What's new

The official "let's impeach Trump" thread

Given everything we’ve seen the last few years, it does seem like there would be very few undecideds at this point. It also seems likely to me that I’m the only one on this board that believes Biden will wipe the stage with Trump’s sorry ***. But, a lot will depend on the moderators too. I watched Biden’s address on the coronavirus; I don’t think he is as nearly bad as so many have concluded from his flubs.

I too think Biden would destroy Trump in a debate. But when has Trump ever won a debate? Those who like bullies and gaslighting will always find Trump appealing. There doesn't seem to be a big market for those types right now. Especially with the pandemic raging.

People seem to forget how incoherent Trump is:

Thought this was an interesting article. Trump is definitely playing defense in 2020 wherein 2016, he was offense and moving the ball efficiently downfield (even if you disagreed with the way he was doing it).

It's always easier to campaign if you're the challenger. He's now the incumbent and the country is going all to hell. Hard to make a case for another term when you've sucked.

I too think Biden would destroy Trump in a debate. But when has Trump ever won a debate? Those who like bullies and gaslighting will always find Trump appealing. There doesn't seem to be a big market for those types right now. Especially with the pandemic raging.

People seem to forget how incoherent Trump is:

And the reality is that 2016 was a different race. Two hugely unpopular candidates, one being the Washington insider, one the outsider. HRC had a record, Trump didn't. Even if you didn't like him or his message, his political book was open and unwritten as he could talk about what he would do vs. had done.

That luxury doesn't exist this year - he's had 3.5 years of a presidency and that book is being filled out. People just don't like what they're reading.

And the reality is that 2016 was a different race. Two hugely unpopular candidates, one being the Washington insider, one the outsider. HRC had a record, Trump didn't. Even if you didn't like him or his message, his political book was open and unwritten as he could talk about what he would do vs. had done.

That luxury doesn't exist this year - he's had 3.5 years of a presidency and that book is being filled out. People just don't like what they're reading.

I like this attitude. Thank you.

Do you think camp Biden will be bright enough to spin it like that effectively enough to oust 'Never Democrat' and 'Only GOP' republicans?

I like this attitude. Thank you.

Do you think camp Biden will be bright enough to spin it like that effectively enough to oust 'Never Democrat' and 'Only GOP' republicans?

I think we've already seen their mission statement where they will avoid shoehorning or labeling anyone. Whether or not you really believe the 'soul' of the nation is at risk, it's a pretty sound statement of inclusiveness. They've made pretty clear that their referendum will always be about Trump.

At this point, if I were in Biden's camp, I wouldn't do anything different right now from what they're doing. Keep him in the basement with some interviews and statements and out of the spotlight. Absorb some newscycles for his VP pick, but let Trump continue to be his own worst enemy through inflammatory tweets and a call to inaction. Drain the clock and take high percentage shots.

There's not a lot of gamechanging plays left to call out there if you're Trump. Outside of a combo-breaker like Biden falling into a coma, the shadow of Covid will continue to loom and the economy will continue to creep back slowly. Every day where Trump forces turnovers such as calling out Bubba Wallace to apologize for... something, is another lost opportunity. And it's why Biden will continue to lurk in the shadows because the winning move is to simply not play at all.

Trump lost the election in March. Had the government response to Covid mirrored other countries, we'd have a much closer race. As it were, Biden has a number of winning scenarios with the electoral map. Trump doesn't have that luxury.

I’m sadly terrified that Trump will destroy Biden in the debates. Listen, the former is a ****ing moron but he will revert to his ******** tactics, which is why a ton of idiots liked him in the first place, and people will remember why they liked him and voted for him, and see Biden fumbling for his words. They’ll think how there’s no way they could vote for Biden at such an advanced age with obvious signs of dementia. And go vote for Trump who will make promises that they’ll buy.
Fwiw what some people are claiming to be signs of dementia in Biden are likely just signs of stuttering. I haven't seen anything from him to convince me otherwise.

The leftist Communist/Marxism circle jerk in this thread is strong.

Gotta give it to the Dems and the media, they have you guys wrapped around their fingers. Dance little puppets, dance!
At least the act of dancing promotes an active, healthy lifestyle and therefore makes us essentially immune to the worst of coronavirus.

Given everything we’ve seen the last few years, it does seem like there would be very few undecideds at this point. It also seems likely to me that I’m the only one on this board that believes Biden will wipe the stage with Trump’s sorry ***. But, a lot will depend on the moderators too. I watched Biden’s address on the coronavirus; I don’t think he is as nearly bad as so many have concluded from his flubs.

Unfortunately the "winner" is determined by people who get all worked about things like "binders full of women". Things taken out of context, soundbites, blurbs, snarky comments, insults, all carry far more weight than the meat of the arguments. In this Trump excels. He is a master of ignoring reality and using hyperbole and quips to hamstring his opponents. He "won" a lot of the debates last year while basically saying nothing, other than to point out how much win he has and how much anyone else sucks for any of a million made-up reasons. I think Joe will not be able to stand toe-to-toe with a jr. high-schooler who is adept at slinging burns. He will be out of his depth the lower Trump sinks. No matter what it will be an ugly affair.

Unfortunately the "winner" is determined by people who get all worked about things like "binders full of women". Things taken out of context, soundbites, blurbs, snarky comments, insults, all carry far more weight than the meat of the arguments. In this Trump excels. He is a master of ignoring reality and using hyperbole and quips to hamstring his opponents. He "won" a lot of the debates last year while basically saying nothing, other than to point out how much win he has and how much anyone else sucks for any of a million made-up reasons. I think Joe will not be able to stand toe-to-toe with a jr. high-schooler who is adept at slinging burns. He will be out of his depth the lower Trump sinks. No matter what it will be an ugly affair.

Cool. Well, you know yourself that it’s all about marketing, and the selling, of a president. It’s been this way for awhile, never more so since the advent of television. And these appeals will always be to the emotions, not to the intellect. Sure, Trump is likely to win the entertainment contest, debate as entertainment. And too much of the American electorate relate to an election predominantly from their emotions, not their intellect. Yes, people do consider where they themselves stand on issues, and which candidate best reflects their own position. But, in Trump, we have Reality TV writ large in the form of the very first Reality TV president. Celebrity culture produced the first celebrity tv president. And he is good at his act, low brow though it is. Sadly, very sadly I think, he understands the painful truth that large swaths of our electorate are flat out low brow citizens.

But, really my argument was this: in Biden, Americans will see someone who actually understands the issues, how government works, what are the core values and representations of American foreign policy, etc. The audience will not be 100% people looking to be swayed by a clown attacking elites. The public will at least see how far short in requisite qualifications Trump really is. Despite his own flaws, Biden can talk about the issues intelligently. Trump is so non curious as a president, he apparently takes his briefings in something like a Sunday comics version. And that is going to show, if the moderators don’t lob cupcake questions his way.

Now, if we are at the stage in our history that the irrational and emotional needs of an electorate ignorant over what constitutes good government is such that the electorate chooses Trump anyway for a second term, than America deserves what it gets I guess.

But, yes, it is likely Trump will perform. I do not believe he will physically walk over to Biden and loom over him, as he did to Hillary. And, I think we may be in for a surprise, because I think Biden is well capable of putting that clown on the spot. I think Biden can actually make Trump look like a damn fool.

But they also allowed him to challenge the validity of the subpoena, which means he won't turn over his records for quite a while, if ever.

Slow your roll on that one. Putin literally just charged a regional governor with murder for winning an election he was supposed to lose.

I bet Putin at least came up with an excuse. Barr just 48 hrs ago was talking about how “righteous” Stone’s prosecution was... and then he went off to try to kill other investigations into Donald.

The fundamental transformation of america tea baggers claimed would happen underObama is actually happening now under Trump.