What's new

The Conley Conundrum

Mudiay most likely wont be in a playoff rotation.

It will be:

Conley
Mitchell
Ingles
Bojan
Rudy

Royce
Clarkson
Davis

And the 4th bench guy will be a wild-card situational player.
No way, the three guard line-up will get used more, especially with Rudy out because you don't want him clogging up the paint; look at how effective it has been since Clarkson joined the Jazz.

yeah, because Conley got hurt for what? a month now? how is DM/the Jazz doing without him BTW, mind me asking?

Do you honestly believe Conley will ever pick up his play without us ever making him the primary ball-handler again? Do you?

if you want DM to continue being our primary ball-handler. why bring in Conley? what good does he do? teaching DM on how to keep trying those garbage floaters and not going to the line?

So Conley plays with Mitchell-Bogey-Royce-Rudy and his play is elevated but when Ingles instead of Conley has similar Net rating on easier schedule, It's because Conley isn't playing and Ingles fits so well?

All those who lost hope on Conley should look at Joe Ingles' recent metamorphosis. His play was so much affected by the change of role and new situation of coming of the bench. How more complicated must it be for Conley who changed the team for the first time after so many years in Memphis.

All those who lost hope on Conley should look at Joe Ingles' recent metamorphosis. His play was so much affected by the change of role and new situation of coming of the bench. How more complicated must it be for Conley who changed the team for the first time after so many years in Memphis.
We are light years better with a good Ingles. We will be light years better with a good Conley.

Not to mention Conley has had a history of slow starts amd being in a new enviroment hasnt helped. But folks its a long season which will hopefully feature a Conley resurgence at some point. It took a lot to get this guy here, we arent going to just throw it away.

Which also explains why Clarkson is struggling so bad...oh wait.

To me Conley is a slightly above average player who absolutely mastered the Memphis system. It took him 7 years before he cracked 15 ppg and he never averaged 7 assists once.

To me Conley is a slightly above average player who absolutely mastered the Memphis system. It took him 7 years before he cracked 15 ppg and he never averaged 7 assists once.

I am okay with 15ppg and 6 assists. He's always a threat and will stretch defenses with his shot ability.

Adding more scoring punch with him and Clarkson is big time for the Jazz.

Which also explains why Clarkson is struggling so bad...oh wait.
I don't know if that's fair. Clarkson's role is simplistic in comparison. Conley finds his place and this team is dangerous. I look at how efficient top players here are now and already looks scary. This is coming from someone on the outside looking in

I am looking at old articles on what made Davis so good and I have no idea why he is sucking *** right now.
It’s really rather strange. Unless aging just hit him kinda hard. Maybe his leg isn’t quite right? In any case, he’s never done anything useful on offense besides putbacks and that kinda ruins the offense that is run here.

At this point, I'm just hoping that Conley can be a decent bench level player. He's been replacement level so far. We have a great starting 5. Just need a couple bench players to give non terrible minutes. It's sad that these are the expectations for someone who we traded so much for, but that's we're at right now with Conley.

From what I've seen, his struggles have much more to do with lack of ability than fitting into a new scheme or setting. He's aging like every undersized, off injured, 32 year old player does.

Okay, but this is actually kind of a bad argument because Joe didn’t figure out how to come off the bench. He’s shining because they brought him back to the starting lineup. In order for your example to work, we’d have to turn this team into the Grizzlies, the city into Memphis, go into a time machine and grab Marc Gasol, and turn ballhandling duties over to Conley almost exclusively.

I’m not saying Conley is bad or that this can’t work, but he is unnecessary, the fit isn’t great, and the Jazz gutted their flexibility to get him which is tough. The idea that he’s just going to figure out how to completely change his game at this stage in his career is flawed.

Ingles has an offball game, Conley does not. So Ingles is all about finding his shot, whereas Conley is about the system fit and having the ball in his hand more, which probably won't happen. Neither was the good Ingles gonna happen had Conley not being out. That kinda says alot

Last edited: