What's new

The Ultimate Best Elite World-Class Jazz Off-Season Guide

Nornally I agree with this and I think it's smart to not hit the gas until you are ready, and build up your assets. I think its different now though. We have superstar on a rookie deal. Thats a very unique and advantageous situation. If we wait until he gets paid then we have a salary cap issue where we cant squeeze in as much talent . I think now is the time to strike and take advantage of the situation if we can. Especially as close as we are. We cant count on GS falling apart. Some other super team will probably always be there. Its the new norm

I'm with you. We've GOT to swing for the fences in order to have any kind of chance to win a championship.

So Atlanta, Chicago, BKN, Phoenix, and Sacramento can all offer Jabari around $20M or more by making a move or two. What are those teams doing with their cap space? All likely go after young FAs... so Gordon or Parker. 3/54 aint happening with Jabari. It will be 4/80 (at least). If Milwaukee matches they are in cap hell... if they let him walk for nothing they piss off Giannis.

If we want in it is likely a sign and trade 4/80 (or higher).

There just isn't value there imo.

I think you'll see most of those teams use their cap space to absorb bad contracts + picks

Another deal I'd consider in the capspace realm... Philly sends Bayless, Holmes and the #38 pick for the unguaranteed contracts. They then have max space. They have overseas prospects and multiple picks. Holmes is a decent 3rd or 4th big. I think their is good value in this draft out to the 40/45th pick range.

So not sexy... I know, but I think we just need to build.

I think you'll see most of those teams use their cap space to absorb bad contracts + picks

Absolutely most will but only one of them has to decide they are going to offer him and the price goes from reasonable to scary high. If Gordon goes off the market quick the Jabari market goes plus $20M per year imo.

Wrong. ZDog was the first to push Mitchell.
Was that before the draft or summer league? I know I got a lot of flack in October for saying he could be the best player in Jazz history. Str8line was touting him then too. It doesn't really matter, but what annoys me is that the people who get on my case for saying these things about Mitchell are the same people who were negging me when I was saying things few people would say. Oh, and after the first summer league game when everyone was raving about Dante, I said Mitchell is already better than Dante -- so I guess Zdog apparently had come out for Mitchell before then ???

Last edited:
So Atlanta, Chicago, BKN, Phoenix, and Sacramento can all offer Jabari around $20M or more by making a move or two. What are those teams doing with their cap space? All likely go after young FAs... so Gordon or Parker. 3/54 aint happening with Jabari. It will be 4/80 (at least). If Milwaukee matches they are in cap hell... if they let him walk for nothing they piss off Giannis.

If we want in it is likely a sign and trade 4/80 (or higher).

There just isn't value there imo.

I don't see ATL or Chicago going after him. Maybe the others could.

Here is what the Jazz should try to do. I think most of this is within the realm of realistic outcomes.

1. Waive the trio of non-guaranteed vets who were signed this past off-season (Thabo/Jonas/Udoh). This will make sense with the other moves I will make.

2. Double sign and trade for Jabari Parker using Derrick Favors. Favors signs a 45 million dollar deal over 3 years and Parker signs a 54 million dollar deal over 3 years w/ a team option in the final year. Bucks really need a starting center and Favors gives them that while being more health reliable. Should be a good fit on the Bucks without being a premium price. This probably relies on their relationship being too frazzled with Parker to move on with him.

3. Re-sign Dante Exum for 20 million dollars over a 3 year deal, with the final year being a player option. Since the Jazz arent signing anyone using cap-space, they can have the upper-hand in negotiating with Dante as they can wait out his big cap hold. I think this is a good deal for Dante as it gives him a safety net of career earnings with the option to opt out after 2 years if he succeeds.

4. Extend Ricky Rubio with a 74 million dollar deal over 4 years starting in 2019. I expect Rubio to have a great year next year so I would want to lock him up to a fair deal now. With the Parker signing though, the need to extend Rubio becomes less so as the Jazz don't really benefit that much from lower his cap number on the 2019 free agency as they wouldnt have any real cap-space either way.

5. Sign Seth Curry using the bi-annual exception at 6 million over 2 years with a team option in the 2nd year. He was injured the entire year, but he played well the previous year for the Mavs. Offers high level shooting for a cheap price. Can play next to Exum in some 2nd unit lineups

6. Sign Jerami Grant using part of the mid-level exception at 12,600,000 over 3 years with the final year being a team option. I was really impressed by Grant in the OKC series. Great athlete with great length. I see him being a backup 4/5 and a potential ace in the sleeve against teams like Houston/GSW as a small ball 5. This is might be a bit of an overpay, but he is still fairly young and I think he will have a big market in the price range just below this.

7. Sign Anthony Tolliver using rest of mid-level exception for 8 million over 2 years w/ the final year being a team option. Replaces Jerebko as the situational stretch big. Similar weaknesses to Jerebko, but a much more dangerous shooter. Also a vet which is nice given how much younger the roster is getting with these moves.

8. Draft: Obviously the Jazz should draft BPA at the guard, wing or forward position, but personally I would place highest value on Jacob Evans or Elie Okobo with the first round pick. Drafting that late in the 2nd round is usually a crap shoot and have no real opinion on who should be taken without knowing who will fall that low, I will say Malik Newman just to say a name to put in the depth chart.

Depth Chart:

PG: Rubio/Exum/Newman
SG: Mitchell/O'Neale/Curry/Burks
SF: Ingles/Crowder/Evans
PF: Parker/Grant/Tolliver
C: Gobert/Bradley

Obviously the biggest question mark is Jabari's health, but if he stays healthy this is a potentially great team with a bright future and a lot of versatility.

I really like your plan here. I do wonder about keeping Burks on the roster though. With O'Neale emerging I would expect the Jazz would try to unload him during the offseason. Perhaps the Jazz want to see what happens with Exum before pushing that further. Also, what are your thoughts on acquiring Kevin Love? He could be that stretch 4 that we sorely need right now.

I really like your plan here. I do wonder about keeping Burks on the roster though. With O'Neale emerging I would expect the Jazz would try to unload him during the offseason. Perhaps the Jazz want to see what happens with Exum before pushing that further. Also, what are your thoughts on acquiring Kevin Love? He could be that stretch 4 that we sorely need right now.
I dont know. So much of that depends on what Lebron does and Im not going to pretend to have a clue on that end.

As for Burks, I have no idea. I would like to trade him, but I'm not going to put any energy finding a fake trade because his contract isnt that big a deal.

I really dont think the Jabari thing is happening either. I just like his talent and would love to get him. So I like defending him.

More realistically I would go after Mario Hezonja and maybe Michael Beasley. I think they could both be really nice bargains, and could help us win. But if it means giving up Favors Im not sure thats the right move either. All these ideas come down to money. I wouldn't unload the brinks trucks for Favors.

If we could get Mario Hezonja and Michael Beasley for the same price as Favors I would definitely rather do that.

Was that before the draft or summer league? I know I got a lot of flack in October for saying he could be the best player in Jazz history. Str8line was touting him then too. It doesn't really matter, but what annoys me is that the people who get on my case for saying these things about Mitchell are the same people who were negging me when I was saying things few people would say. Oh, and after the first summer league game when everyone was raving about Dante, I said Mitchell is already better than Dante -- so I guess Zdog apparently had come out for Mitchell before then ???
If memory serves, I'm pretty sure people weren't giving you **** for talking up Donovan; they were giving you **** for claiming to be the first to talk up Donovan.

Seems like this is coming full circle...

This stuff is fun. But such a waste of time. We debate all this stuff none of it probably even comes close to happening.

If I were betting. I bet the Jazz make barely make any changes. I bet Favors is our big off season get, and thats it. Maybe one or two fringe changes.

I think Str8line and myself were the first ones to really push Mitchell.

Lol.

You are a special kind of stupid aren't you.

Last edited:
Here is what the Jazz should try to do. I think most of this is within the realm of realistic outcomes.

1. Waive the trio of non-guaranteed vets who were signed this past off-season (Thabo/Jonas/Udoh). This will make sense with the other moves I will make.

2. Double sign and trade for Jabari Parker using Derrick Favors. Favors signs a 45 million dollar deal over 3 years and Parker signs a 54 million dollar deal over 3 years w/ a team option in the final year. Bucks really need a starting center and Favors gives them that while being more health reliable. Should be a good fit on the Bucks without being a premium price. This probably relies on their relationship being too frazzled with Parker to move on with him.

3. Re-sign Dante Exum for 20 million dollars over a 3 year deal, with the final year being a player option. Since the Jazz arent signing anyone using cap-space, they can have the upper-hand in negotiating with Dante as they can wait out his big cap hold. I think this is a good deal for Dante as it gives him a safety net of career earnings with the option to opt out after 2 years if he succeeds.

4. Extend Ricky Rubio with a 74 million dollar deal over 4 years starting in 2019. I expect Rubio to have a great year next year so I would want to lock him up to a fair deal now. With the Parker signing though, the need to extend Rubio becomes less so as the Jazz don't really benefit that much from lower his cap number on the 2019 free agency as they wouldnt have any real cap-space either way.

5. Sign Seth Curry using the bi-annual exception at 6 million over 2 years with a team option in the 2nd year. He was injured the entire year, but he played well the previous year for the Mavs. Offers high level shooting for a cheap price. Can play next to Exum in some 2nd unit lineups

6. Sign Jerami Grant using part of the mid-level exception at 12,600,000 over 3 years with the final year being a team option. I was really impressed by Grant in the OKC series. Great athlete with great length. I see him being a backup 4/5 and a potential ace in the sleeve against teams like Houston/GSW as a small ball 5. This is might be a bit of an overpay, but he is still fairly young and I think he will have a big market in the price range just below this.

7. Sign Anthony Tolliver using rest of mid-level exception for 8 million over 2 years w/ the final year being a team option. Replaces Jerebko as the situational stretch big. Similar weaknesses to Jerebko, but a much more dangerous shooter. Also a vet which is nice given how much younger the roster is getting with these moves.

8. Draft: Obviously the Jazz should draft BPA at the guard, wing or forward position, but personally I would place highest value on Jacob Evans or Elie Okobo with the first round pick. Drafting that late in the 2nd round is usually a crap shoot and have no real opinion on who should be taken without knowing who will fall that low, I will say Malik Newman just to say a name to put in the depth chart.

Depth Chart:

PG: Rubio/Exum/Newman
SG: Mitchell/O'Neale/Curry/Burks
SF: Ingles/Crowder/Evans
PF: Parker/Grant/Tolliver
C: Gobert/Bradley

Obviously the biggest question mark is Jabari's health, but if he stays healthy this is a potentially great team with a bright future and a lot of versatility.

Are these your thoughts??

After listening to the latest dunked on podcast your post is almost word for word what they discussed.

Are these your thoughts??

After listening to the latest dunked on podcast your post is almost word for word what they discussed.
Uhh, no it's not. They didnt lay out any kind of specific plan. They just threw about every possible scenario at the wall, so ofc there is going to be overlap.

My offseason plan:

#1 Trade Burks and Udoh to the Knicks for Noah and #9. Let them dream of LeBron. By shedding Noah for Burks non-guaranteed Udoh and re-structuring Kanter, they could open up max type money for a LeBron push. Or they just wait until summer 2019. #9 won't move the needle for them but Noah really gets in their way. For us, Noah doesn't kill us because O'Neale, Crowder, and Mitchell are on such bargain deals. We have more to gain by having a high draft pick asset than max free agency space in 2019. Too many buyers in 2019 and not enough elite talent available.

#2 Use #9 and #21 to get the best player available. Either a current player or a draft pick. Maybe draft a Porter Jr. or Bridges at #9 and turn #21 into a future, better 1st. Or trade up. Or trade for Tobias Harris. I like what DL can do with picks more than what we have pulled off with cap space.

#3 Say goodbye to Favors unless he wants to take something around Crowder's deal ($7ish).

#4 Re-sign Exum to anything less than $10 million. He fits the long term narrative.

#5 Sign Hezonja using some of the MLE. I'm estimating that $7 gets it done. He could be the bargain of the summer. He's a SF/PF with explosiveness, a great shot and defensive potential.

We may or may not have to waive Jerekbo to get under the luxury. All depends on the contracts for Exum and Hezonja.

PG Rubio, Exum, Neto
SG Mitchell, O'Neale
SF & PF Ingles, Crowder, Hezonja, Thabo, #9, Jerekbo
C Gobert, Noah, Bradley

Our focus next season will be to play "small ball" 1 through 4 anchored around Gobert at 5. It will be same lineup we will need come playoff time. The "two bigs" approach will be over because it won't work against the Hampton 5 type lineups.

Our roster flexibility would be amazing. O'Neale (SG, SF, PF), Hezonja (SF, PF), Ingles (SF, PF), Crowder (SF, PF), Thabo (SF, PF), Mitchell (SG, PG), Exum (PG, SG, SF) and #9 (SF/PF) are all players who can play multiple positions. Our "switch-ability" with quality players would be as deep and strong as any team in the league. And we would have Noah to provide hard fouls and energy come playoff time (until he expires or we stretch him summer 2019). #9 fits as a building block for the future more than hoping and praying for a big free agent.