What's new

TIL Thread

Apparently like 20% of people have different genes that causes them to taste cilantro like soap.

When I learned that, I wondered (but there's no evidence that I'm aware of) if people have the same thing for fennel (black licorice taste, hate that stuff) and horseradish (stuff tastes like nailpolish remover to me.. no hyperbole).

Apparently like 20% of people have different genes that causes them to taste cilantro like soap.

Yes, my sister showed me that on her DNA report just a month or so ago! But I don't have that same gene; cilantro tastes yummy to me. :)

When I learned that, I wondered (but there's no evidence that I'm aware of) if people have the same thing for fennel (black licorice taste, hate that stuff) and horseradish (stuff tastes like nailpolish remover to me.. no hyperbole).

Yeah, black licorice in particular seems to be a really love it or hate it flavor. Wouldn't surprise me.

Us Americans call coriander by it's Spanish name cilantro.

The whole plant is called coriander aka cilantro. It's the same thing.

But the leafy part is used in Mexican food a lot so we call it cilantro because that's it's Spanish name. The seeds and crushed seeds we call coriander because that's what the spice is called.

Chinese use it a lot in their hot pots and other dishes.