild. Rudy and Don are not Stockton and Malone. They will play for another team someday.
Rudy is, but correct Donovan is not.

Every small market team goes through these speculations. The circumstances don't matter, it's just clickbait for big market casuals. They read stuff like Westbrook and a pick for Trae Young and think that's feasible.

People have been saying this about Damian Lillard for years. Now that they're saying it about Donovan, it just means he's reaching that level of stardom. Give it 10 minutes and ESPN will be saying the same thing about Ja Morant.

I mean, sure, why wouldn't Donovan want to be in NY or LA?

Oneye may be delusional, but I also think you’re a little delusional if you don’t think Mitchell will want to move on at some point. There’s no point in dissecting the rumors. You don’t need a rumor to figure this stuff out. Very few players stay with one franchise, especially nowadays. Mitchell is a big city kid who loves the lights. Nothing wrong with that at all. But gotta be realistic about this whole thing.

Oneye may be delusional, but I also think you’re a little delusional if you don’t think Mitchell will want to move on at some point. There’s no point in dissecting the rumors. You don’t need a rumor to figure this stuff out. Very few players stay with one franchise, especially nowadays. Mitchell is a big city kid who loves the lights. Nothing wrong with that at all. But gotta be realistic about this whole thing.
The only thing that will keep Mitchell here is winning championships. That's the way the NBA has always been outside for a few rare exceptions.

Oneye’s delusional, Jazz fans that expect Donovan to play for 1 team his entire career are delusional, and as always, all the sane people reside in the middle ground.

The Hayward saga taught me A LOT about getting butthurt over a non-superstar jilting your team. Even if Hayward hadn’t suffered the gruesome ankle injury after leaving Utah high and dry for Boston, once us fans were able to view him through non Jazz-colored glasses, we would have seen the truth: Hayward is simply a nice NBA player who will probably never have a major effect in winning an NBA team any championships. We were NEVER winning a title with Hayward making $30+ mil in Utah. With the benefit of hindsight, there was a Zero% chance of that happening had he stayed.

While Donovan is a considerably better player IMO, we still haven’t seen this Jazz team become a legit threat to win an NBA title while hitching our wagons to Donovan and Rudy.

I find that looking at it this way really helps with my “please don’t leave the Jazz” anxiety:
If the front office ever figures out the right roster to put around Don and Rudy and the Jazz make a finals or 2, maybe even winning one, Donovan isn’t gonna want to leave. On the flip side, if this team never grows into a legit title contender with the Don/Rudy foundation, why should we stress Don wanting to leave? When it comes to that point, it didn’t work out. I’m not really interested in seeing another 2 franchise cornerstone’s spend 15+ years in Utah without winning a ring. I’ve already seen that movie. Nothing wrong with maxing our value on DM and trying to make another run at it.

If it gets the Jazz Ben Simmons AND Tobias Harris, it was a genius move. I will petition for a golden statue of Ainge if that happens.
First time I’ve seen anyone besides myself dare to suggest we join the Simmons sweepstakes. With our perimeter D problems and general match up problems it just makes sense. With Simmons in the backcourt, Royce no longer gets charged with covering the behemoths like Bron and Sabonis etc.

Personally I’d rather trade Conley and maybe Ingles for Simmons and give Mitchell one last chance to contend for a title and maybe change his mind.

First time I’ve seen anyone besides myself dare to suggest we join the Simmons sweepstakes. With our perimeter D problems and general match up problems it just makes sense. With Simmons in the backcourt, Royce no longer gets charged with covering the behemoths like Bron and Sabonis etc.
I feel dirty saying this because Ben Simmons is one of the least likeable guys to probably ever play in the NBA, but you do have to wonder how far a Jazz team could go if you had Simmons patrolling the perimeter while Gobert handled his business down low. The Jazz would have to have 3 other guys on the court who can knockdown the 3 but if you’re talking about a trade where the primary pieces are DM and Simmons, the Jazz currently have the shooters to withstand the Simmon’s effect.

The only reason I’d give the idea any merit at all is that I don’t think Philly could imagine getting somebody like Donovan back in a Simmon’s deal in their wildest dreams at this point and the Jazz could probably leverage that into including one of Philly’s promising young players or some draft capital. If Philly doesn’t wanna consider that, Ainge just hangs up the phone.

I’d be all for Simmons if it meant retaining Donovan and Gobert. We make a big fuss about lack of spacing but pretend Simmons is Favors. We also went from Gobert / Favors / Rubio to just Gobert. Hell, surround Simmons and Gobert with Donovan, Bojan and Matty Ice.

I think the idea of Simmons is super intriguing. I think the reality of Simon is something else entirely. Since college the word on him has been he doesn’t seem too really enjoy basketball. I think that is a major problem. Plus, if our current problem is choking in the playoffs turning to Simmons to solve that is a peculiar move.

Simmons is an ******* but he would immediately improve (drastically) two fatal flaws:

1. Perimeter defense.
2. Rebounding (closing defensive possessions).

The third one is mental collapse. He may not be that great for that. But those three things are the equivalents of the Death Star flaws that too many fanboys see as “it’s such a small area lolololol I think some womprat-shooting farm boy will blow it up lololololol.”

Offer Conley and O Neale for Simmons
Moneywise that works
Keep Ingles to babysit Simmons
Simmons starting PG
Hughes or House starts for Royce

Pringles as a Simmons babysitter is brilliant except Simmons makes Damien The Omen seem like a nice kid.