What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

What's the appeal of Kuminga?

He's an athletic wing with terrible stocks (@Handlogten's Heros ) who cant shoot.

It basically amounts to he's an athletic rim threat. Would be interesting to have, but it's just a non-starter for a team that hopes to have Walker KEssler (an elite rim protector and someone more important than Kuminga) step in a major role in the coming years.

I don’t think we need to worry about fit at the moment and just focus on getting the most talent we can.
If you are acquiring vets to win now then focus on fit... if it is young upside guys I worry less about that. I am not a huge believer but also don't think he's in the perfect situation and is hamstrung a bit because they are playing guys who are playing worse than him.

Their issues are Green being a psycho, Wiggins checking out completely after getting paid, Klay fighting father time... good luck Warriors.

Is Kerr a bad coach? Asking for reals. I don't think he is bad but may not be the genius everyone thinks.
This is a really great question in even larger contexts. What really makes a good coach? There are a myriad of variables at play. Obviously team success becomes the largest identifiable measuring stick but how tightly does that correlate? How much of it is having a floor of being overall adequate but then the larger variable is being the right guy for the right time/situation, or being able to be there without ****ing it up. I don't think people appreciate how easy it is to **** something up and that it's pretty much the default. Luke Walton didn't **** it up during their run, but also wasn't very remarkable in other contexts. Even beyond coaching, how many Jeremy Lins are out there that you could just plug in to the right situation? On the flip side, how many guys who got plugged into the right situation do we universally identify as being good/valuable but could have very well remained irrelevant to our perceptions had they not landed in those situations? Joe Ingles could have very well never made it in the league. I think there's just this idea that ascending to professional levels is predestined or that if you have the talent and work ethic, that's the only variable that will get you there. How tightly does our perception and consensus align with reality? It correlates, for sure, just not to the degree we would want to believe it does. Is Kerr a legendary coach? Surely he will go down as such. Would he had he not bailed on Phil Jackson and instead took that Knicks job? He'd be doing broadcasting right now. This isn't to say anything good or bad about his abilities as a coach, just the reality.

What's the appeal of Kuminga?

He's an athletic wing with terrible stocks (@Handlogten's Heros ) who cant shoot.

It basically amounts to he's an athletic rim threat. Would be interesting to have, but it's just a non-starter for a team that hopes to have Walker KEssler (an elite rim protector and someone more important than Kuminga) step in a major role in the coming years.
I'm not sure I fully get it either. If its an extremely buy low situation though I would look at his body, age, and production. Without a jumper he is still pretty productive and I at least get the case that there is more there.

The player type is like Pascal? IDK its kind of non-existent which is what makes me not really a Kuminga guy. It gets even harder since we took a flier on John Collins so not something I would advocate doing.

This is a really great question in even larger contexts. What really makes a good coach? There are a myriad of variables at play. Obviously team success becomes the largest identifiable measuring stick but how tightly does that correlate? How much of it is having a floor of being overall adequate but then the larger variable is being the right guy for the right time/situation, or being able to be there without ****ing it up. I don't think people appreciate how easy it is to **** something up and that it's pretty much the default. Luke Walton didn't **** it up during their run, but also wasn't very remarkable in other contexts. Even beyond coaching, how many Jeremy Lins are out there that you could just plug in to the right situation? On the flip side, how many guys who got plugged into the right situation do we universally identify as being good/valuable but could have very well remained irrelevant to our perceptions had they not landed in those situations? Joe Ingles could have very well never made it in the league. I think there's just this idea that ascending to professional levels is predestined or that if you have the talent and work ethic, that's the only variable that will get you there. How tightly does our perception and consensus align with reality? It correlates, for sure, just not to the degree we would want to believe it does. Is Kerr a legendary coach? Surely he will go down as such. Would he had he not bailed on Phil Jackson and instead took that Knicks job? He'd be doing broadcasting right now. This isn't to say anything good or bad about his abilities as a coach, just the reality.
I think we got to view coaching quality as more fluid. It's just one of those things that once you become labeled a great coach, you are always viewed that way, but the reality is that a great coach isnt great in every context, and teams are constantly changing context year to year.

Kerr 100% deserves his flowers in building the Warriors. Hell the last ring they won was incredible on their part. But he might not be a good coach for the next leg of the Warriors run.

I'm not sure I fully get it either. If its an extremely buy low situation though I would look at his body, age, and production. Without a jumper he is still pretty productive and I at least get the case that there is more there.

The player type is like Pascal? IDK its kind of non-existent which is what makes me not really a Kuminga guy. It gets even harder since we took a flier on John Collins so not something I would advocate doing.
But like shouldnt the Warriors be the perfect team for him? I get Kerr is being a curmudgeon on him and rewarding bad vet play too much, but I feel like if we got him he'd just be a worse version of what he's doing now.

Just give me Moody. That's all I want.

There is also Taylor to think about.

Would you rather sink minutes into Kuminga or Hendricks? I guess you *could* do both if Collins wasnt in the picture, but they would still have some interference effect even without Collins.

Wings who can dribble/pass/shoot are the real prize. Moody can do that, and while he might not have the desired height, he still has a great physical profile with length.

I think there is more luck in the coaching and GM jobs than folks would like to admit. You definitely have to be competent but you absolutely have to be lucky too.

But like shouldnt the Warriors be the perfect team for him? I get Kerr is being a curmudgeon on him and rewarding bad vet play too much, but I feel like if we got him he'd just be a worse version of what he's doing now.

Just give me Moody. That's all I want.
I don't know. They play different. You are right the ideal situation is with a shooting 5 where he is kind of operating as a roll man and diving/driving to the rim. I would think Indiana would be perfect for him. he is certainly flawed but mostly he's needed playing time and reps and they've been too hard to come by.

Minny schedule is quite tough too. Lots of game on the road, 2 back to back + defense seems to slow down a bit as Rudy and KAT are clearly tired or slighty injured. Won't be surprised if they loose first position at West.
Teams found the Minny's Kryptonite that is transition defense. When you run 2 bigs on the floor teams just hit you on the fastbreak and look for easy buckets. We were playing slow with Rudy even when he was younger and now Rudy's aging and gotten even slower. Pundits have a point when they said they didn't trust the twolves in the playoffs. They need more pieces than just McDaniels to deal with other teams faster small ball lineups that target them on the break.

There is also Taylor to think about.
I think he'd fit with Taylor or the idea we have about both players.
Would you rather sink minutes into Kuminga or Hendricks? I guess you *could* do both if Collins wasnt in the picture, but they would still have some interference effect even without Collins.
We are limited on minutes and yeah I definitely mentioned Collins. I am in agreement here that we aren't the ideal fit for him now... if the price was right I still might take a flier but yeah I said I wouldn't advocate for it because of Collins. Kuminga is the type of flier you should take... we went for Collins. shrug.
Wings who can dribble/pass/shoot are the real prize. Moody can do that, and while he might not have the desired height, he still has a great physical profile with length.
Sure... I'd rather have Moody at this point. I think they'd likely rather keep him though... especially with the fact he is grumbling to the media now.

Dubs will just have to realize they are wasting Curry's last years of his prime with this Splashbrother+Draymond BS. Trade Draymond and Kuminga to Toronto for Siakam and trade Klay to the Bulls for Lavine to form the new trio. Curry is still awesome as a player. Klay and Draymond are not.

Dubs will just have to realize they are wasting Curry's last years of his prime with this Splashbrother+Draymond BS. Trade Draymond and Kuminga to Toronto for Siakam and trade Klay to the Bulls for Lavine to form the new trio. Curry is still awesome as a player. Klay and Draymond are not.
Kind of hard to convince a team of that when people said the same thing when they won a ring just two years prior.

SF is not nearly as desirable as it used to be. Its a nice play to visit (sometimes)... would suck to live there. Bob Myers bailed on them cuz he knew what is coming.

I'm not a big Kuminga fan but I think you could flip him and recently I have kind of seen what some do. The jumper is ugly and its hard for me to imagine huge upside.
Myers left because he doesn't want to hurt his legacy and players feeling by trading Klay/Draymond. But it needs to be done. I think Dunleavy is brought in specifically for this purpose.

As evidenced by the Raptors’ return for Anunoby, and how Toronto dismissed offers of multiple first-rounders for Anunoby during previous transaction cycles, the Raptors are prioritizing young, established players with upside to slot next to Scottie Barnes, as opposed to a bounty of draft capital, sources said. Toronto continues to value retooling toward a competitive club and not leaning into any type of rebuild.

Quote from the lastest Jake Fischer trade article.

Siakim to Golden State?

Myers left because he doesn't want to hurt his legacy and players feeling by trading Klay/Draymond. But it needs to be done. I think Dunleavy is brought in specifically for this purpose.
Right... exactly what I said... he knows bad things and tough decisions are coming... so he bailed.

And that's the only way to fix Kerr as well. Kumimga and moody will never get real opportunities because Kerr will ride Klay/Draymond until the end of the world. Only Podz can find consistent min because he doesn't play the same position as these two