What's new

The Minimum FA Bargain Bin

I don't think this is worth starting a thread about, but Wind Horse mentioned in passing that Cavs and Kevin Love may engage in buyout talks this year.

If you can get him and get him in a place physically to where he is replacing Niang and Favors minutes (on the high end), then that's pretty sexy. Maybe?

pray 4 @infection
If he can pass a physical and play 15-20 minutes when needed, then I'd consider pursuing him.

I’ve always been ready to welcome Torrey Craig. I thought he looked good in spot minutes for Phoenix.
It's a no-brainer. It's like your comment about Butler being a no-brainer at 30 but then getting credit at 40. Craig was a no-brainer last year, especially as we got a good look at him in the playoffs and had familiarity. He was also a no-brainer when he got moved to Phoenix. He's a no-brainer now. I mean, even if you just pick him up on a minimum or somewhat more, that's a pretty decent off-season even if he's your one wing pickup. It's a good floor. Hopefully we recognize that.

So that's insane. We have 0 evidence that Niang can perform anywhere near the level and consistency that Bojan has in big moments.

Niang is a player, but we simply don't have evidence to suggest he's better than a 9th man on a good team. He did great in that role last year, but I didn't see a lot of flashes that he was ready for more than that.
Where did this resurgence of love for Niang come from? The dude is a bum and hardly an NBA rotation level player. He might give you regular season minutes but he will never EVER be of value in the playoffs.

Bogey level? GTFOH. Disrespectful....

Add some young guys with upside in Summer league and preseason - get a good look at them - and then actually keep them.
Jazz have had Alex Caruso, Danuel House and Cameron Payne all in the building. . . but didn’t keep any of them. And pretty much nobody wanted Christian Wood until two years ago. Any of them would’ve been a playoff rotation guy for the Jazz.
At least they were smart enough to bring Royce back and keep him over Bolomboy.

It's a no-brainer. It's like your comment about Butler being a no-brainer at 30 but then getting credit at 40. Craig was a no-brainer last year, especially as we got a good look at him in the playoffs and had familiarity. He was also a no-brainer when he got moved to Phoenix. He's a no-brainer now. I mean, even if you just pick him up on a minimum or somewhat more, that's a pretty decent off-season even if he's your one wing pickup. It's a good floor. Hopefully we recognize that.

So basically when it's all said and done, it's a no-brainer.

Dan Clayton keeps pointing out that Torrey Craig is one of the worst p&r defenders in the league, and also is a just OK shooter.

I'm with HH. Prefer Nader.
I love Craig. Especially at the minimum. He will shoot around 35% from 3... he gets a ton of rebounds and plays very physical defense. 10-15 minutes a night of Craig would be a step up in defensive intensity.

I like Nader but really not sure how to classify his defense. I think he's fine on that end.

I love Craig. Especially at the minimum. He will shoot around 35% from 3... he gets a ton of rebounds and plays very physical defense. 10-15 minutes a night of Craig would be a step up in defensive intensity.

I like Nader but really not sure how to classify his defense. I think he's fine on that end.
My dream is using all available money on OPJ. Can we use the TPE for a S&T? See if Orlando would want OKC’s fourth worst second rounder in 2027. Anyway, back to my dream: somehow land OPJ. Then sign Craig. Both can get some minutes but Craig becomes your OPJ injury insurance.

Run with Udoka but wouldn’t mind an Udoh or some other variety big on a minimum. Dwight Howard would be tight. You could sell him on having a defense that’s designed for a guy like him and he could be bench Rudy.

My dream is using all available money on OPJ. Can we use the TPE for a S&T? See if Orlando would want OKC’s fourth worst second rounder in 2027. Anyway, back to my dream: somehow land OPJ. Then sign Craig. Both can get some minutes but Craig becomes your OPJ injury insurance.

Run with Udoka but wouldn’t mind an Udoh or some other variety big on a minimum. Dwight Howard would be tight. You could sell him on having a defense that’s designed for a guy like him and he could be bench Rudy.
A follow-up on this if we used the TPE for a S&T then we traded Favors and a conditional pick for OPJ, and not just a salary dump.

A follow-up on this if we used the TPE for a S&T then we traded Favors and a conditional pick for OPJ, and not just a salary dump.
We can't accept a player in a sign and trade deal because we are over the apron. OP jr. for the taxpayer MLE is the biggest swing... I'd want a second year team option if they went that way... and yes... we'd need another vet just in case.

We can't accept a player in a sign and trade deal because we are over the apron. OP jr. for the taxpayer MLE is the biggest swing... I'd want a second year team option if they went that way... and yes... we'd need another vet just in case.
What do you think OPJ's market is? I'd definitely grab him + Craig.

What do you think OPJ's market is? I'd definitely grab him + Craig.
Depends on his current health... I'd say taxpayer MLE is adequate. He might get more than that, but I could also see him getting a minimum deal from the Lakers instead. The issue is once you take a minimum deal its hard to make more because you are viewed as a minimum guy... the Jeff Green conundrum.

So I think we could offer full taxpayer mle... second year is team option... so if he can't get healthy you have a get out of jail card. It is a $20M gamble on a guy who has played 43 games in 2 years. I think Craig gets BAE from someone... he's earned more than the minimum and has not made money in his career yet.

Depends on his current health... I'd say taxpayer MLE is adequate. He might get more than that, but I could also see him getting a minimum deal from the Lakers instead. The issue is once you take a minimum deal its hard to make more because you are viewed as a minimum guy... the Jeff Green conundrum.

So I think we could offer full taxpayer mle... second year is team option... so if he can't get healthy you have a get out of jail card. It is a $20M gamble on a guy who has played 43 games in 2 years. I think Craig gets BAE from someone... he's earned more than the minimum and has not made money in his career yet.
Don't we have BAE too? Grab both those guys then light up a cigarette.

I would do Porter and Darius Miller... Miller is a good/great shooter. Not a world beater on defense but just fine there. Great insurance option.