What's new

Trade Confirmed: Jazz get jack for Bogey

I'm guessing business in Phoenix is hard right now... I know they said they are active and all that but signing on for more tax would be hard given their ownership disruption.

Also, Shamet's deal >>> THT's deal.
For a tanking team THT >>>> Shamet.

If we were a playoff team Id agree, take the player who has a more proven skill and could contribute in small amounts.

Andy Larsen said the Jazz had offers for (presumed) late first but it included long-term salary. Connect teh dots and he is likely talking about Shamet.

Supply and demand. The Jazz and Thunder have gobbled up so many of the available 1st round picks that the price to obtain one that is actually available has gone sky-high. We're lucky we got a 1st for Royce when we did. The only plausible explanation is that there legitimately were not any quality offers at this point for Bogey. Either the picks were garbage (2nd), or required the Jazz to take back more salary.

yeah, i was confused by that part of your post. you're saying it's both. gotcha.
Yeah... like we had multiple options and one option is a guy Danny really likes that shouldn't really be an option... but also it saves money so Ryan saw it and was like "yeah lets do the one for Cash Cons.... I mean Kelly"

Our young centers are *** lmao. If they are good enough they will find a way. KO isnt blocking anything if they have actual talent.
KO is a year removed from averaging 19 ppg and 8 rebs on 67%! TS. then last year he was horrible. call each of those years outliers (both fairly small samples), but for his career he's a double figure scorer on excellent efficiency. he's absolutely good enough to keep young guys on the bench.

If we were a playoff team Id agree, take the player who has a more proven skill and could contribute in small amounts.

Andy Larsen said the Jazz had offers for (presumed) late first but it included long-term salary. Connect teh dots and he is likely talking about Shamet.

Those are the exact ****ing deals we should be taking. We took THT without a pick lmao. Just dumb as ****.

Yeah, I've tried to look it from as many angles a possible, and none really make any sense. Even if it was about saving money surely there was someone who could offer expirings + 2nds? Phoenix wanting to move Crowder for example?

Ainge is smarter at this than me, but I just don't understand this deal at all.
I'm with you mostly.

I think from what I can tell the Jazz really dont want long-term salary back and I guess they wanted to do Bogey a solid by getting him to a team trying to win (but then why teh ****ing Pistons lmao).

It plays into my theory the Jazz are going to be going after UFA's sooner than most think. I think they will see the next UFA draft class as a bargain class since a lot of teams will be saving for the '24 class.

it could be Duncan too.

Shamet's deal has more upside than THT... if he starts hitting threes at a 40%+ clip and shows a little more on-ball then you have two additional guaranteed years you can decide. THT either sucks (most likely) and signs up for another year of sucking... or he plays well and bails or gets a raise.

Those are the exact ****ing deals we should be taking. We took THT without a pick lmao. Just dumb as ****.
It's been my theory for a while the Jazz arent going to do a long-term tank and will be looking to use cap-space to sign free agents and the future picks to trade for a star. My long held theory looks more right with this trade.

I’d MUCH rather have the Phoenix deal than this. Make no mistake this was about saving money. We got an inferior player and added another player to our 17 man roster.

Reading is fundamental. Shamets contract is essentially an expiring contract.

Yeah, I've tried to look it from as many angles a possible, and none really make any sense. Even if it was about saving money surely there was someone who could offer expirings + 2nds? Phoenix wanting to move Crowder for example?
It would take more than Crowder for Bogey though, I think it would take Crowder and Shamet.

Reading is fundamental. Shamets contract is essentially an expiring contract.
No it's not. He has 10 this year and 10 next year, then he can be waived the following year. That's not an expiring contract you ignoramous.

I'm with you mostly.

I think from what I can tell the Jazz really dont want long-term salary back and I guess they wanted to do Bogey a solid by getting him to a team trying to win (but then why teh ****ing Pistons lmao).

It plays into my theory the Jazz are going to be going after UFA's sooner than most think. I think they will see the next UFA draft class as a bargain class since a lot of teams will be saving for the '24 class.
It really doesn't feed your theory but sure... We took on an additional 3M next year at the very least. If you are going to be a FA player you'd want more space.

Danny loves his Beantown Boys... so he brought back and old favorite. Ryan will also buy him lunch cuz he saved 5M or so... Zupas on the boss today!!!

I think I would agree, but then again, I trust that Ainge has a plan for all of this and that the cap-space going into next year will be put to use and isnt just a Ryan money thing.

It would take more than Crowder for Bogey though, I think it would take Crowder and Shamet.
Saric could have been in there. In any case Shamet/Crowder plus a first is better than KO/Lee... Could likely flip Crowder for a couple mill in savings. Under your FA theory Shamet cuts into 6M (10M in his deal minus the 3M on KO's guarantee and a million roster spot hold) in space and you get a first. I'll take the extra first please.