What's new

Trade Rumors Involving the Jazz

From Tony Jones latest article. It's amazing how Tony and a few other people went from saying there would for sure be major and possibly seismic changes to the roster to saying garbage like this:

But sources have long believed that even if the roster looks much the same as it did last season at its core, a new voice from the departed Snyder could inject energy that simply wasn’t there last season.

Ultimately, that’s what Utah would like its main roster to look like. Donovan Mitchell at the point, surrounded by a bunch of guys with positional size who can dribble, pass and shoot.

That won’t come this season, in all likelihood. But, over the course of Hardy’s contract, that’s the plan.

I'm so excited to run it back again next year with the exact same core, make a few minor changes around the margins that ultimately won't move the needle at all and go out in the first round again. In fact, with other teams in the west improving around us, I won't be at all surprised if we wind up being a play-in team next season.

From Tony Jones latest article. It's amazing how Tony and a few other people went from saying there would for sure be major and possibly seismic changes to the roster to saying garbage like this:

I'm so excited to run it back again next year with the exact same core, make a few minor changes around the margins that ultimately won't move the needle at all and go out in the first round again. In fact, with other teams in the west improving around us, I won't be at all surprised if we wind up being a play-in team next season.

We gonna be a play in team next year... running it back or breaking it up. Unless we have some injuries... and then we be a lotto team.

Also this is the danger in not accepting a rebuild... The roster changes won't happen this season... okay so we pivot next season? Cool then if it doesn't work Don's on essentially an expiring deal... great work everyone... ya nailed it.

We gonna be a play in team next year... running it back or breaking it up. Unless we have some injuries... and then we be a lotto team.

You're most likely right. I'd just rather be a play-in team with some different and hopefully more fun to watch pieces. I know our guys likely don't have the greatest trade value, but I just find it hard to believe they can't find a single deal they like for one of Mike, Royce, Bogey or Clarkson.

I also find it funny that everyone uses Boston as an example of how a "new voice" got their group to play together so that's why they made the finals. They replaced Kemba Walker, Tristian Thompson, and Evan Fouriner with Al Horford and Derrick White. And also had young, former 1st round picks that grew into bigger roles with Pritchard, Bob Williams, and Grant.

The Pels traded Anthony Davis to the Lakers and got a haul because the Lakers saw Davis as the missing piece to create a championship team.

The Pels traded Jrue Holiday to the Bucks and got a haul because the Bucks saw Jrue as the final missing piece to create a championship team.

That's the type of situation that the Jazz need to trade Gobert into in order to get a haul. Until the Jazz get the return they want, they can hold onto Gobert and wait. The Jazz need to trade Gobert to a team that's desperate to win now and is hence willing to be myopic. That could be the Knicks this year. It could be the Blazers. It could still be the Bulls. It could be the Kings sometime during the season when they realize they're not where they want to be. It could be Brooklyn if they have enough Philly picks left from the James Harden trade.

The Pels traded Anthony Davis to the Lakers and got a haul because the Lakers saw Davis as the missing piece to create a championship team.

The Pels traded Jrue Holiday to the Bucks and got a haul because the Bucks saw Jrue as the final missing piece to create a championship team.

That's the type of situation that the Jazz need to trade Gobert into in order to get a haul. Until the Jazz get the return they want, they can hold onto Gobert and wait. The Jazz need to trade Gobert to a team that's desperate to win now and is hence willing to be myopic. That could be the Knicks this year. It could be the Blazers. It could still be the Bulls. It could be the Kings sometime during the season when they realize they're not where they want to be.
Davis was viewed as a top 5 player at the time he got traded and the Pelicans got Eric Bledsoe, Steven Adams, a 2025/2027 first and pick swaps, wouldn't call that a haul.

You're most likely right. I'd just rather be a play-in team with some different and hopefully more fun to watch pieces. I know our guys likely don't have the greatest trade value, but I just find it hard to believe they can't find a single deal they like for one of Mike, Royce, Bogey or Clarkson.
Again... if we wanted to do a Melton like deal for Royce it might have been there (we trade Royce for dead salary and a first). Bogey should get more... JC is off the market I think based on the rumblings I hear from Locke and others. Mike's market is understandably dependent on like three upstream moves... what happens with Brunson? What happens with Brogdon? Are the Wizards able to land Tyus Jones with MLE? Then its do Memphis, Dallas have interest in Mike.... Clips still? Mike is the fallback guy for a few scenarios that may not materialize.

Again... if we wanted to do a Melton like deal for Royce it might have been there (we trade Royce for dead salary and a first). Bogey should get more... JC is off the market I think based on the rumblings I hear from Locke and others. Mike's market is understandably dependent on like three upstream moves... what happens with Brunson? What happens with Brogdon? Are the Wizards able to land Tyus Jones with MLE? Then its do Memphis, Dallas have interest in Mike.... Clips still? Mike is the fallback guy for a few scenarios that may not materialize.
Memphis is a team that could potentially be interested in Mike if they lose Tyus and Melton in the same offseason.

Two FRPs, plus two pick-swaps, along with rotational players, is a good haul for Jrue Holiday, who was considered a top 30 - 40 player in the league. I think the Jazz would take that for Gobert right about now.
Bledsoe and Adams were just filler though they moved off of both guys after a year. The picks were years down the line so didn't really help them but they were also in major rebuild mode.

Rudy is also difficult to trade because anyone that trades for him has to shift the way that they play on both ends around his strengths. Guys like AD/Jrue fit well with any group or system.

Memphis is a team that could potentially be interested in Mike if they lose Tyus and Melton in the same offseason.
It will be dependent on what else they can get done but yes. I think they will target Bridges and some other guys first... but they could offer a somewhat ****** package of Konchar/Tillman/Green or something like that... we waive Green (he is now $7M guaranteed) We get a couple cheap rotation pieces (I actually like Konchar and Tillman) and we duck the tax... we could use taxpayer MLE in this scenario and still stay under tax.

Bledsoe and Adams were just filler though they moved off of both guys after a year. The picks were years down the line so didn't really help them but they were also in major rebuild mode.

The Milwaukee Bucks picks will kick in just after the Pels are done drafting with the Lakers picks. The two trades they made complement each other. Also, it gives the Bucks a chance to age out of their current window of contention.

The Milwaukee Bucks picks will kick in just after the Pels are done drafting with the Lakers picks. The two trades they made complement each other. Also, it gives the Bucks a chance to age out of their current window of contention.
That's true but Jrue/AD were also guys that fit in with contending level teams and are versatile enough to really fit with any group. Rudy is difficult to trade for because if you acquire him you're committed to building around him and fundementally changing the way you play on both ends of the court.

That's true but Jrue/AD were also guys that fit in with contending level teams and are versatile enough to really fit with any group. Rudy is difficult to trade for because if you acquire him you're committed to building around him and fundementally changing the way you play on both ends of the court.

Rudy fits in with any team that runs pick-and-roll actions. He can also switch defensively on the perimeter as well as play in drop coverage. His only limitation is that he doesn't space the floor on offense.

If we did trade Mike to Memphis we could do a sign and trade for Anderson which would make @KqWIN happy. They could help us drop far enough under the tax/apron to make that viable.

Rudy fits in with any team that runs pick-and-roll actions. He can also switch defensively on the perimeter as well as play in drop coverage. His only limitation is that he doesn't space the floor on offense.
Teams have been able to just go small and limit his effectiveness on defense and he's not good enough offensively to punish them for it. For a guy that's making $170M over the next 4 seasons I just don't really see a team that he puts into title contention.