What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

I am really enjoying the fact that you don't use a wallet in China. You pay for everything with your cell phone. You also don't need an ID for much. No bars check IDs that's for sure.

But I have a basics wallet. It's great. Money clips are too bulky. The clip sticks out too much for me.

I tip just about everyone who does smaller jobs on my house and delivery people.
For the record I LOVE the tip system.

I get treated really well at any place I go to regularly... because of the tip system.

I'm a pretty forgettable person. No reason to care about me at all. But at places I go to regularly I get treated like a ****ing celebrity. Worth every penny.

I get treated really well at any place I go to regularly... because of the tip system.

I'm a pretty forgettable person. No reason to care about me at all. But at places I go to regularly I get treated like a ****ing celebrity. Worth every penny.
Sometimes I like it. I feel the same at bars. I tip well and get better service overtime and extra perks.

But without a tipping system employees wouldn't be trying to rush you in and out. The more customers you see the more money you make.

Plus every business I've been in in the USA that has got rid of the tipping system and pays their employees a decent wage has fantastic service for everyone. Breweries like Odell and new Belgium have got rid of it. They pay their employees well and give them ownership of the business over time. Those places have fantastic service. The employees take time to talk to you about their products that they love and answer questions. They are not worried about rushing you or anything else.

There are plus and minuses both ways.

Plus without tipping it's easier to pay and not worry math or having to wait for the check to come, then process it, then fill it out. You just pay and go.

Tons of places here just have a upc code on the table. You scan it, the menu pulls up, you pick whatever, you pay, and the food comes. Want something else, click and go. It's so easy. Need help with something different? Yell at any employee really loud across the room. Okay, that part kind of sucks but is funny to watch.

I don't mind it when it isn't viewed as obligatory. I think tipping should be a nice thing you do to thank someone for their excellent service, not a guilt-driven requirement to subsidize sub-standard pay. Nor should it be foisted on everyone as part of the normal pay process, especially in places like an ice cream shop.

I like the way you approach it. I do too, for the most part. I just think we need to pass a law that everyone needs to be paid at the minimum wage (at the very least) regardless of if their position would garner tips or not.

I'm saying it's ambiguous. According to the junior high rules, it's clearly 16, but depending on context 1 would be just as reasonable if not more so.
@LogGrad98 As an example I ran across just now, the textbook I'm using for a senior level physics class has this expression in it: C^2/Nm^2. That can be read "coulombs squared per newton meter squared". (The ^ indicates superscripts.) And that expression clearly means (from context) C^2/(Nm^2), NOT as junior high rules would argue, (C^2/N) * m^2

@LogGrad98 As an example I ran across just now, the textbook I'm using for a senior level physics class has this expression in it: C^2/Nm^2. That can be read "coulombs squared per newton meter squared". (The ^ indicates superscripts.) And that expression clearly means (from context) C^2/(Nm^2), NOT as junior high rules would argue, (C^2/N) * m^2
I always tend to view the standard division symbol at a / anyway, so I tend to see those always as fractions. Hence I got 1 for that problem.

Overly loud music blaring at bars or bar/restaurants. Hate this ****. I don’t want to have to raise my voice or scream at my wife all night for her to hear me. Surely there’s been studies on this that more decibels equals more foot traffic and revenue, but **** man. Lower it 15%. I don’t want to have a raspy voice tomorrow.

Edit: Jesus, **** autocorrect. Probably number one on my pet peeve list.

Last edited:
Overly loud music blaring at bars or bar/restaurants. Hate this ****. I don’t want to have to raise my voice or scream at my wife all night for her to hear me. Surely there’s been studies on this that more decibels equals more foot traffic and revenue, but **** man. Lower it 15%. I don’t want to have a raspy voice tomorrow.

Edit: Jesus, **** autocorrect. Probably number one on my pet peeve list.
Ya, I'm old too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

The scene down here on the boardwalk (me and MsSerp walked over 9 miles today up and down almost the entire boardwalk) has really improved the last 10-20 years. I’d say 80% of it is happening. I think part of that is how the 21-35 year old crowd (and older like myself) has really embraced good drink (mircrobrews) and good food (like an art) and wants to experience life...though I think they’ll be in for a rude awakening when they’re older and bitch like ignorant liberals do when they don’t have enough savings for retirement.

I am really enjoying the fact that you don't use a wallet in China. You pay for everything with your cell phone. You also don't need an ID for much. No bars check IDs that's for sure.

But I have a basics wallet. It's great. Money clips are too bulky. The clip sticks out too much for me.
The drawback is that if you lose or forget your cell phone you're ******. I've never lost a wallet. Cell phone? A couple of times. I hate Apple and I'm not too fond of Android. Nor do I think a bloody phone should cost damn near $1K. I'm likely going back to basics soon. Give me just what I need at an affordable price. And stay the hell off my lawn.

I could probably get by with a money clip, but I use a pretty thin wallet which I keep in front pocket. Have done that for years as an anti-theft measure. I guess for us po' folk that can't carry a few $100's around and get $200-$300 from an ATM, money clips won't hold our measly spending money.

Last edited:
The drawback is that if you lose or forget your cell phone you're ******. I've never lost a wallet. Cell phone? A couple of times. I hate Apple and I'm not too fond of Android. Nor do I think a bloody phone should cost damn near $1K. I'm likely going back to basics soon. Give me just what I need at an affordable price. And stay the hell off my lawn.

I could probably get by with a money clip, but I use a pretty thin wallet which I keep in front pocket. Have done that for years as an anti-theft measure. I guess for us po' folk that can't carry a few $100's around and get $200-$300 from an ATM, money clips won't hold our measly spending money.

Funny. I’ve thought about ditching my phone and just IM’ing my friends on their phones as “texts” which I think is possible. The problem is, I probably need my phone for Google Maps alone.