What's new

The Ultimate Best Elite World-Class Jazz Off-Season Guide

Exum wouldn't want to do a long term deal here because of Snyder. And I think if he doesn't get a decent offer somewhere else, then he takes the qualifying offer so that he's free to go to team he pleases the next year.

Exum wouldn't want to do a long term deal here because of Snyder. And I think if he doesn't get a decent offer somewhere else, then he takes the qualifying offer so that he's free to go to team he pleases the next year.
You mean the coach he speaks highly of? Snyder also praises Exum and talks about how he pushes Exum and works with him more than any other player on the team.

Last edited:
I'm shocked at the Jabari hate on here. He's had injuries and a really terrible coach in Milwaukee. The dude has a ceiling of one of the top offensive players in the NBA. He could get hurt again, but his ceiling is pretty much what Steph Curry's was after his first few years in the league - one of the top offensive players in the NBA on a less than market value contract. Or, he hurts your team because he gets hurt. I don't think there's a question that he can play. If you're going to win a championship, thats the kind of risk you have to take.

I'm shocked at the Jabari hate on here. He's had injuries and a really terrible coach in Milwaukee. The dude has a ceiling of one of the top offensive players in the NBA. He could get hurt again, but his ceiling is pretty much what Steph Curry's was after his first few years in the league - one of the top offensive players in the NBA on a less than market value contract. Or, he hurts your team because he gets hurt. I don't think there's a question that he can play. If you're going to win a championship, thats the kind of risk you have to take.

What? He has MVP upside like Steph.

If he’s healthy he can be modern Glenn Robinson... very useful but between defense and injuries I’m not sure he ever gets to realize his potential. Maybe he’s a less ball hoggy Carmelo, but I don’t think he’s a top 15-20 offensive player... maybe top 30... he has enough tools to be an effective defender but has never shown the desire at all.

It isn’t hate I just don’t think this is the guy you go all in on at this point. I’d rather someone else gamble or have the Bucks re-sign him and we will take their other players in the aftermath.

That's great... I just am not sure he is made for the rigors of the NBA. Carries too much weight imo... he's explosive, but not always fluid.

I also think he gets more than Cy proposed... the number Cy gave for Jerami Grant is laughable... he gets twice that imo.

When evaluating Jabari I would do it assuming he gets 4/80 all fully guaranteed. Too many desperate teams still have space and will absolutely talk themselves into him.

Ill never understand this take that Jazzfanerz make all time.

Player A is not that good, but player A is going to get a big contract in free agency.

Its like talking out both sides of your mouth. Why would Jabari get a huge contract after two ACL surgeries and not being a good basketball player? To me its its just arguing for the sake of arguing and trying to come up with whatever you can why you dont want the player. Jabari sucks bros, but man is he going to get PAID!

I know its not just you Heros. You have been open more than others. But pretty much everyone anti-Jabari is making the same stupid point. Someone has to put an end to this faulty logic.

Player A is not that good, but player A is going to get a big contract in free agency.

Its like talking out both sides of your mouth. Why would Jabari get a huge contract after two ACL surgeries and not being a good basketball player? To me its its just arguing for the sake of arguing and trying to come up with whatever you can why you dont want the player. Jabari sucks bros, but man is he going to get PAID!

I know its not just you Heros. You have been open more than others. But pretty much everyone anti-Jabari is making the same stupid point. Someone has to put an end to this faulty logic.

It happens all the time though because it is not a perfectly efficient market. Crabbe, Turner, Mozgov, Deng. OP last year (will be fine but it is high). There are two restricted FAs that may be gettable... Parker is one. He will get paid more than he is worth (imo) because it only takes one team. One desperate team... BKN, Phx, Sacramento, Dallas...

Everyone should go back and watch some Jabari tape from last year. He is a really good player, and could very well be a star. Sure, there are risks associated with signing him, but that's why he has some gettability.
He has a lot of offensive skill and could ewell be a 20+ PPG scorer on good efficiency if he can stay healthy. He has some ok on-ball defense when he tries hard and is engaged. His team defense is about as bad as I've ever seen. IT all depends on whether Quin thinks he could fix that, and if the Jazz are comfortable with the injury history.

It happens all the time though because it is not a perfectly efficient market. Crabbe, Turner, Mozgov, Deng. OP last year (will be fine but it is high). There are two restricted FAs that may be gettable... Parker is one. He will get paid more than he is worth (imo) because it only takes one team. One desperate team... BKN, Phx, Sacramento, Dallas...

Its does happen from time to time. But most those particular contracts happened because the cap was rising and for some reason teams thought that meant sign bad contracts. It was more of an anomaly than the norm.

The point Im making is that everyone to some degree acknowledges that there is some potential for Jabari to hit. Nobody knows for sure. Its just weird to believe that he is going to get a nice pay day and at the same time say he isnt isnt worth it.

We are also talking about a player who was a highly touted and highly skilled blue chipper which makes the odds more likely he hits. Not Crabbe, Mozgov, etc.. Turner sort of was, but he busted a long time ago

So Atlanta, Chicago, BKN, Phoenix, and Sacramento can all offer Jabari around $20M or more by making a move or two. What are those teams doing with their cap space? All likely go after young FAs... so Gordon or Parker. 3/54 aint happening with Jabari. It will be 4/80 (at least). If Milwaukee matches they are in cap hell... if they let him walk for nothing they piss off Giannis.

If we want in it is likely a sign and trade 4/80 (or higher).

There just isn't value there imo.

What does Quin have to do with Exum not wanting a long term deal?
I think Str8line and myself were the first ones to really push Mitchell.

I didn't pay much attention to him as he seemed out of our range. Never expected a trade up that big to be honest

Its does happen from time to time. But most those particular contracts happened because the cap was rising and for some reason teams thought that meant sign bad contracts. It was more of an anomaly than the norm.

The point Im making is that everyone to some degree acknowledges that there is some potential for Jabari to hit. Nobody knows for sure. Its just weird to believe that he is going to get a nice pay day and at the same time say he isnt isnt worth it.

We are also talking about a player who was a highly touted and highly skilled blue chipper which makes the odds more likely he hits. Not Crabbe, Mozgov, etc.. Turner sort of was, but he busted a long time ago

I acknowledge there is a chance he hits... what I am saying is that someone will value him more than I do... and some teams are not desirable markets and making offers to RFA that are "overpays" is what they do to acquire talent. If the other teams match there is less money later.

Jabari has always been the answer. The Mormon Lebron would shine like Temple Square on the streets of Salt Lake City.

Now add our future statue Donovan Mitchell to the puzzle(who I didnt know existed until this year) and we have our first title boys....

Those two could team up and do some major damage offensively. Rudy backs up Parkers questionable defense.

Last edited:
Here is what the Jazz should try to do. I think most of this is within the realm of realistic outcomes.

1. Waive the trio of non-guaranteed vets who were signed this past off-season (Thabo/Jonas/Udoh). This will make sense with the other moves I will make.

2. Double sign and trade for Jabari Parker using Derrick Favors. Favors signs a 45 million dollar deal over 3 years and Parker signs a 54 million dollar deal over 3 years w/ a team option in the final year. Bucks really need a starting center and Favors gives them that while being more health reliable. Should be a good fit on the Bucks without being a premium price. This probably relies on their relationship being too frazzled with Parker to move on with him.

3. Re-sign Dante Exum for 20 million dollars over a 3 year deal, with the final year being a player option. Since the Jazz arent signing anyone using cap-space, they can have the upper-hand in negotiating with Dante as they can wait out his big cap hold. I think this is a good deal for Dante as it gives him a safety net of career earnings with the option to opt out after 2 years if he succeeds.

4. Extend Ricky Rubio with a 74 million dollar deal over 4 years starting in 2019. I expect Rubio to have a great year next year so I would want to lock him up to a fair deal now. With the Parker signing though, the need to extend Rubio becomes less so as the Jazz don't really benefit that much from lower his cap number on the 2019 free agency as they wouldnt have any real cap-space either way.

5. Sign Seth Curry using the bi-annual exception at 6 million over 2 years with a team option in the 2nd year. He was injured the entire year, but he played well the previous year for the Mavs. Offers high level shooting for a cheap price. Can play next to Exum in some 2nd unit lineups

6. Sign Jerami Grant using part of the mid-level exception at 12,600,000 over 3 years with the final year being a team option. I was really impressed by Grant in the OKC series. Great athlete with great length. I see him being a backup 4/5 and a potential ace in the sleeve against teams like Houston/GSW as a small ball 5. This is might be a bit of an overpay, but he is still fairly young and I think he will have a big market in the price range just below this.

7. Sign Anthony Tolliver using rest of mid-level exception for 8 million over 2 years w/ the final year being a team option. Replaces Jerebko as the situational stretch big. Similar weaknesses to Jerebko, but a much more dangerous shooter. Also a vet which is nice given how much younger the roster is getting with these moves.

8. Draft: Obviously the Jazz should draft BPA at the guard, wing or forward position, but personally I would place highest value on Jacob Evans or Elie Okobo with the first round pick. Drafting that late in the 2nd round is usually a crap shoot and have no real opinion on who should be taken without knowing who will fall that low, I will say Malik Newman just to say a name to put in the depth chart.

Depth Chart:

PG: Rubio/Exum/Newman
SG: Mitchell/O'Neale/Curry/Burks
SF: Ingles/Crowder/Evans
PF: Parker/Grant/Tolliver
C: Gobert/Bradley

Obviously the biggest question mark is Jabari's health, but if he stays healthy this is a potentially great team with a bright future and a lot of versatility.

Teams arent allowed cap room and exceptions so waiving those 3 would have to be step 7 I believe. Horrid idea regardless of the cap rules tho.

This is the year to build the asset base. I'd like to use our unguaranteed guys to swing a trade with Denver, Washington, or NO. Portland maybe if they are going to cut costs (they got deep pockets).

Denver - Faried and 2018 FRP (more likely 2019) for unguaranteeds. I'd also do Hernangomez and a swap of 21 for 14 to take on Faried.
Washington - Gortat and 2018 FRP (more likely 2019) for unguaranteeds.
Maybe we do our Boston Brooklyn trade that set us up for years by doing unguaranteeds for 2020 and 2022 unprotected picks of NO and Solomon Hill. They'd be dumb to do it, but that's part of being a great GM is knowing which teams are going to get dumb.
Detroit might be in this group too... who knows?

I'd also consider taking salary for young guys that may hit.

Then I'd sniff around bargain FAs that may be young. Jerami Grant is a great example. Get him on a good long term deal and he may be a big asset.

Sign and trade for Favs, one year deal, or let him walk... it is likely in a salary dump that we'd be getting a useful but overpaid big.

I don't think we are putting the finishing touches on something... I think we are still building and need more parts. We can put the finishing touches together the next year or two.

Also, let's leave a roster spot or two for the DL special Joe Ingles, Royce Oneale signing. Actually bring a second round pick in and find a guy on a super cheap deal that if they fill a rotation spot its a home run.

Another guy that hasn't been discussed... if we trade/let go of Jerebko I'd like to see Casspi come in. Cut by GS because they needed to keep Quin Cook. Could end up being vet min or close to it.

No it's because we have seen time and time again that players get paid on potential as much as performance. We have seen plenty of players that didn't really put up the numbers that got big contracts because they MIGHT at some point.

This is the year to build the asset base. I'd like to use our unguaranteed guys to swing a trade with Denver, Washington, or NO. Portland maybe if they are going to cut costs (they got deep pockets).

Denver - Faried and 2018 FRP (more likely 2019) for unguaranteeds. I'd also do Hernangomez and a swap of 21 for 14 to take on Faried.
Washington - Gortat and 2018 FRP (more likely 2019) for unguaranteeds.
Maybe we do our Boston Brooklyn trade that set us up for years by doing unguaranteeds for 2020 and 2022 unprotected picks of NO and Solomon Hill. They'd be dumb to do it, but that's part of being a great GM is knowing which teams are going to get dumb.
Detroit might be in this group too... who knows?

I'd also consider taking salary for young guys that may hit.

Then I'd sniff around bargain FAs that may be young. Jerami Grant is a great example. Get him on a good long term deal and he may be a big asset.

Sign and trade for Favs, one year deal, or let him walk... it is likely in a salary dump that we'd be getting a useful but overpaid big.

I don't think we are putting the finishing touches on something... I think we are still building and need more parts. We can put the finishing touches together the next year or two.

Nornally I agree with this and I think it's smart to not hit the gas until you are ready, and build up your assets. I think its different now though. We have superstar on a rookie deal. Thats a very unique and advantageous situation. If we wait until he gets paid then we have a salary cap issue where we cant squeeze in as much talent . I think now is the time to strike and take advantage of the situation if we can. Especially as close as we are. We cant count on GS falling apart. Some other super team will probably always be there. Its the new norm

Nornally I agree with this and I think it's smart to not hit the gas until you are ready, and build up your assets. I think its different now though. We have superstar on a rookie deal. Thats a very unique and advantageous situation. If we wait until he gets paid then we have a salary cap issue where we cant squeeze in as much talent . I think now is the time to strike and take advantage of the situation if we can. Especially as close as we are. We cant count on GS falling apart. Some other super team will probably always be there. Its the new norm

I agree that we need to strike... just think we need to do it in 2019 or 2020 and use our current cap space wiggle room to collect assets that could provide future value. I don't think we need to bite at every opportunity that comes through the door. It is much easier for us to pounce on something next year. If we didn't have AB's contract I might consider settling Exum's contract early and using cap space.

We need to get in on these conversations because you can manipulate cap stuff, but I just don't think Jabari comes as cheap as we hope. This year might be the best year to take on contract dollars for assets because a few teams are in a really bad spot.