What's new

The Non-Jazz NBA Thread in the Jazz Section

Tatum struggled with his shot but defensively he was great during the playoffs and he upped his rebounding and playmaking.
As I would expect from any solid level 2 supporting star. Very Pippen-esque.

Finals MVPs of the 2020's

Lebron: 30/12/8, 67% TS
Giannis: 35/13/5 66% TS
Curry: 31/6/5 63% TS
Jokic 30/14/7 67% TS
Brown: 21/5/5 53% TS

I guess having a really stacked/complete team can compensate in the Finals for not having a superstar doing superstar things.
Yep
Of course we already knew this due to the Chauncey pistons.

Exceptions will usually happen on occasion

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Monty Williams was just fired with 5yrs and 65mil left on his contract. Apparently he has another 20mil left that the suns are paying him. Crazy how an average retread coach is getting paid more than any coach in history to stay at home.

Monty Williams was just fired with 5yrs and 65mil left on his contract. Apparently he has another 20mil left that the suns are paying him. Crazy how an average retread coach is getting paid more than any coach in history to stay at home.
Going to go out on a limb and say they negotiated a buyout because it would be insane for Detroit of all teams to be paying a coach that much to leave.

This Monty stuff is pretty crazy. No buyout for Monty. He got $20M to not coach the Suns, now $78.5M from the Pistons. Almost a $100M and all he had to do is fake coach the Pistons for one season. He even told the Pistons he did not want to coach, but that just make them up their offer. Seems like he was sandbagging on purpose to get fired quickly.

Get the bag Monty!

This Monty stuff is pretty crazy. No buyout for Monty. He got $20M to not coach the Suns, now $78.5M from the Pistons. Almost a $100M and all he had to do is fake coach the Pistons for one season. He even told the Pistons he did not want to coach, but that just make them up their offer. Seems like he was sandbagging on purpose to get fired quickly.

Get the bag Monty!

He got the bag and went full Costanza. Big brain stuff. He broke the coaching market in the process... well maybe he reset the bar is a better way to put it.

He got the bag and went full Costanza. Big brain stuff. He broke the coaching market in the process... well maybe he reset the bar is a better way to put it.
Monty Williams contemplating his future

Monty: I like sports. I could do something [else] in sports.
Everyone: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
Monty: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
Everyone: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
Monty: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
Everyone: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
Monty: What about that?
Everyone: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
Monty: Well, that's really not fair.
Everyone: I know. Well, okay. Okay. What else do you like?
Monty: Movies. I like to watch movies.
Everyone: Yeah. Yeah.
Monty: Do they pay people to watch movies?
Everyone: Projectionists.
Monty: That's true.
Everyone: But you gotta know how to work the projector.
Monty: Right.
Everyone: And it's probably a union thing.
Monty: (scoffs) Those unions. (sighs) Okay. Sports, movies what about a talk show host?
Everyone: Talk show host. That's good.
Monty: I think I'd be good at that. I talk to people all the time. Someone even told me once they thought I'd be a good talk show host.
Everyone: Really?
Monty: Yeah. A couple of people. I don't get that, though. Where do you start?
Everyone: Well, that's where it gets tricky.
Monty: You can't just walk into a building and say "I wanna be a talk show host".
Everyone: I wouldn't think so.
Monty: It's all politics.
Everyone: All right, okay. Sports, movies, talk show host. What else?

Monty Williams contemplating his future

Monty: I like sports. I could do something [else] in sports.
Everyone: Uh-huh. Uh-huh. In what capacity?
Monty: You know, like the general manager of a baseball team or something.
Everyone: Yeah. Well, that - that could be tough to get.
Monty: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
Everyone: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
Monty: What about that?
Everyone: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
Monty: Well, that's really not fair.
Everyone: I know. Well, okay. Okay. What else do you like?
Monty: Movies. I like to watch movies.
Everyone: Yeah. Yeah.
Monty: Do they pay people to watch movies?
Everyone: Projectionists.
Monty: That's true.
Everyone: But you gotta know how to work the projector.
Monty: Right.
Everyone: And it's probably a union thing.
Monty: (scoffs) Those unions. (sighs) Okay. Sports, movies what about a talk show host?
Everyone: Talk show host. That's good.
Monty: I think I'd be good at that. I talk to people all the time. Someone even told me once they thought I'd be a good talk show host.
Everyone: Really?
Monty: Yeah. A couple of people. I don't get that, though. Where do you start?
Everyone: Well, that's where it gets tricky.
Monty: You can't just walk into a building and say "I wanna be a talk show host".
Everyone: I wouldn't think so.
Monty: It's all politics.
Everyone: All right, okay. Sports, movies, talk show host. What else?
Damn I love Seinfeld.

This is also funny. SAC tried hurt Siakam's trade value by saying bad things about him. He got wind of it and refused to be traded there lol.

View: https://x.com/esidery/status/1803845183840108942

Siakham is the guy that if we really are big game hunting right now... why wouldn't we have put in an offer there? Contract status I understand but that will likely be an issue with whatever "star" we get. 2 bad picks in a meh draft and a future first is as low as things get for "stars". I know they got Brown but one of the picks turned into KO and Ochai... so it wasn't an amazing pick.

Anyhow... Kangz gonna Kang. I think they end up getting really Kangzy this offseason so I'd keep em on speed dial.

Siakham is the guy that if we really are big game hunting right now... why wouldn't we have put in an offer there? Contract status I understand but that will likely be an issue with whatever "star" we get. 2 bad picks in a meh draft and a future first is as low as things get for "stars". I know they got Brown but one of the picks turned into KO and Ochai... so it wasn't an amazing pick.

Anyhow... Kangz gonna Kang. I think they end up getting really Kangzy this offseason so I'd keep em on speed dial.

I'd say we didn't put an offer in because we're not big game hunting and that was a misquote the local media decided to misquote and run with lol.

I'd say we didn't put an offer in because we're not big game hunting and that was a misquote the local media decided to misquote and run with lol.
Which is why I kind of prefaced it how I did. Like this is exhibit A imo.

Possibly, but I don't think someone shells out 3.5 billion for something and cedes total control like that. Especially people who can buy something for 3.5 billion. Their lawyers are going to be as good or better than Cuban's. I think they let him finish out the year then start to put their own stamp on things. If Cuban fits that he stays. If not. . .

I mean if you are still going to let Cuban still have total control for a long time, it would have been cheaper just to purchase a luxury suite.
I'm old enough to remember arguing with the rest of Jazzfanz that Cuban would be gone after a year. Everyone told me that was silly. . .

Which is why I kind of prefaced it how I did. Like this is exhibit A imo.

I mean, they will justify any move/non move with a the usual. If we passed on Siakam, he didn't move the needle. But when we trade for someone worse than Siakam, it's being opportunistic. When the GM/FO says something it's meaningless. Double meaningless when the media blatantly misquotes them. Looking at you @andylarsen .

I mean, they will justify any move/non move with a the usual. If we passed on Siakam, he didn't move the needle. But when we trade for someone worse than Siakam, it's being opportunistic. When the GM/FO says something it's meaningless. Double meaningless when the media blatantly misquotes them. Looking at you @andylarsen .
Right... I'm presenting this to the Jazzfanz as some evidence that you shouldn't believe everything you hear from the front office or coming from the front office through the media. We are on the same page here. I think there are many that still take some of this at face value and don't evaluate actual actions.

Back