What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

OG wants 40 mill a year apparently. He's going to get it from what everyones saying. That means if everyone opts in the year after next, there wouldn't be any money for Donovan

At the start of Stockton's 5th season, he was already 1300 assists ahead of Haliburton at the same point.
How old was Stockton at the start of his 5th season?
Btw I agree that no one will ever beat his record. Just saying that haliburton probably started younger than Stockton which gives him an advantage

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

How old was Stockton at the start of his 5th season?
Btw I agree that no one will ever beat his record. Just saying that haliburton probably started younger than Stockton which gives him an advantage

Stock was 22 when he started, but played at a high level until he was 40. Almost no one does that.

Stockton had super big hands for a person his size. His mitts were as big as Tags. That helps throwing that big orange thing for a strike.

To put that into context, no one else has averaged 12 assists a game since 1994 when Stockton did it AFTER his peak.

Haliburton is on pace to be the first player to average 12+ assists per game since Stockton, which is pretty impressive.

It's basically impossible to beat Stockton's career numbers, but Haliburton could try and get to number 2.

Haliburton would have to average 12 assists per game for the next 13.5 seasons while playing all 82 games per season to beat Stockton’s record. Not happening lol.

Stock was 22 when he started, but played at a high level until he was 40. Almost no one does that.
Agreed. I was hoping for an answer to my question though.

No one thought Stockton would do it until he did it
I remember people (online) talking about maybe Rajon Rondo doing it back at the beginning of 2010-2011 season. He was averaging something really high, like 13.5 APG. Best thing I can find is that he averaged 12.2 APG prior to the all star break and finished the season at 11.2. It’s not to say it can’t be broken, but even Chris Paul doesn’t even have quite 3/4 of the total assists Stockton has, despite 18 seasons, even if he’s had some injury issues. Jason Kidd with 76.6% of Stockton’s assists in 19 seasons. Halliburton is great and you never say never, but even comparisons to guys who fell way short, those guys have massive track records and résumés in this league and wouldn’t be fair to Halliburton to even throw his name into the ring with those guys at this point. That can change, obviously, but it’s a pretty tall order that requires a massively perfect storm.

Stockton's assists record is of one of, if not the, most unbreakable records in all of sports.

The game has changed. You can't be a pure "floor general" as a starting PG anymore like Stockton was. You have to be a constant scoring threat too, especially if you're the franchise player. That has an effect on your assist totals in the long run.

Haliburton is a great player but there's no way in hell he's breaking that record.