What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

OK I got some juicy news from a very, very, very reliable source is all I can say. Wasn't going to post here but we've already touched a bit on this subject and it does effect our future draft picks so here goes...

Don is 99% out of Cleveland at this point. The Cavs are a mess and not even playing as a team. Dan Gilbert, the 2nd richest owner in the NBA and the #1 meddler, is back to running (micromanaging) the organization after a 4 year break when he suffered that stroke in '19 so expect a bunch of instability. He is currently financing a $1 billion riverfront project in Cleveland and the Cavs are supposed to be the focal point of that development. Also his son recently passed so Gilbert has literally thrown himself back into running the NBA team as his outlet. I imagine soon the big NBA talking heads are going to start talking about it. Their GM Altman was also embarrassingly stopped for drunk driving a few months ago which likely also greased the skids for Gilbert to get back in the saddle. Altman was considered the untouchable golden boy until that point.

Gilbert is now allegedly requiring his head coach Bickerstaff to submit his gameplan before every game for Gilbert's review. That is how much he is micromanaging the team. I heard if they had actually lost last night's game to Portland that Bickerstaff would've been fired which is very likely the reason he basically played a 7 man rotation on the last night of a west coast road trip against potentially the worst team in the league. Cavs have also been struggling with injuries. Bickerstaff is in the first year of a 4 year extension but that money is peanuts compared to what Gilbert has invested in his river project. The players are all allegedly very aware of the situation.

Gilbert is not going to lose Don the same way he lost Lebron which increases the odds he is traded next summer or maybe even this trade deadline if they keep struggling and another team comes up with a big enough offer. There have been other issues that a few of us have already posted on in this thread (Mobley not quite developing an offensive game, Garland becoming a turnover machine that can't defend after giving him the rookie max contract, roster fit issues, etc). In hindsight they were not nearly ready to jump in and make the Don trade in the first place.

The Rudy/Don trades were long term down the road plays by Ainge attempting to add future lottery picks by having either Cle or Minn stumble similar to what he did in Boston with the Net picks. We all know what happened with Cleveland last time Gilbert was running that team in terms of multiple #1 picks during that time. Just something to keep in the back of our minds as we watch events play out the next few seasons.

OK I got some juicy news from a very, very, very reliable source is all I can say. Wasn't going to post here but we've already touched a bit on this subject and it does effect our future draft picks so here goes...

Don is 99% out of Cleveland at this point. The Cavs are a mess and not even playing as a team. Dan Gilbert, the 2nd richest owner in the NBA and the #1 meddler, is back to running (micromanaging) the organization after a 4 year break when he suffered that stroke in '19 so expect a bunch of instability. He is currently financing a $1 billion riverfront project in Cleveland and the Cavs are supposed to be the focal point of that development. Also his son recently passed so Gilbert has literally thrown himself back into running the NBA team as his outlet. I imagine soon the big NBA talking heads are going to start talking about it. Their GM Altman was also embarrassingly stopped for drunk driving a few months ago which likely also greased the skids for Gilbert to get back in the saddle. Altman was considered the untouchable golden boy until that point.

Gilbert is now allegedly requiring his head coach Bickerstaff to submit his gameplan before every game for Gilbert's review. That is how much he is micromanaging the team. I heard if they had actually lost last night's game to Portland that Bickerstaff would've been fired which is very likely the reason he basically played a 7 man rotation on the last night of a west coast road trip against potentially the worst team in the league. Cavs have also been struggling with injuries. Bickerstaff is in the first year of a 4 year extension but that money is peanuts compared to what Gilbert has invested in his river project. The players are all allegedly very aware of the situation.

Gilbert is not going to lose Don the same way he lost Lebron which increases the odds he is traded next summer or maybe even this trade deadline if they keep struggling and another team comes up with a big enough offer. There have been other issues that a few of us have already posted on in this thread (Mobley not quite developing an offensive game, Garland becoming a turnover machine that can't defend after giving him the rookie max contract, roster fit issues, etc). In hindsight they were not nearly ready to jump in and make the Don trade in the first place.

The Rudy/Don trades were long term down the road plays by Ainge attempting to add future lottery picks by having either Cle or Minn stumble similar to what he did in Boston with the Net picks. We all know what happened with Cleveland last time Gilbert was running that team in terms of multiple #1 picks during that time. Just something to keep in the back of our minds as we watch events play out the next few seasons.
Well that is fun. Thanks for sharing.

Crazy stat of the day:

Podz became the first GSW player not named Steph to score over 20 points this season Tuesday.

Saric had one game with exactly 20 points prior to that, but Klay, Wiggins, CP3 et al havent even hit 20.

Kerr announced that Podz will get a major bump in rotation and will play "every game" from now on.

Zhaire Smith seems to finally be healthy and playing basketball again. Is on the Cleveland Charge and has no NBA affiliation. Has put up 3 good games.

I would sign him to a 2-way ASAP

fascinating info, thanks mate.

Is Klay washed or is it just another slow start? He cannot get any separation off the ball and looked terrible. His defense also not lockdown defense by any means.

I mean in a game without Steph and Draymond you'd expect him to be better than the 8th leading scorer in his team. He didnt even hit the shots where he had some space.

Also Podz didnt have a great game despite the efficient statline, but Warriors didnt really get him the ball when he was open either. He had some bad shooting fouls.

Cason was awesome, despite having a rookie moment with getting blocked clean by the rim. He has great BBIQ and plays very clean but contested defense.

Is Klay washed or is it just another slow start? He cannot get any separation off the ball and looked terrible. His defense also not lockdown defense by any means.

I mean in a game without Steph and Draymond you'd expect him to be better than the 8th leading scorer in his team. He didnt even hit the shots where he had some space.
Klay look really bad this season. Maybe age + injury catch him. The year he supposed to sign new contract , not the right time. Not sure he can bounce back, look really far from what he was.

Also Podz didnt have a great game despite the efficient statline, but Warriors didnt really get him the ball when he was open either. He had some bad shooting fouls.

Cason was awesome, despite having a rookie moment with getting blocked clean by the rim. He has great BBIQ and plays very clean but contested defense.
Will be interesting to watch Cason and keyonte career and see who ends up better.

Will be interesting to watch Cason and keyonte career and see who ends up better.
The way Cason is playing right now he looks like pure 3&D off ball wing. I think he lacks size to play that role at an elite level, but right now he is making the most of it. In OKC I don't think he will get to handle the ball that much with Giddey and SGA being very ball needy.

So in the long run if George hits his full potential Cason doesnt really stand a chance in comparison unless OKC sends out Giddey and gives Cason the ball more.

The way Cason is playing right now he looks like pure 3&D off ball wing. I think he lacks size to play that role at an elite level, but right now he is making the most of it. In OKC I don't think he will get to handle the ball that much with Giddey and SGA being very ball needy.

So in the long run if George hits his full potential Cason doesnt really stand a chance in comparison unless OKC sends out Giddey and gives Cason the ball more.
I think Cason can play more point guardy if he wants. He’s throwing some nice passes and handling the ball in a more meaningful way than a pure 3 and D wing for sure. I agree on ceiling.

I think Cason can play more point guardy if he wants. He’s throwing some nice passes and handling the ball in a more meaningful way than a pure 3 and D wing for sure. I agree on ceiling.
I also like his BBIQ and touch and think he could do more, but he plays with very short touches right now.

That could be by design. Daigneault seems great at adopting rookies and putting them in position to succeed.

The long run is a long time. I bet the okc roster and wallace role on the team (if he is even still with the thunder) will have some changes over the long run.

I also like his BBIQ and touch and think he could do more, but he plays with very short touches right now.

That could be by design. Daigneault seems great at adopting rookies and putting them in position to succeed.
It’s by design but it’s more dictated on what they have around him imo. He’s buying in and doing what he needs to earn playing time.

I agree with a lot of what's been said about Cason, and I've watched him a lot. I think his floor right now is Alex Caruso, because basically he's pretty close to that level of player right now. That's an MLE level player that everyone would love to have on their team.

I still think his ceiling could be Jrue Holliday. If you look at Jrue Holiday's rookie stats, they are somewhat similar, but Jrue played with the ball in his hands more. Cason needs some more opportunities to play point guard though, as he's pretty far behind the curve. He was a forward/center in high school and started his career at Kentucky as a SG/Wing. He's really only had a half season at Kentucky playing point.

I agree with a lot of what's been said about Cason, and I've watched him a lot. I think his floor right now is Alex Caruso, because basically he's pretty close to that level of player right now. That's an MLE level player that everyone would love to have on their team.

I still think his ceiling could be Jrue Holliday. If you look at Jrue Holiday's rookie stats, they are somewhat similar, but Jrue played with the ball in his hands more. Cason needs some more opportunities to play point guard though, as he's pretty far behind the curve. He was a forward/center in high school and started his career at Kentucky as a SG/Wing. He's really only had a half season at Kentucky playing point.
In some ways OKC is the perfect fit for him and in other ways it may stifle his development.

The last point I'll make on Cason, is that when a guy is shooting an efg% of 75.4 and has a low turnover rate over 12 games, a pretty decent sample size, you should probably ask them to start doing more until you see their efficiency drop unacceptably. I don't expect Cason to keep shooting nearly this well since that would be unprecedented, but if I were OKC I would want to see what type of usage % he can handle while maintaining a reasonable efg%.. Maybe/hopefully they are bringing him along that way.