What's new

The Stretch 4 Discussion Thread

Gobert's job in that series was to keep Steven Adams off the boards once the shot went up. It sometimes took 3 Jazz players to box out Adams and secure the rebound. It was a team-rebounding effort.
The Jazz killed OKC on the boards. The Jazz held them to 7% below their season average on offensive rebounding percentage and 2% below their defensive rebounding percentage. And again, OKC was the league leader in regular season offensive rebounding percentage by 2%.

The Jazz killed OKC on the boards. The Jazz held them to 7% below their season average on offensive rebounding percentage and 2% below their defensive rebounding percentage. And again, OKC was the league leader in regular season offensive rebounding percentage by 2%.
And the Jazz won the series because of it. But who cares if the Jazz play well? I want muh box score.

I think the box score was pretty clearly in favor of the Jazz on the boards too. I think it's just a case of the negative plays sticking in people's minds.

No question. Especially that last possession og game 6 where they came up with something like 6 offensive rebounds in the final minute. That was nuts!

I think the box score was pretty clearly in favor of the Jazz on the boards too. I think it's just a case of the negative plays sticking in people's minds.
OKC had 44 boards vs Utah having 46.8 boards per game for the series. The rebounding percentages were about the same split.

OKC did rebound at a lower percentage in this series than they did in regular season 48.4 vs 51.7. The Jazz were basically the same in this series as they were in the regular season though. Gobert himself had a slightly lower rebounding percentage than he did in the regular season against OKC. But not much of a difference 18.2 vs 18.6. Goberts defensive rebounding percentage was better vs OKC than it was in the regular season but his offensive rebounding percentage went down though.

Steven Adams contested rebounding numbers went down from the regular season to vs the Jazz.

Ultimately I think rebounding numbers are kind of pointless for individuals since rebounding should be a team thing. A good example is Favors who works very hard to clear space which does not always result in him getting the board. Gobert is a great rebounder but he does rely on his height too much. Gobert is not great at putting his body on guys. But its not just him. The other players dont do a good job of blocking out Goberts guy when he contests shots. Gobert and the guards were better in the playoffs but I think people pay more attention and noticed when it was not happening more in the playoffs. It was especially noticeable in our losses like game 1 against OKC where Adams had 4 offensive rebounds against Gobert. But the Jazz are one of the best defensive rebounding teams in the NBA and our scheme is not to go for offensive boards except for 1 guy who is near the rim but we still get a decent amount of them because Gobert has such great length.

Jae Crowder is just a limited NBA player. I hope no one is actually expecting a big leap from him next year.

This is what I was trying to say... there is a disconnect on how we talk about Jae versus his actual numbers.
I agree with this. I think most people are hoping that we can reign him in a bit and fix some of his flaws with the developmental staff. If not, and if there is another option at 4 he'll be a decent trade piece over the next couple years if nothing else. He's also shown that he can play in some really effective lineups.

2019? Screw that, let’s get him now! Him and Porter.

That's fine and all but what are you giving up to get him. Gonna take more than a 2nd... he is their most cost effective piece.

I'd rather go after guys that are available at or around the MLE and go after FA next year when we have space.

There’s a few guys like Kawhi that most people will immediately dismiss as not worth talking about due to the fact that we don’t have the assets necessary to acquire said player. I think that would be a mistake.

Getting a 3rd team involved in a discussion and possibly being willing to absorb a really bad contract in the process can do wonders sometimes.

With the Millers, I think we’ve seen that when this team nears legit contention they’re willing to do the spending necessary to get this squad over the hump.
Leonard wants out of San Antonio because he wants in a bigger market and doesn't want a structured offense like what Pop or Snyder run. He's not signing with Utah and utah isn't trading and giving assets for a rental. No point in discussing him.