What's new

Trade deadline discussion

Whatever works, honestly. Don, Collins, and Rudy is a pretty buff big-3.
I think trading Conley for Smart gets us a first round pick in return. He is a very good fit for them and doesn't compromise them that much financially going forward.

Maybe use that first round pick to get Collins if that opportunity does actually exist.

So this is where the Collins rumor comes from... a slightly more interesting rumor was the NO wants CJ McCollum. Its clear they are going to still try and be a buyer. The trade mentioned was Hart and JV for CJ. That's probably too step for NOP. They said they would prefer Sato and Hart. If they like CJ for Hart... I can't imagine they'd stick their nose up at JC for their trade exception. I think you could swipe a second round pick or maybe two?

I doubt they would do Hart for JC... but if they are interested in CJ and can't get him without JV then maybe? What if it was JC and Royce for Hart and Sato?

So this is where the Collins rumor comes from... a slightly more interesting rumor was the NO wants CJ McCollum. Its clear they are going to still try and be a buyer. The trade mentioned was Hart and JV for CJ. That's probably too step for NOP. They said they would prefer Sato and Hart. If they like CJ for Hart... I can't imagine they'd stick their nose up at JC for their trade exception. I think you could swipe a second round pick or maybe two?

I doubt they would do Hart for JC... but if they are interested in CJ and can't get him without JV then maybe? What if it was JC and Royce for Hart and Sato?

Link is showing up for me... sorry. Its a bleacher report article from Jake Fisher.

I like the idea of JC for Satoransky if it comes with multiple 2nd round picks. NOLA does have 3 2nd round picks this year so I think that's fair.

I'm going through my basketball cards and came across a Glenn Robinson III card. I'm surprised that guy is a FA. He was solid with Golden State like two years ago.

Some information on John Collins

One team contacted by Atlanta regarding Collins told Bleacher Report the Hawks were only seeking a valuable first-round pick and a starting-caliber player in exchange for the talented young forward.

****ing bananas.

Figure it out, Ainge. I think the fit would be awesome, and if it’s not, at least he’s young and still tradable.
Doesn’t the rumor say they also want a VALUABLE, not ANY pick? That excludes us, thank god!! Not sure how he fits our needs other then adding a talented offensive player

Doesn’t the rumor say they also want a VALUABLE, not ANY pick? That excludes us, thank god!! Not sure how he fits our needs other then adding a talented offensive player
He wouldn't stretch the court as well as Bojan, but he's a better defender, rebounder and can play small ball center.

You can find those guys though. We might already have a half-decent replacement on the roster on a 10-day. Then there’s the possibility of dropping pick protections on the Favors/OKC pick and getting Kenny Hustle.
If it's that easy, why don't we have one? House hasn't proven anything except that he bounces around the league, if that's who you mean. Royce isn't untouchable and I wish he was our 7th guy, but man, this board has to stop selling him short.

If it's that easy, why don't we have one? House hasn't proven anything except that he bounces around the league, if that's who you mean. Royce isn't untouchable and I wish he was our 7th guy, but man, this board has to stop selling him short.
Royce hasn't been as good this year. He is valuable for sure... but the point is his skill set is something you can find for cheap. House is solid and could replace 80-90% of what Royce currently is bringing imo. So you can move Royce for something else you may need. It isn't easy but its possible.

There are things that are damn near impossible to find at the minimum... like bigs that protect the rim and stretch the floor... but 3 and D can hide with lesser known players. I wouldn't trade Royce just to move him but if he is what closes the gap on a deal then go for it.

3 Dumb things that JZ did that are so damn minor...

1- You have to snake Kenny Hustle out of OKC in the Favs deal. The pick we gave has light protections... they are sitting on infinity cap space right now... Favs is a useful vet... you have to be able to negotiate and get Kenny Hustle. If they won't do it threaten to keep the 1st and do a waive and stretch with Favs. Would save a bunch of money this year and mess with the cap in future years... but we won't have space next year anyway. A $4M cap hit in 3 or 4 years likely doesn't matter either as we likely are retooling.
2- You have to decline Udoka's option. He can't get on the floor because he's terrible. There was no upside in keeping it. A little expiring contract fodder could help make a deal work... now its a slightly negative deal we hold on to for no reason.
3- When you swap #30 for two seconds that is fine... if you were using one of the seconds to offload Favs I understand. Having a player on a 4 year deal (with options throughout so no risk if they suck) is such a better asset than having Butler on a 2 year deal. He would have decent trade value on a longer deal... we could be more patient on a longer deal. We did this to get another second and to save the difference of salary of $1M. Not great.

Some of these are likely Ryan saving money... just find better ways to do it. Having Kenny Hustle or that first or a better trade asset would really help us make the next move we need to.

3 Dumb things that JZ did that are so damn minor...

1- You have to snake Kenny Hustle out of OKC in the Favs deal. The pick we gave has light protections... they are sitting on infinity cap space right now... Favs is a useful vet... you have to be able to negotiate and get Kenny Hustle. If they won't do it threaten to keep the 1st and do a waive and stretch with Favs. Would save a bunch of money this year and mess with the cap in future years... but we won't have space next year anyway. A $4M cap hit in 3 or 4 years likely doesn't matter either as we likely are retooling.
2- You have to decline Udoka's option. He can't get on the floor because he's terrible. There was no upside in keeping it. A little expiring contract fodder could help make a deal work... now its a slightly negative deal we hold on to for no reason.
3- When you swap #30 for two seconds that is fine... if you were using one of the seconds to offload Favs I understand. Having a player on a 4 year deal (with options throughout so no risk if they suck) is such a better asset than having Butler on a 2 year deal. He would have decent trade value on a longer deal... we could be more patient on a longer deal. We did this to get another second and to save the difference of salary of $1M. Not great.

Some of these are likely Ryan saving money... just find better ways to do it. Having Kenny Hustle or that first or a better trade asset would really help us make the next move we need to.
You can see how awful we are by simply following the career, contracts, and transactions of Derrick Favors.

Not only did it hurt us, it probably cost him money at the end of the day.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

You can see how awful we are by simply following the career, contracts, and transactions of Derrick Favors.

Not only did it hurt us, it probably cost him money at the end of the day.

Agree on the first point... disagree strongly on the second one... we made Favs a lot of dough.

Agree on the first point... disagree strongly on the second one... we made Favs a lot of dough.
He definitely got paid by us, but he could have been a franchise center and maybe an All Star in the Eastern Conference. We paid him good money to stuff him next to Rudy. Imagine if he had gone to a place where he was the man.

The thing that is frustrating is the players know this is an "all-in" year they claim to love each other and want to be here... but their play is telling you they are not willing to work for it. If they wanted to save the team and stay in tact you'd think they'd be dying on the court every night.

They are sending the organization a message... they don't care that much if they get moved. Its up to the organization to hear that message.

He definitely got paid by us, but he could have been a franchise center and maybe an All Star in the Eastern Conference. We paid him good money to stuff him next to Rudy. Imagine if he had gone to a place where he was the man.

I think he always knew his body wasn't going to hold up to that. I think we did fair by him.

You mean by that last contract lol?

The one before was an overpay too but it was shorter. Also, rather than declining the option we landed a second or two? and he got his option picked up. He was never good enough to be a franchise center. I don't think he really lost a dime and I think the wear and tear would have done him in even earlier. His last deal more than makes up for any underpayment he received.

The one before was an overpay too but it was shorter. Also, rather than declining the option we landed a second or two? and he got his option picked up. He was never good enough to be a franchise center. I don't think he really lost a dime and I think the wear and tear would have done him in even earlier. His last deal more than makes up for any underpayment he received.
We overpaid him, dwindled away his trade value, dumped him, then overpaid him again and then used a future 1st to dump him.

We could debate all day what that meant to Favors, but we really ****ed up in our asset management of him.

That NOP rumor with CJ McCollum is still really interesting. They would give Hart and whatever to pay CJ $100M over the next 3 years. JC for $40M has to be appealing. Ainge please call them every day... they about to do dumb stuff.

A draft pick farout into the future with minimal protections is highly valuable. I don't imagine Atlanta is wanting a draft pick to actually draft a player any time soon (they want to compete now). They want something of value they could use in another trade. A 2026 pick that is only top 3 protected would be highly valuable.