What's new

Terrible movies.

Many of the movies mentioned here are not bad movies. You simply did not like them. We Bought a Zoo or The Village are not bad movies imo. They hit the mark they intended on hitting. The Mummy, however, is such a mess. The script, acting, CGI, pretty much everything about it was so absurd.

Many of the movies mentioned here are not bad movies. You simply did not like them. We Bought a Zoo or The Village are not bad movies imo. They hit the mark they intended on hitting. The Mummy, however, is such a mess. The script, acting, CGI, pretty much everything about it was so absurd.
My kids love We Bought a Zoo... if it doesn't make you tear up a little then you are dead inside.

Phantom Menace is in a tier of its own.
Batman vs Superman was terrible.
Suicide Squad.
Watchmen. Ugh.
The Last Airbender. Such a good source material too.
Matrix 2 and 3 weren't all that terrible but huge disappointments after the 1st one.
Sucker Punch. Anything by Snyder after 300 really.

I thought "12 Years a Slave" was a terrible movie. I get that some might appreciate the technical aspects of it (like the acting), or they value the subject content, but after watching it I wished I could get my 2 hours back. I want a movie to 1) entertain, 2) uplift, and 3) teach me something. This movie failed in all 3 aspects.

Who the **** goes to a movie like 12 Years a Slave or Schindlers List to be entertained or uplifted? And as far as teaching you something... Did you read the book? Like this actually happened. His story is non-fiction. Prior to the Civil War, there was a (legal) industry of capturing northern freemen and bringing them into slavery in the south. I guess in a way, his story can be uplifting because he was one who escaped. His story is the outlier as we don’t have records of those freemen who were captured and then spent the rest of their lives as slaves. They either had no way of letting their families know what had happened or were prohibited from using paper.

This is extremely relevant in today’s society where you have a significant part of the country attempting to whitewash this history insult people concerned with racist as “social justice warriors” They tell us to “Get Over” social injustices that continue today. One cannot miss the connection between “12 Years a Slave” and today’s “Just Mercy.” Theres a clear connection to slavery and today’s incarceration rate of minorities and the failed “war on drugs”

Why was this protest in Virginia planned on MLK Day? It’s not a coincidence. Seeing the state of American society today, one cannot help but wonder if we need more movies like “12 Years a Slave?” I mean, hell, how many glorifying WWI (I just saw 1917 it was awesome) and WWII movies have we made when compared to the amount of movies made on slavery? Yet, which issue has had the greater impact on our society?

Last edited:
Who the **** goes to a movie like 12 Years a Slave or Schindlers List to be entertained or uplifted? And as far as teaching you something... Did you read the book? Like this actually happened. His story is non-fiction. Prior to the Civil War, there was a (legal) industry of capturing northern freemen and bringing them into slavery in the south. I guess in a way, his story can be uplifting because he was one who escaped. His story is the outlier as we don’t have records of those freemen who were captured and then spent the rest of their lives as slaves. They either had no way of letting their families know what had happened or were prohibited from using paper.

This is extremely relevant in today’s society where you have a significant part of the country attempting to insult people like me as “social justice warriors” and telling us to “Get Over” social injustices that continue today. One cannot miss the connection between “12 Years a Slave” and today’s “Just Mercy.”

Why was this protest in Virginia planned on MLK Day? It’s not a coincidence. Seeing the state of American society today, one cannot help but wonder if we need more movies like “12 Years a Slave?” I mean, hell, how many glorifying WWI (I just saw 1917 it was awesome) and WWII movies have we made when compared to the amount of movies made on slavery? Yet, which issue has had the greater impact on our society?
Subjective opinions. I learned nothing (I was already aware of this historical practice and this particular example), it was not entertaining (what kind of creep would think it was entertaining), and I did not personally find the story uplifting/inspiring. There are plenty of movies about horrible things that are inspiring, this was not one. To be fair, I was inspired by Samuel Bass (Brad Pitt), but it was such a small part/role that I didn't think it was a redeeming story. My main take away from the film is that slavery was terrible (to different degrees) and life isn't fair.

Subjective opinions. I learned nothing (I was already aware of this historical practice and this particular example), it was not entertaining (what kind of creep would think it was entertaining), and I did not personally find the story uplifting/inspiring. There are plenty of movies about horrible things that are inspiring, this was not one. To be fair, I was inspired by Samuel Bass (Brad Pitt), but it was such a small part/role that I didn't think it was a redeeming story. My main take away from the film is that slavery was terrible (to different degrees) and life isn't fair.

Which is probably what his book and 200 years later, the movie, were trying to convey. Considering the state of our society, it’s a message that bears repeating. History will be forgotten if we don’t tell it, right?

In terms of the movie I rated highly and thoroughly enjoyed, despite generally mediocre critical and commercial success was "Joe Versus the Volcano"

Interesting life and social commentary, fine acting, cool story and thought-provocative.

Because it had a silly title and silly scenes, I believe people missed the fact that is had a serious and interesting message, was heartwarming and was tons of fun. Peak Meg Ryan and solid Tom Hanks; they had chemistry across multiple Ryan characters.

I actually put it into my personal "top 100" movie list.

IAWTP

Phantom Menace is in a tier of its own.
Batman vs Superman was terrible.
Suicide Squad.
Watchmen. Ugh.
The Last Airbender. Such a good source material too.
Matrix 2 and 3 weren't all that terrible but huge disappointments after the 1st one.
Sucker Punch. Anything by Snyder after 300 really.

Oh, you're right. Suicide Squad was definitely one of my top 5 worst movies that year

Ray Parker Jr. has done songs for most of these movies you guys are mentioning...

There’s a movie I remember seeing when I was like 4-5. I forget the exact plot but something happens toward the end where the main kid ends up going missing. If I recall correctly, he was flying some kind of plane he made. Somehow he ends up going to the future and his little brother, who is now much older than he is, somehow gets into contact with him and is trying to help him land a plane and reunite.

There may have never been a plane, and I’m not sure if anyone knows what I’m talking about. Movie was from 80s.

There’s a movie I remember seeing when I was like 4-5. I forget the exact plot but something happens toward the end where the main kid ends up going missing. If I recall correctly, he was flying some kind of plane he made. Somehow he ends up going to the future and his little brother, who is now much older than he is, somehow gets into contact with him and is trying to help him land a plane and reunite.

There may have never been a plane, and I’m not sure if anyone knows what I’m talking about. Movie was from 80s.
Flight of the Navigator. Had to google it and wasn’t sure until the end of the plot where I saw they shot off fireworks to guide him.