What's new

The Minimum FA Bargain Bin

Niang is absolutely fine as a 9th or 10th man. In this capacity, he would help any team make it through the regular season in better shape. The only problems I have with Niang are

(a) when he’s asked to do more than this role suggests (playoff rotations are often trimmed to 8)

and

(b) the fact that he’s about to be paid more than a 9th or 10th player on a tax-paying team should be. (Unless you’re one of the fortunate few who have no ceiling as far as willingness to pay tax is concerned).

Love your Nader call. Love. Great shooter. Decent other numbers. Positive advanced defensive metrics which is surprising on that crap team. 7’1” wingspan—same as Draymond fwiw. I think he gets more than the minimum though. Regardless, I really like this idea.

Here’s the argument for absolutely moving on from Niang:

He’s a crutch for Quin and might be a roadblock to adding or developing someone/something else.

I think the Jazz would benefit from some churn on the margins. Maybe even greatly.
This. It’s the same problem with Favors. Favors and Niang would be great pieces to have on the bench, except Quin. Quin turns it into an opportunity cost.

This. It’s the same problem with Favors. Favors and Niang would be great pieces to have on the bench, except Quin. Quin turns it into an opportunity cost.
Bingo. And all of the work to improve the roster would amount to jack **** if they were kept.

The Jazz need to seize the opportunity to learn and improve from last year. Last year was the year of greatest opportunity, but this is probably the last year of this build believably going for it. If the Jazz nail the remaining moves, they might not need all-time luck like last year.

I still don't know the answer to this but does anyone know why FA is AFTER the draft? I've always felt it should be the other way around

Still think there's no move that propels the team to the next level as long as Rudy don't finish plays with no defender around him.
Ultimately this is the flaw that will end up exhausting everything else.
It kills me that it is very probably most of a mental Rudy thing than anything else.

Last edited:
I’m still baffled that so many Jazz fans can talk themselves into actually being Pro-Niang.

He is completely, totally, and utterly unplayable in the playoffs and if he’s playing 10-12 minutes per night in the regular season, he’s doing so at the expense of somebody who might actually have a decent ceiling and can grow into a player that can actually help the Utah Jazz advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

He’s a safety blanket for Quin, and I’m at the point in which I firmly believe that our Front Office needs to jettison any player that fits into that category.

I’m still baffled that so many Jazz fans can talk themselves into actually being Pro-Niang.

He is completely, totally, and utterly unplayable in the playoffs and if he’s playing 10-12 minutes per night in the regular season, he’s doing so at the expense of somebody who might actually have a decent ceiling and can grow into a player that can actually help the Utah Jazz advance past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

He’s a safety blanket for Quin, and I’m at the point in which I firmly believe that our Front Office needs to jettison any player that fits into that category.
Every word of this

100% agree with everything you just said

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Man, you guys really hate elite shooters who actually try to play defense.

Niang had one bad series. Let me guess, there is a high overlap in the people that think he’s trash and those who actually believe he forgot how to shoot at the beginning of the season.

Were people demanding that Mitchell be ousted after having back to back horrific playoff series? Or is that obviously a stupid way to evaluate a player as a whole…

Man, you guys really hate elite shooters who actually try to play defense.

Niang had one bad series. Let me guess, there is a high overlap in the people that think he’s trash and those who actually believe he forgot how to shoot at the beginning of the season.

Were people demanding that Mitchell be ousted after having back to back horrific playoff series? Or is that obviously a stupid way to evaluate a player as a whole…
Niang helped alot during the regular season. He won us a few games and I wish we get him back (add another guy for defense issues) .but he will get paid alot elsewhere. Sigh...