The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colton, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    This might be the most insightful short essay on impeachment, and it's inherent flaws, and flaws born of partisanship, that I have ever read. Would that I could be this concise and on point. Yes, it's anti-Trump, which might encourage my pro-Trump friends to ignore it, but I do believe we can all gain from the insights this essay provides. Essentially, it's about what partisanship has rendered. I found it very clarifying, and am sharing it for that reason.

https://amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/606208/

2. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Thank you!

3. idestroyedthetoilet

idestroyedthetoilet Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2018
    That's a republican line and it's not very true in my experience. Environmental regulations get proposed and amended, it's a constant, ongoing process. Trial and error, unforeseen issues with implementation and practicality, lead to changes which are being called Trump relaxations. Backing a little bit off a future rule that tightens standards is still tightened standards, just not quite as tight as initially proposed. Generally speaking, there is usually solid justification for doing so, otherwise the industry challenges wouldn't have any merit and fall flat.

I took a quick look at this list: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html

A lot of the stuff on there is fluff, to say the least. I'm tongue tied on what I can share on a public forum but if you want a private conversation I could go into a bit more detail on the regulations I am directly involved with. I've provided some insight in the past on a few, but those posts seem to go unnoticed. I see specifically where some of these are used politically to claim loosened regulations where the opposite is true.

4. One Brow

One Brow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    I appreciate your point of view, and would not ask you to divulge private information to an internet stranger. Thank you.

5. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    So this happened today.

Apparently he's learned he can even brag about his ongoing extortions, with no ramifications. I bet Sen Collins is troubled, though.

6. colton

colton All Around Nice Guy Staff Member

May 25, 2010

The Thriller likes this.
  7. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    fishonjazz likes this.
  8. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015

9. silesian

silesian Well-Known Member

May 30, 2010
    Jazzyfresh thinks that no guilty person has ever gotten away with a crime. Apparently, smile.

There are logic classes online, FYI

Gameface likes this.
  10. silesian

May 30, 2010
    I used to think the Democrats were the ones who would look for every opportunity to be offended under false pretenses.

11. JazzyFresh

JazzyFresh Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah that's why I spent the entire night talking about crimes other presidents have gotten away with. "bUT TwUmp heRr mY SoCiAwist feewINgs".

Derp

12. JazzyFresh

Feb 19, 2015
    And I've never believed you're a conservative. Now you're literally sticking up for Pelosi. I'll leave you alone about it if you find me two fiscal conservative post by you in the last month. Personally I don't see it, I see a guy who will change his own beliefs and personal convictions in a second as long as it's anti-Trump. Pro Pelosi though.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  13. Joe Bagadonuts

Joe Bagadonuts Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    I'm happy to hear that their is at least the possibility of an optimistic outcome in your view. To me, in the pre-Trump world, we were already well into the post-truth era. It's just that the left (which had seized control of the narrative especially through media and academia) was successfully running roughshod over all conservative thought. A very relevant and ironic example is how effectively they neutralized Mitt Romney. I saw him as a very effective leader (probably partially because I was somewhat involved in the Olympic situation) and I also saw him as a polite and honest man (which I am still convinced that he is), but in the campaign against Obama he sadly proved to conservatives that nice guys finish last. He was neutered by the mud that was slung at him, but even moreso by his decision to take the high road in response. That path destroyed him because it gave his opposition the space to turn him into an archaic, sexist, out-of-touch fossil in the eyes of critical voters. It is so fitting that Romney and Trump's pathways have now become so interwoven. Romney's timid approach to liberal retoric (as well as McCain and Bush's legacy of the same) invited the bull into the china shop.

The biggest divide of all is that many conservatives are happy that so much liberal china is now being broken. It should not surprise anyone who has paid close attention to liberal versus conservative views that the two groups hate one another's taste in china.

JazzyFresh likes this.
  14. Joe Bagadonuts

Aug 23, 2010
    I can see how this narrative caught hold on the left at the time, but so far this has played out in very much the opposite way that you are suggesting.

fishonjazz likes this.
  15. JazzyFresh

Feb 19, 2015

But just because Trump said it its terrible lol

16. Joe Bagadonuts

Aug 23, 2010
    I think it was a bad choice on the author's part to point out only partisanship on the right. It's also interesting to me that he claims that partisanship is this big new problem, and then blames partisanship as the reason that the method for selecting the senate had to be changed early last century. That part seems to be poorly thought out.

The part about how terrible Trump has been since the impeachment is where we are going to really disagree. In particular, I see the whole Stone thing as rampant partisanship from the left. His sentencing recommendation was incredibly out of touch and out of proportion to his "crime." The reason the left hates him so badly is because of his connection to Trump, not because has ever done anything that merits spending nearly a decade in prison. I think the anti-Trump crowd is as far off on this issue as they could possibly be (as are the four attorneys). I do not see them begging for sentences (or even trials) of the many, many other characters who we could easily convict for the same as Stone or worse. It is such an absolute joke how that man has been treated. In fact, the claim is so egregious that I'm not even going to read beyond that part of the article. Instead, I'm going on vacation.

17. One Brow

One Brow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    When you see the prosecutors of the DOJ (and the agents of the FBI) as "the left", that's really way, way out there.

The Thriller and Gameface like this.
  18. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Well, the sentencing guidelines for the crimes that he committed were 7-9 years. Doesn't matter what you think; those are the guidelines. I think, esp. in the case of witness intimidation, prosecutors really frown on that one. I suspect the reason the 4 prosecutors walked away is because they had recommended the standard sentencing guidelines, and were disgusted by the interference. I'd like to think I'd walk away too, if I had done things by the book, and then Trump steps in, calling the guideline sentence way out of bounds. Then, he has the classless gall to tell the prosecutors to "go back to school". Enjoy your vacation, although I think, where Trump is concerned, you took a vacation from reality long ago.....

19. fishonjazz

fishonjazz Well-Known Member Contributor 2019 Award Winner 2018 Award Winner

Nov 4, 2010
    If you are critical of trump, or critical of anyone with any connection in any way to Trump, then you are "The Left"

That's were we are now. Trumpism truly is a cult.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Stars Fan and colton like this.
  20. silesian

May 30, 2010
    Are you Nancy Pelosi? Because my comment was about you, not her. You can believe whatever you like about my politics, I don't care, you are not tethered to reality at all. Call me a Nazi, a Commie, whatever.....

You are living in your own little alternative universe and if I knew you I might worry about your mental health.