What's new

The Ultimate Best Elite World-Class Jazz Off-Season Guide

I don't hate this at all. It's risky but maybe a prudent risk.

Not sure I trust Bradly as backup C yet. And awfully thin/small at C if Gobert has any injuries. Might want to try to put Kevon Looney into the mix somehow. Great defensive 4/5 option despite the lack of hops/explosiveness. But probably gives very little offensively unless he's hiding something with all that firepower on the Warriors.
And you could keep Udoh I guess. I cut him just because I want to see Bradley play because I like his potential. If I was being a bit more logical I would probably say Utah keeps Udoh. I did leave an open roster spot as under this plan the roster is only at 14 I believe.

We have to give ourselves the opportunity in 2019, no ifs, no buts.

Beleive in the FO.
Beleive in the culture.
Beleive in Quin.
Beleive in Rudy.
Beleive in SpidaMitchell.

I beleive thats enough to attract an Allstar quality FA.
That's cool and all, but it's Utah, let's not be naive.

Jabari Parker is potentially an All-Star quality player. You could say all that "believe" BS about Parker in Utah too. He is also a better fit than a lot of the realistic upper tier players Utah could attract. Let's be real honest, Utah is looking at paying upwards of 26-30 million to get Tobias Harris or Khris Middleton in 2019 if they go the cap-space route. Is that really that much more attractive than Parker at 18 million with a team option in his 3rd year?

17 million a year is a discount....

He plays like he did January and on and he is looking at 20 million a year potentially.

You mean if he plays like he did in almost the best month of his career?

He is a limited player... in one of the most saturated positions. I’d be surprised if another team offers him 15M on the open market... not to mention injury risk. If he gets 20 and plays into it then so be it, but I doubt he wants to go elsewhere... so we’d still get the first crack at him.

Just to think, I've heard people say you have the most basketball knowledge on here. Lol

I mean, I don't disagree with all of your thoughts, but a lot of them. The Jazz are likely to make zero of these moves outside of resigning Exum and Rubio - which I'm fine with.

He is a limited player... in one of the most saturated positions. I’d be surprised if another team offers him 15M on the open market... not to mention injury risk. If he gets 20 and plays into it then so be it, but I doubt he wants to go elsewhere... so we’d still get the first crack at him.
January and on is more than one month....

Just to think, I've heard people say you have the most basketball knowledge on here. Lol

I mean, I don't disagree with all of your thoughts, but a lot of them. The Jazz are likely to make zero of these moves outside of resigning Exum and Rubio - which I'm fine with.
Well I mean, no **** the Jazz arent likely to make most of the moves. There are a ton of moves they can make, so the odds of them making these specific ones are slim.

That's cool and all, but it's Utah, let's not be naive.

Jabari Parker is potentially an All-Star quality player. You could say all that "believe" BS about Parker in Utah too. He is also a better fit than a lot of the realistic upper tier players Utah could attract. Let's be real honest, Utah is looking at paying upwards of 26-30 million to get Tobias Harris or Khris Middleton in 2019 if they go the cap-space route. Is that really that much more attractive than Parker at 18 million with a team option in his 3rd year?

#VictimMentality

The league has changed. Guys want to win, compete for chips, get paid and put up numbers. Utah offers a unique opportunity as we need a #1/#2 guy who would get 15-20 shots a game.
Everything else is in place: Defense, rim protector, depth, game plan.

I'm usually tough on Cy, rightfully so many times, but not all of this is bad.

I really like the following ideas:
- Seth Curry is definitely worth a conversation.
- Jerami Grant would be great. I almost like him without worrying about Parker if we go PF by committee. He is improving his 3 pointer every year.
- Extending Rubio is smart, but not that high a number.
- I like trades. Giving Favors good money and sending him to a team he wants would be good by him. I'd like that,

Things I dont like:

- Letting Thabo, Jerekbo and Udoh just walk. Mitchell and fans like those guys. Trading them for an improvement makes sense. Just dumping them and hoping to improve might be frowned upon.
- Jabari is a huge ? I'm only getting on board with Jabari if our FO makes it happen. Until that day, I'm hands off on Jabari.

Side note: Grant and Tolliver aren't signing with us if they arent gonna play. So adding Tolliver, Grant AND Jabari makes zero sense.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Like I said, if they do the Jabari thing the Rubio extension is much less of a need but something I would do because I believe he is going to play like he did in 2018 for the entire season.

But if they dont and they go the cap-space in 2019 route, then extending Rubio is an actual must. Even if they extend Exum on a team friendly deal like I had in my scenario, they still have to get Rubio on an extension below his cap-hold to have max room in 2019.

I'm usually tough on Cy, rightfully so many times, but not all of this is bad.

I really like the following ideas:
- Seth Curry is definitely worth a conversation.
- Jerami Grant would be great. I almost like him without worrying about Parker if we go PF by committee. He is improving his 3 pointer every year.
- Extending Rubio is smart, but not that high a number.
- I like trades. Giving Favors good money and sending him to a team he wants would be good by him. I'd like that,

Things I dont like:

- Letting Thabo, Jerekbo and Udoh just walk. Mitchell and fans like those guys. Trading them for an improvement makes sense. Just dumping them and hoping to improve might be frowned upon.
- Jabari is a huge ? I'm only getting on board with Jabari if our FO makes it happen. Until that day, I'm hands off on Jabari.

Side note: Grant and Tolliver aren't signing with us if they arent gonna play. So adding Tolliver, Grant AND Jabari makes zero sense.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app
I mean, you arent dumping them for nothing. You are dumping them to free up roster spots for better players. Thabo is a 34 year old man who just had the worst MCL injury you can get.

January and on is more than one month....

He’s done this before... I’m all good on extensions but not gonna box myself in unless I get a discount... a real discount. What if he has another ACL injury? I say 17M is closer to the most he could reasonably hope for in FA than it is to a discount.

I would also point out these two things to the cap-space in 2019 crowd:

The two guys a lot of people here talk about, Middleton and Harris, are both on desirable teams.

Harris plays in LA. It's going to be hard to get him out of that market from a rich owner.

Middleton plays in a small market, but he plays w/ Giannis, who is one of the most talented young players in the NBA. Also, if the Bucks want to move off Jabari, either with Utah or some other team, that signals they are going to invest heavily in Middleton.

I would also point out these two things to the cap-space in 2019 crowd:

The two guys a lot of people here talk about, Middleton and Harris, are both on desirable teams.

Harris plays in LA. It's going to be hard to get him out of that market from a rich owner.

Middleton plays in a small market, but he plays w/ Giannis, who is one of the most talented young players in the NBA. Also, if the Bucks want to move off Jabari, either with Utah or some other team, that signals they are going to invest heavily in Middleton.

Wtf talking about Middleton and Harris???

We talking BIG fish!!

Also, that is an elite RFA class and we need the flexibility to throw Otto Porter type deals around. They will most certainly fail but they could put their current team in a bind.

Get Otto Porter.
Get Aminu.
Get Patrick Beverly.
Do this without losing anyone.
Win the next three championships.

Rubio / Beverley
Mitchell / Exum / Royce
Porter / Ingles / Thabo
Aminu / Crowder / Jerebko
Gobert / Udoh

I like these idea. Pretty good off season.

The Jabari hate around here is so weird. It really seems like its an anti mormon thing or something. I dont get it.

I can understand apprehension about his knee, but the hate was there long before he got hurt so I dont think its all that. If you dont think he is a good basketball player you really dont know what you are talking about. You need to go watch him play with an open mind and let go of your biases.

Jabari is a certified alpha dog player. He was headed to be a top15 player easily before those knee injuries.

Id 100% take that gamble that Cy suggested.

I alos still think you guys need to come around to Mario Hezonja. Who isnt on Jabaris level, but is going to be a good pick uo

Wtf talking about Middleton and Harris???

We talking BIG fish!!

Also, that is an elite RFA class and we need the flexibility to throw Otto Porter type deals around. They will most certainly fail but they could put their current team in a bind.
It's not that elite, especially if Thompson agrees to an extension which it seems 90% likely he will do.

The biggest name will be Leonard and he isnt coming to Utah. Other than that, and the yearly Lebron sweepstakes the Jazz have no chance in, it's not much besides RFA's who will be matched unless you drastically overpay.

Maybe the Jazz have a shot at Jimmy Butler? But I doubt it (I'm also not a fan of Butler and his persona).

I like these idea. Pretty good off season.

The Jabari hate around here is so weird. It really seems like its an anti mormon thing or something. I dont get it.

I can understand apprehension about his knee, but the hate was there long before he got hurt so I dont think its all that. If you dont think he is a good basketball player you really dont know what you are talking about. You need to go watch him play with an open mind and let go of your biases.

Jabari is a certified alpha dog player. He was headed to be a top15 player easily before those knee injuries.

Id 100% take that gamble that Cy suggested.

I alos still think you guys need to come around to Mario Hezonja. Who isnt on Jabaris level, but is going to be a good pick uo

Neg.

Dude cant play defense, couldnt get minutes in the playoffs, has had 2 ACLs and you wanna bring up religion??

Neg so hard. Dumb ****.

I don't know about that. What I find funny is that a bunch of people talk about Jabari being a distraction because he's Mormon, or at least implying that people really want him because he's Mormon, but if this board is any indication of Jazz fans in general, on here you have most of the Mormon people who are fairly lukewarm on Jabari to outright not wanting him, then you have a bunch of non-Mormons pimping him out to everyone else.