What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Oni should play more, but not for that reason. Niang has played pretty solid defense and stood out a bunch this year. Last year I would agree with that statement but he's earned his minutes this year. Also they aren't playing the same position much if at all.
Niang has been good on defense... even made a few stand out plays... I think his brand of good defense is not something you'd notice unless you were watching.

I think we need someone who can do more than just survive on defense doe... we need a guy we trust to throw at the tough assignments for 10 minutes and hopefully they have an impact or just limit the damage a bit.

Won't expect Gordon to sustain his shooting for the rest of his career and don't really need him to be. All we care about is this 2021 season so if he is having an outlier season in 2021 shooting the ball that is good news for the Jazz. He might revert back to his average shooting at some point. But as long as it doesn't happen during this season we can live with it. Even if it does he won't hurt us nearly as much because he can actually rebound and play some D.

Same goes for Bogey, who is having an underwhelming season thus far trying to recover from his wrist surgery. He might be able to recover at some point. But if that time doesn't come soon enough and it really isn't helping us.

This season might be our best chance at a championship in nearly 25 years, why wait another year?
He has hardly played. Having an unhealthy player isn't win now. Gordon also has hot shooting streaks and then can't make a shot to save his life for the rest of the season. His ft shooting percentage is a good indicator. I do like his upside with us, but I doubt that makes a difference this year.

With regard to Oni... he played solid defense in the Boston game a month or two ago on one of their wings (iirc). He doesn't stand out but really neither does Niang except when he is making mistakes or hitting shots.

I think Oni should get the time allocated to Niang. His quick trigger three, the defense, and the other thing we do is send the corner shooter screaming in for offensive boards... he's been amazing at that.

If he can get good at that he might get more comfortable with the other stuff... even if he is just good at that stuff... we need that more than what Niang brings.
I think Snyder needs both bullpen options. Niang or Oni. Right now he hasn’t developed that option.

But Snyder doesn’t do bullpen development.

I think Snyder needs both bullpen options. Niang or Oni. Right now he hasn’t developed that option.

I agree... just think Oni needs seasoning more than Niang.

Niang can bring a version of what Bojan brings. Can we upgrade Bojan's spot is my question... then fill in with some of the Niang/Oni's of the world. I can all but guarantee we aren't throwing Bojan out in trade talks though.

Last edited:

Why have a bullpen when you can just have your starter pitch all 9 each night?

Gordon is a win now piece compared to Bojan.

Better rebounding AND better shooting(40% from 3 this year). Whether we can get him is another story. But there is no doubt that he's the definite upgrade over Bojan at this point.

The argument for Gordon over Bojan if you're the Jazz is that you think Joe Ingles can replace much of Bojan's touches as a floor spacer, while Gordon is a better defender and iso-scorer on a spaced floor. Gordon also adds an interesting help defender at the 4 next to Gobert. Royce can also play minutes at the 3 to make room for Gordon.

So you close with Conley/Mitchell/Ingles/Gordon/Gobert. You've got more size, more defense, have 4 creators and have 3 shooters.

Last edited:
The argument for Gordon over Bojan if you're the Jazz is that you think Joe Ingles can replace much of Bojan's touches as a floor spacer, while Gordon is a better defender and iso-scorer on a spaced floor. Gordon also adds an interesting help defender at the 4 next to Gobert. Royce can also play minutes at the 3 to make room for Gordon.

So you close with Conley/Mitchell/Ingles/Gordon/Gobert. You've got more size, more defense, have 4 creators and have 3 shooters.
I think this would make our team so much better defensively and on boards. In the playoffs, Donovan and Mike and Joe are going to do the ball handling. And Gordon as a second shotblocker would be awesome.

If DAL ends up trading for Drummond, James Johnson is probably being sent over for salary purposes and then brought out. Always liked him.

Latest rumor says Boston is trading Smart and a couple firsts for Gordon and Fournier... ummmm am I the only one that’d rather have Smart? Forget the picks.

it might be that Smart goes elsewhere for a first... I still don’t get it for the Celtics if it happens. I’m not sure how we’d use smart but I’d sure the hell be willing to figure it out.

I always thought Gordon was overrated but 2 first round picks plus Marcus Smart is hell of an overpay.

Celtics are getting desperate if that is true. He isn't even a clear answer to their struggles. They need someone who can play slower and orchestrate an offense similar to Joe Ingles. They miss Hayward on that end. Defensively, they need rim protection.

I always thought Gordon was overrated but 2 first round picks plus Marcus Smart is hell of an overpay.

Celtics are getting desperate if that is true. He isn't even a clear answer to their struggles. They need someone who can play slower and orchestrate an offense similar to Joe Ingles. They miss Hayward on that end. Defensively, they need rim protection.
Maybe it’s Kemba instead. Smart was in trade rumors over the draft too.

All those assets they say on... then to blow a bunch of stuff on Gordon? Not sure why they think they need that type of player?