What's new

Stupid Pet Peeves

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Western-Spotted-Orbweaver.jpg

I don’t remember these in Utah but where I live in Southern California they are everywhere. They are the western spotted orbweaver. They aren’t aggressive or dangerous. They are venomous but supposedly it is really mild. I’ve never even heard of anyone ever being bitten by one but they are crazy good at making webs.

These spiders will create webs 10 feet across in a handful of hours, usually overnight. It is common for me to get up early in the morning to walk the dog down the trail next to my house and walk face-first into one of their spider webs spanning trees on either side of the trail. That is immediately followed by my flailing around to get all the spider web off me and violently brush my clothing to make sure no spiders are on me. For some reason my dog never clears the webs before I walk into them because these spiders prefer to spin webs at human face height.
Don't see too many of these in the inland empire, but I have seen them on trails closer to the coast. And yes their webs are impressive. Freaky looking spider in the wild that is for sure. We went on a hike near Oceanside with my family a few years back and my son got one on his daypack after walking through a web. which means, of course, that we all nearly beat him to death. (But he probably deserved it.)

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
I hate that the white supremacists and MAGA pieces of **** have co-opted patriotism. I have a white shirt with big words across the front that say "true to the red white and blue" in red white and blue of course, which I like to wear to the beach. But now I feel self-conscious hoping no one mistakes me for a trump supporter. We need to take our patriotism back!

Gameface

PICKS = FLEXIBILITY
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I hate that the white supremacists and MAGA pieces of **** have co-opted patriotism. I have a white shirt with big words across the front that say "true to the red white and blue" in red white and blue of course, which I like to wear to the beach. But now I feel self-conscious hoping no one mistakes me for a trump supporter. We need to take our patriotism back!
So much this

Gameface

PICKS = FLEXIBILITY
Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
I use swipe, which is kind of dumb, and it leads to a lot of typos (swipos?) but tonight was a good one.

My wife is at work but I was ordering some sandwiches online and asked what she wanted via text message. She didn't get back to me so I just re-ordered what she got last time. A little after that she texted me what she wanted which was pretty close except that she didn't want it toasted and she wanted pickles. So I text her back that I already ordered and that her sandwich was "fisted" and had pickles. I attempted to swipe toasted and swipe figured I must have meant fisted. Like seriously, fisted?

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
I use swipe, which is kind of dumb, and it leads to a lot of typos (swipos?) but tonight was a good one.

My wife is at work but I was ordering some sandwiches online and asked what she wanted via text message. She didn't get back to me so I just re-ordered what she got last time. A little after that she texted me what she wanted which was pretty close except that she didn't want it toasted and she wanted pickles. So I text her back that I already ordered and that her sandwich was "fisted" and had pickles. I attempted to swipe toasted and swipe figured I must have meant fisted. Like seriously, fisted?
Well it pulls mostly from your search history, so.......

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner

I use swipe as well.
Nice typo bro lol