What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Luka/Lauri/Kessler would be a serious title contender... I have zero doubt about it.

My reservations on Luka is we'd likely never get on his list of preferred destinations and without that you'd have him for such a small window it is too big of a bet to make for a 12 month opportunity.
Eh, Toronto turned that exact scenario into a ring with Kawhi. Would a short term rental be worth it for a ring?

Eh, Toronto turned that exact scenario into a ring with Kawhi. Would a short term rental be worth it for a ring?
What was their investment and what will our investment be?

They gave up DeRozan, 1 first, and Poeltl... At the very minimum... we'd be giving up 3+ firsts and 1 or 2 of our top young players. Kawhi was a once in a lifetime type of situation. He sat out games with his tendinopathy so that scared away some suitors. SA refused to deal with the Lakers and wanted to stay mediocre... so they did a weird deal on the cheap.

What was their investment and what will our investment be?

They gave up DeRozan, 1 first, and Poeltl... At the very minimum... we'd be giving up 3+ firsts and 1 or 2 of our top young players. Kawhi was a once in a lifetime type of situation. He sat out games with his tendinopathy so that scared away some suitors. SA refused to deal with the Lakers and wanted to stay mediocre... so they did a weird deal on the cheap.
Well you added to your reservations which center around us primarily being a short-term suitor. If that is the primary concern, well it's worked out at least once, and I'm sure we could come up with other examples as well. But now you added the caveat of cost. Seems like the short-term rental aspect isn't necessarily your biggest reservation. But from the standpoint of your original post the question stands, is it worth having him for a year if that year yielded a ring? Legit question as, to your new point, getting him for that year likely details us doing much beyond that due to cost. But we'd have to consider it, imo, if we felt it could get us a ring. And if we did get a ring maybe it would be enough for him to stick around for longer.

Well you added to your reservations which center around us primarily being a short-term suitor. If that is the primary concern, well it's worked out at least once, and I'm sure we could come up with other examples as well. But now you added the caveat of cost. Seems like the short-term rental aspect isn't necessarily your biggest reservation. But from the standpoint of your original post the question stands, is it worth having him for a year if that year yielded a ring? Legit question as, to your new point, getting him for that year likely details us doing much beyond that due to cost. But we'd have to consider it, imo, if we felt it could get us a ring. And if we did get a ring maybe it would be enough for him to stick around for longer.
Look banners fly forever so yeah it'd be worth it... but even the Leonard rental may not work out if KD doesn't snap his achilles. Its a big bet to make... so yes cost is like the biggest factor. If I am renting something for $1,000 or $1M the assessment changes.

Dallas doesn't look good at all. It's Luka isolations with guys like Lively and Grant Williams standing around watching.
Obviously it's just pre-season, but so much is on Luka/Kyrie, especially if they start Omax and Lively.

I get starting Lively because they need his potential rim protection, but I don't get start OMax over Green.

Also NAW looking very good.
I think that may have been the guy that got thrown out cuz we had too many guys that we may regret. Really liked what he was bringing as a defender and pseudo-kinda-point guard. Like a poor man's Caruso type of thing. He seemed like he was figuring some things out.

Dallas is completely heliocentric around Luka and Kyrie, who need to beat their defender to create from 25+ feet out on the floor. Grant Williams, Seth Curry, Dereck Lively, Max Kleber, Josh Green can't create much. Their roster just doesn't have much talent or size.

Jazz should be >> Dallas.

I think that may have been the guy that got thrown out cuz we had too many guys that we may regret. Really liked what he was bringing as a defender and pseudo-kinda-point guard. Like a poor man's Caruso type of thing. He seemed like he was figuring some things out.
I just dont think he was a great fit with our roster. I think he works better with a team that has more established players and defined roles.

I think he's a backup, but still a rotational guy who eventually figured out his role. He came into the league trying to be a lead guard, and that's not him. He's a 3D guy who can slash and playmake a bit.

Dallas is completely heliocentric around Luka and Kyrie, who need to beat their defender to create from 25+ feet out on the floor. Grant Williams, Seth Curry, Dereck Lively, Max Kleber, Josh Green can't create much. Their roster just doesn't have much talent or size.

Jazz should be >> Dallas.
I'm sad Exum hasnt gotten in yet.

Also, when Haradaway gets healthy, that should help a lot. Looking at his stats last year, he had a bad year overall, but after ASB he was on fire.

I think Dallas might just have a slow start with them trying to get these rookies thrown in the fire. They really need Hardy/Green/Omax/Lively to develop over the year.

Over the course of the year I could see it really clicking though and them being dangerous. They need to figure out the center position more than anything. Either Lively gets good over the year, or they start going to Richaun Holmes and he revives his career from where he looked pretty good at Sacramento pre-Sabonis era.

With respect to what he was being paid, Holmes wasn't just "pretty good." He was one of the best value contracts in the NBA.

Back