The Ultimate Best Elite World-Class Jazz Off-Season Guide

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Saint Cy of JFC, May 15, 2018.

1. David Stern

David Stern Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I'm with you. We've GOT to swing for the fences in order to have any kind of chance to win a championship.

2. David Stern

David Stern Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2010
    I think you'll see most of those teams use their cap space to absorb bad contracts + picks

r_u_s_t_b_u_c_k_e_t likes this.
  3. Handlogten's Heros

Handlogten's Heros Well-Known Member 2019 Award Winner

Jun 13, 2014
    Another deal I'd consider in the capspace realm... Philly sends Bayless, Holmes and the #38 pick for the unguaranteed contracts. They then have max space. They have overseas prospects and multiple picks. Holmes is a decent 3rd or 4th big. I think their is good value in this draft out to the 40/45th pick range.

So not sexy... I know, but I think we just need to build.

4. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    You can be patient and wait for a hitter's count though. More mistakes are made trying to speed up the timeline rather than being patient.

5. Handlogten's Heros

Jun 13, 2014
    Absolutely most will but only one of them has to decide they are going to offer him and the price goes from reasonable to scary high. If Gordon goes off the market quick the Jabari market goes plus $20M per year imo.

6. Eenie-Meenie

Eenie-Meenie Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2012
    Was that before the draft or summer league? I know I got a lot of flack in October for saying he could be the best player in Jazz history. Str8line was touting him then too. It doesn't really matter, but what annoys me is that the people who get on my case for saying these things about Mitchell are the same people who were negging me when I was saying things few people would say. Oh, and after the first summer league game when everyone was raving about Dante, I said Mitchell is already better than Dante -- so I guess Zdog apparently had come out for Mitchell before then ???

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  7. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    I don't see ATL or Chicago going after him. Maybe the others could.

8. Snafz

Snafz Member

Jun 9, 2017
    I really like your plan here. I do wonder about keeping Burks on the roster though. With O'Neale emerging I would expect the Jazz would try to unload him during the offseason. Perhaps the Jazz want to see what happens with Exum before pushing that further. Also, what are your thoughts on acquiring Kevin Love? He could be that stretch 4 that we sorely need right now.

9. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I dont know. So much of that depends on what Lebron does and Im not going to pretend to have a clue on that end.

As for Burks, I have no idea. I would like to trade him, but I'm not going to put any energy finding a fake trade because his contract isnt that big a deal.

10. NPC D4617

NPC D4617 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    I really dont think the Jabari thing is happening either. I just like his talent and would love to get him. So I like defending him.

More realistically I would go after Mario Hezonja and maybe Michael Beasley. I think they could both be really nice bargains, and could help us win. But if it means giving up Favors Im not sure thats the right move either. All these ideas come down to money. I wouldn't unload the brinks trucks for Favors.

If we could get Mario Hezonja and Michael Beasley for the same price as Favors I would definitely rather do that.

11. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Everything I did was within the rules.

12. radiohegel

radiohegel Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2016
    If memory serves, I'm pretty sure people weren't giving you **** for talking up Donovan; they were giving you **** for claiming to be the first to talk up Donovan.

Seems like this is coming full circle...

NUMBERICA and Ron Mexico like this.
  13. NPC D4617

NPC D4617 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    This stuff is fun. But such a waste of time. We debate all this stuff none of it probably even comes close to happening.

If I were betting. I bet the Jazz make barely make any changes. I bet Favors is our big off season get, and thats it. Maybe one or two fringe changes.

14. elan_prodigy

elan_prodigy Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2016
    Lol.

You are a special kind of stupid aren't you.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  15. elan_prodigy

Nov 27, 2016
    Im not in on paying Middleton Max money. Thats crazy talk.

Ellis269, toddychurch and NPC D4617 like this.
  16. elan_prodigy

Nov 27, 2016

Are these your thoughts??

After listening to the latest dunked on podcast your post is almost word for word what they discussed.

17. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    Uhh, no it's not. They didnt lay out any kind of specific plan. They just threw about every possible scenario at the wall, so ofc there is going to be overlap.

18. LoPo

LoPo Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2016
    My offseason plan:

#1 Trade Burks and Udoh to the Knicks for Noah and #9. Let them dream of LeBron. By shedding Noah for Burks non-guaranteed Udoh and re-structuring Kanter, they could open up max type money for a LeBron push. Or they just wait until summer 2019. #9 won't move the needle for them but Noah really gets in their way. For us, Noah doesn't kill us because O'Neale, Crowder, and Mitchell are on such bargain deals. We have more to gain by having a high draft pick asset than max free agency space in 2019. Too many buyers in 2019 and not enough elite talent available.

#2 Use #9 and #21 to get the best player available. Either a current player or a draft pick. Maybe draft a Porter Jr. or Bridges at #9 and turn #21 into a future, better 1st. Or trade up. Or trade for Tobias Harris. I like what DL can do with picks more than what we have pulled off with cap space.

#3 Say goodbye to Favors unless he wants to take something around Crowder's deal ($7ish).

#4 Re-sign Exum to anything less than $10 million. He fits the long term narrative.

#5 Sign Hezonja using some of the MLE. I'm estimating that $7 gets it done. He could be the bargain of the summer. He's a SF/PF with explosiveness, a great shot and defensive potential.

We may or may not have to waive Jerekbo to get under the luxury. All depends on the contracts for Exum and Hezonja.

PG Rubio, Exum, Neto
    SG Mitchell, O'Neale
    SF & PF Ingles, Crowder, Hezonja, Thabo, #9, Jerekbo
    C Gobert, Noah, Bradley

Our focus next season will be to play "small ball" 1 through 4 anchored around Gobert at 5. It will be same lineup we will need come playoff time. The "two bigs" approach will be over because it won't work against the Hampton 5 type lineups.

Our roster flexibility would be amazing. O'Neale (SG, SF, PF), Hezonja (SF, PF), Ingles (SF, PF), Crowder (SF, PF), Thabo (SF, PF), Mitchell (SG, PG), Exum (PG, SG, SF) and #9 (SF/PF) are all players who can play multiple positions. Our "switch-ability" with quality players would be as deep and strong as any team in the league. And we would have Noah to provide hard fouls and energy come playoff time (until he expires or we stretch him summer 2019). #9 fits as a building block for the future more than hoping and praying for a big free agent.

Revolution 9 likes this.
  19. idestroyedthetoilet

idestroyedthetoilet Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2018

Explain please. Utah is well over the cap with holds. That's how they get a MLE. If they renounce and go below the cap they get no MLE. It's not much of a point shuffling contract signing/renouncing dates, but it looks like order matters.

20. Saint Cy of JFC

May 27, 2010
    I used capulator