The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colton, Jul 16, 2019.

1. latin jazz

latin jazz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Here in Mexico we are screwed. No restrictions on flights, no social distancing, nothing, nada. For those curious, here is how the president is responding:

2. Political Jazz Fan

Political Jazz Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2019

3. RandyForRubio

RandyForRubio Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2015
    Aren't the favela gangs enforcing a curfew now? Thought I read that somewhere.

4. latin jazz

latin jazz Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Maybe in Brazil?

There is no curfew here. Everything looks normal. Streets are full of people (although the Municipality has forbidden major gatherings like concerts, cinemas, etc). Public transport is working as usual.

Due to the lack of action, everything is self-imposed at this point. Some businesses have moved into online retailing, private firms into remote working. But Mexico City is a pretty hectic and unequal city, in which millions rely on day-to day income. A lockdown is pretty unlikely to be enforced.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  5. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019

6. Red

Red Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Warning. Stupidly alert!

Or....taking stupid where stupid has never been...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Wes Mantooth likes this.
  7. idestroyedthetoilet

idestroyedthetoilet Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2018
    As obnoxious as the democrats are right now, and somebody needs to light Nanci's weeve on fire, they have a day or two to mash this out. This bill is ****ing massive, double the astronomical $1 trillion, that was much larger than initial numbers being thrown out. It's ****ing huge. Everybody got what they asked for when they came to the table. An extra $600/wk in unemployment benefits on top of what laid off workers will get from their state. That's big relief. $1,200 for every adult and more for dependents, for everyone, independent of need. Massive. $500 or whatever billion for corporations.

We are barely I to the beginning stage of economic collapse. Jobless claims were just 281,000 or thereabouts in the last report. Their squabbling and bickering for a few days over Pelosi's laundry list of pork isn't going to escalate anything.

One Brow, Stars Fan and fishonjazz like this.
  8. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  9. One Brow

One Brow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2010
    Yeah, that's just stupid. The real world does not work that way.

10. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019

11. idestroyedthetoilet

Apr 20, 2018
    Interested to find out what is in this stimulus package for cruise lines. Was going to post on how it's asinine to give them any assistance but turns out there are a couple articles on it:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...should-be-at-the-end-of-the-bailout-line/amp/

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/23/...ry-bailout-trump-coronavirus-us-companies-tax

Tl/dr the major cruise lines are not US corporations, pay no federal tax, and skirt labor laws by operating in international waters, don't employ many Americans, and pay slave wages.

My input: Carnival made about $3 billion net income last year, and over 5 billion in positive cash flow by my calculation. They have little cash relative to their operating budget, just $500 million, but they have enormous shareholder equity - $25 billion, which is net of assets and what they owe. **** em. Give them to their creditors if they can't work something out. They aren't going away if they get reorganized through bankruptcy. What are the bankers going to do, sink the ships or transform them into oil tankers?

And where the hell is Chuck Schumer when he has a perfectly good example to use with his slush fund criticism? Absent. He doesnt really give a rat's *** y'all, don't be duped. Congress threw in the kitchen sink and all this hammering and yammering was nothing more than political theatre.

12. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  13. Joe Bagadonuts

Joe Bagadonuts Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Only you can decide whether your quest to inform the world of what you see as the president's crimes and shortcomings is worth the cost of lifetime friendships. It wouldn't be for me. I hope that you and your friend can come to some sort of understanding. In my life there are people I deal with, including good friends, who see the world very differently than I do politically. I have a lifelong friend, for instance (he's one of my five best friends in the world), who starts railing on the terrors of Trump and the horrors of the Republican party every time we get together. I let him vent and I completely avoid engaging at all until he's done. He says things that I could not possibly disagree with more, but I simply ignore the comments because our friendship is important to me. He knows that I am conservative and maybe that's why he does this... but I will not engage in political debate with him. When he brings up things he has learned from Rachel Maddow (one of the most hateful humans on this planet IMO) I secretly wish that he would stop allowing MSNBC to poison his mind. And when he is done we enjoy our friendship (whether skiing, golfing, playing ping pong or whatever) and leave the politics entirely out of it. We've been able to continue this way ever since he became highly politically opinionated which was probably about a decade ago. I hope we can continue for the rest of our lives.

Political Jazz Fan likes this.
  14. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    I’m assuming you mean two weeks ago.

There were 3.2 million unemployment claims last week.

15. Political Jazz Fan

Nov 21, 2019
    My Berkeley-schooled, PhD sister and I just do not talk politics. It has been much friendlier that way.

fishonjazz likes this.
  16. idestroyedthetoilet

Apr 20, 2018
    Claims came out today.

17. Wes Mantooth

Jul 14, 2015
    They released last week’s numbers today. Not sure what’s difficult to understand about that.

18. idestroyedthetoilet

Apr 20, 2018
    I wrote that on Teusday so the last report obviously did not refer to today's report.

19. Wes Mantooth

Jul 14, 2015
    You wrote that today in response to what I had said.

20. idestroyedthetoilet

Apr 20, 2018
    Somebody explain to me where ******* is confused. I wrote Teusday that the last ****ing report, the one that came out last ****ing thursday, was a 281,000 print. Explain it to him in easier terms please.