What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Well I guess we can call them both liars then cuz Harden opted IN to play for the team. All time loser energy.

Didn't you post that Dame should be able to go wherever he wants even though he opted to sign a huge contract? Now you are calling Harden a liar and has All time loser energy after opting in to his contract and then not wanting to play for that team anymore.

FYI, this isn't an attack, but just seeking clarification on what feels like a nuanced opinion on player empowerment.

Didn't you post that Dame should be able to go wherever he wants even though he opted to sign a huge contract? Now you are calling Harden a liar and has All time loser energy after opting in to his contract and then not wanting to play for that team anymore.

FYI, this isn't an attack, but just seeking clarification on what feels like a nuanced opinion on player empowerment.
Yeah, not anywhere he wants but as long as the return is solid, Dame was super loyal… signed a deal that would help them build a team rather than doing the Lebron… they failed miserably and shut him down multiple years in a row… and drafted a guy that plays his position.

Harden… requests a trade from Houston… then Brooklyn… then opts in and literally at the same moment requests a trade… okay? He’s just got a ton of loser energy.

Agree with the loser energy, but I think the lie was that Morey promised to get the trade done if Harden opts in.

Starting an outright smear campaign is still way too distasteful, even for Harden.

Interesting if true. It makes sense, but has this been reported?

Agree with the loser energy, but I think the lie was that Morey promised to get the trade done if Harden opts in.

Starting an outright smear campaign is still way too distasteful, even for Harden.
The lie started last summer... but that's why he won't tell cuz it gets everyone in hot water. Morey and Harden did the 1+1 deal for less than the max and I can promise there was a wink and a nod there.... or at least Harden thinks there was.

The thing I don't get with Harden is that if his main goal is to secure his long term financial future, then all of this seems to be actively harming that.

Kind of got to accept that Morey ****ed you and just play your best ball so you can bail next year to whoever can pay you.

Yeah, in this specific case it doesn't seem like you can really blame Harden for opting in and then asking for a trade since that was kind of the plan.

Morey did bamboozle him for sure though. Harden took a 14M paycut for last season, and if he opted out it would have been 14M down the toilet.

I'm nearly 100% sure that the behind the scenes deal there was that Philly either gives him a bag this offseason or works out a trade to his preferred destination in exchange for the pay cut.

Problem is if Clippers knew this they had all the leverage and were probably dumping their worst contracts in the package.

Problem is if Clippers knew this they had all the leverage and were probably dumping their worst contracts in the package.
And if that’s the case, the Clippers now have even more leverage. Or at least Harden has less since he may have further priced Philly out of a deal.

Yeah, in this specific case it doesn't seem like you can really blame Harden for opting in and then asking for a trade since that was kind of the plan.
No one is really blameless here. Harden could have taken the bag in Brooklyn and shot himself in the foot. Then trusted the guy to trade him after giving a discount he kind of had to give... cuz his market wasn't that great.

James also cranked up the rumor mill a few times during the season including on Christmas day that he was headed back to Houston.

I don't see a great out for any of these liars unless Clips give something solid. I guess they will all get what they deserve... fun times in Philly.

No one is really blameless here. Harden could have taken the bag in Brooklyn and shot himself in the foot. Then trusted the guy to trade him after giving a discount he kind of had to give... cuz his market wasn't that great.

James also cranked up the rumor mill a few times during the season including on Christmas day that he was headed back to Houston.

I don't see a great out for any of these liars unless Clips give something solid. I guess they will all get what they deserve... fun times in Philly.

I'm just trying to understand how it's beneficial for either of them to put this stuff out there in August.

I'm just trying to understand how it's beneficial for either of them to put this stuff out there in August.
Its not... but if you tell the team privately and they say... "cool we are gonna do what we want" then the player and agent have to get more aggressive. With Dame I see it as almost doing Portland a favor - why burn the last 1-3 years of his prime on a team in a rebuild and then have a mammoth contract to deal with? Him stepping up to be the bad guy helping them do what they need to for the benefit of the franchise in a way. Harden is playing with the MVP of the league... so play it out and try to win a title.

Part of it though... Dame is infinitely more likeable than Harden... any inconsistency can be explained with... I just like him more.

When the will of indulging your emotional distress through catharsis outweighs your ability to contextualize the logistical consequences of those actions. Feelings rule the day, situational improvement be damned.